1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
what can I say... I'm not gonna :drool: again :p in few moment it will be standard ;)

·
Banned
576 Posts
Is anyone even going to upgrade their computer to get top of the line graphics anymore? I mean after seeing all the next generation console games who is stupid enough to spend $400 for a pc graphic card now? Maybe the grahpic artists, but seriously, what pc game can even compare to the stuff at e3. I'd probably wait until the pc can have an advantage again to upgrade anything.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The thing that sucks (for our wallets) is that, PC will soon catch up and surpass the next-gen consoles and they are going to be *expensive*.

basic gamer's setup:
$200+ CPU
$300+ GPU
$250+ PPU
$100+ RAM
$100+ Mobo
$50+ PSU
$150+ etc.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I’m wondering if patches for already released games will be made to take advantage of this. Like Far cry and AMD 64.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Katsuya said:
I’m wondering if patches for already released games will be made to take advantage of this. Like Far cry and AMD 64.
Patches could probably be made to take advantage of it, but more than likely not since those game's weren't designed to use the power of a PPU. There isn't enough physics calculations done iin Far Cry to really use the PPU. Maybe if they were to add a tone of extra physics particles and objects, but that may take a bit longer and it's probably better to use the PPU for your next game. Not an older game.

It may help increase performance for the ragdoll effects in most of the older games, but not much else. HL2 with it's Havoc Physics engine may benefit from a PPU enabled patch though.

With these next gen console's being such physics powerhouses, PC gamer's are definately going to need a PPU to have the same kind of things on their end.

·
Registered
175 Posts
sims said:
Is anyone even going to upgrade their computer to get top of the line graphics anymore? I mean after seeing all the next generation console games who is stupid enough to spend $400 for a pc graphic card now?
You sir, are an idiot.. Every real gamer knows nothing can beat the PC in terms of playability/lastability.. and especially graphics, the new cards coming out towards the end of this year will see to what the next-gen consoles have.

There is nothing quite like having the freedom of internet gaming.. well, the consoles do have this feature now, but not nearly as good as the pc.. Especially if you have to use a controller instead of keyboard and mouse ;)

I have only just made my own setup and it cost somewhere in the range of £1400 and even more now because i have to buy some memory that got stolen :hdbash: . Incase you were wondering, that is well over 2 grand in dollars :p

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PiggyFlyer said:
You sir, are an idiot.. Every real gamer knows nothing can beat the PC in terms of playability/lastability.. and especially graphics, the new cards coming out towards the end of this year will see to what the next-gen consoles have.

There is nothing quite like having the freedom of internet gaming.. well, the consoles do have this feature now, but not nearly as good as the pc.. Especially if you have to use a controller instead of keyboard and mouse ;)
There is no need for disrespect. Everyone has their own opinions. Personally, I don't see PC's reaching the level of these new console systems anytime soon. Maybe once we get both a PPU and the next gen GPU's. Of course if price is consideration, then the consoles will reign supreme with their prices being much lower than a GPU+PPU upgrade.

I also hear that these next gen consoles will allow you to use your computer keyboard and mouse with them. Hence why these new consoles have USB ports as standard. ;)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>You sir, are an idiot.. Every real gamer knows nothing can beat the PC in terms of playability/lastability.. and especially graphics, the new cards coming out towards the end of this year will see to what the next-gen consoles have.

As are you 'sir'. This generation is already lightyears ahead of what we've seen from twin linked 6800Us. Looking further down your post at:

>I have only just made my own setup and it cost somewhere in the range of £1400 and even more now because i have to buy some memory that got stolen :hdbash: . Incase you were wondering, that is well over 2 grand in dollars :p

That explains why PCs are in trouble. £1k for a top end PC (At chrimbo I bought a top end PC for 1.1K for a friend of mine) with good graphics as developers work for the lowest common denominator, or ~£300 for a brand new console with spoogeworthy graphics blowing away what the PC is showing. As the consoles age, they will become more attractive as developers better get to gips with them showing of further graphical splendour and the prices fall.
There is something to be said for the console way:
  • You develop hardware specific to the purpose instead of relying on legacy hardware and architectures to drag down performance and ramp up R&D.
  • Developers get a chance to actualy get to grips with hardware instead of having to completely rewrite thier engine every year when new architecture appearss
  • Cost is kept down as hardware is standardised.
If MS or Sony release office packages for thier systems.....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am going to have to type differently after this, people are getting offended by my posts.. :p

I do agree that consoles are very good for the price, just simply saying the PC has the whole multimedia aspect.. Whether things will change is yet to be seen, hopefuly the PPU's will be released.. if they dont fail that is.. the only problem with another addon is that cash is once again put into the equation.

I also agree that graphics cards are too expensive, and has anyone noticed here that when doom 3 came out.. it wasnt totally smooth running? even when i had bought the 6800 ultra that is in my other setup the game was not without its jerkiness.

I think maybe they are not developing the cards good enough for the software made for it, otherwise every new game released should run full speed without any slow down. I hope things will change when new cards are released.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>I am going to have to type differently after this, people are getting offended by my posts.. :p

It's probably that sarcasm can't be typed well.

>I think maybe they are not developing the cards good enough for the software made for it, otherwise every new game released should run full speed without any slow down. I hope things will change when new cards are released.

Actualy the problem is that developers are either developing games for the lowest common denominator, making it look crap and not perform excessively well on newer HW (given that SM2.0 and SM3.0 added faster shader rendering along with the image quality increase), or games are developed for hardware that doiesn't exist, like in the case of Doom 3

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think that eventually consoles and PC's are just going to merge into a multimedai center, both platforms are heading that way, I'm telling you, you'll have your "computer" to surf the internet and do office work, and you'll have your mulitmedia center which will play games, music, movies, control your tv subscription (i.e. cable, sattilite, attenna), as well as some other minor things.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Hell that's already pretty much the way it is with my PC and XBox. I get all my media on hte PC and play it on the TV downstairs using my XBox accross the network.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts