Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
[Insert Ad Here]
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever wanted to run Mac apps on your PC or run PC apps on your Linux system. Well a company claims that it has software that can do just that.

Transitive Corp. of Los Gatos, California, claims its QuickTransit software allows applications to run "transparently" on multiple hardware platforms, including Macs, PCs, and numerous servers and mainframes.
Here's a little more from the article.

"This opens up a whole new world of things you can do, because previously software was tied to (a) particular processor," said president and CEO Bob Wiederhold. "It gives you access to a much greater diversity of software."

The company claimed QuickTransit eliminates the need to port software from one platform to another. Software applications written for one platform will run on almost any other, without any modifications to the underlying program.

For example, Wiederhold said QuickTransit will allow the next-generation Xbox (which will have a Mac-like PowerPC chip) to run first-generation Xbox software (which was written for an Intel chip).

In demonstrations to press and analysts, the company has shown a graphically demanding game -- a Linux version of Quake III -- running on an Apple PowerBook.

"One of the key breakthroughs is performance," Wiederhold said. "You can't tell the difference between a translated application and a native application."
For the entire article check here:
Wired News: Step Towards Unversal Computing

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Hmmm....I saw this earlier and thought about posting, but as I figured, somebody else did. I really don't think all the major companies would let software like this be made and released though. They'll use the old (new?) copyright excuse...our software is for our hardware only (consoles anybody?)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts