Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was thinking that since VGS and Bleem are dead so why don't they turn them into freewares.....I mean a no money.......!

Ali

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I'm not sure about the bleem situation, considering David isn't handing out much useful information, but VGS won't be freeware for the reason Nightmare said. There's a reason Sony bought VGS, and it certainly wasn't to have more people use it.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I actually quite much forgot that VGS is now a Sony's property. Well Bleem Bleem Bleem.........get free pleaseee

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
Originally posted by Hairybudda
Mebbe they can release the sources.....
In your dreams :dead:

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
that's an unnecesary thing, you can get epsxe for free, and it's a lot better...
but the many choices you got the better...... why epsxe is great? because you got many choices w/c plugin to use ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by Ryos
I'm not sure about the bleem situation, considering David isn't handing out much useful information, but VGS won't be freeware for the reason Nightmare said. There's a reason Sony bought VGS, and it certainly wasn't to have more people use it.
Yeah, VGS was actually good! :p

·
Registered
270 Posts
and sony claimed to work on further psx emulation w/ connectix n/ develope future softwares.

MY @$$

and it was their own fault, both vgs n bleems, that those 2 great emulators r now pretty much dead. emulation is all about free of cost of the softwares, n' if they didnt make those emulators "commercial" to start with.... hmmm

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
No, Emulation isn't about free....I honestly don't know how that "myth" came about. Pay emulators date back to the Commodore Amiga ( I still have a commercial C64 emulator that was released for it) Emulation begain as Pay/commercial. The Kind people that release emulators for free are great, they are doing it in there spare time, usually with no support or little support from people (I've seen people turn in an instant on emu programmers for little things that aren't deserving).
Most Freeware emu authors are coding for recognition and challenge (Kazzuya wen't from PSEMUPro to Square--Because square saw his talent and expertise with PSX conversion)
Don't you think that if they had no other income ANY emu author would charge??? Charging add's an element that isn't there for freeware authors in that people expect you to be god because they are paying (on second thought, I've people treat freeware authors that way too cause the author hasn't fixed XXX bugs)

Any way's my point is--> people need to get off the "Emus should be free" band wagon, cause they are on the wrong road heading for a cliff.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by dpence
Any way's my point is--> people need to get off the "Emus should be free" band wagon, cause they are on the wrong road heading for a cliff.
Bingo.... I gotta agree with you on that one.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hmmm... dpence, you may be right, but not everyone would charge it as you said... read these lines:

What can you do to help us:

Make sure to put a lot of money in the real Neo-Geo Arcades... they do deserve it! Don't support ANYONE that tries to make money on other peoples hard work... it seems like both romdumpers and emu authors have changed lately and a lot of them just want donations for either cartidges or payment for their rom/emulator. We think this hurts the very soul of emulation. In either case above go and buy the real stuff instead.

The italic text above was ripped from NeoRAGEx 0.6b "Readme.txt". It's not for the commodity of the emulator being free, but I should give credit to what they wrote there. It's about the "soul" of the thing... like: you may ask any *REAL* musician... s/he won't do it for money... if one is a real singer, with the heart, one will sing because of the passion s/he fells for it. It of course doesn't apply in /every/ situation on the emu scene, but it's just the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by dpence
Most Freeware emu authors are coding for recognition and challenge (Kazzuya wen't from PSEMUPro to Square--Because square saw his talent and expertise with PSX conversion)
Don't you think that if they had no other income ANY emu author would charge??? Charging add's an element that isn't there for freeware authors in that people expect you to be god because they are paying (on second thought, I've people treat freeware authors that way too cause the author hasn't fixed XXX bugs)

Since I'm mentioned I will reply 8)

It's a double edged sword, infact working on PSEmu definitely got me useful knowledge, but at the same time, VGS and Bleem managed to wake up Sony (because they weren't free) and turned emulation into hot waters. Infact I got hired at Squaresoft only because the tech-savvy VP liked me and insisted on hiring me, otherwise there was a lot of pressure to drop me because I was an "evil PSX emucoder".. thing that only came out after Sony got legal with VGS and Bleem indeed.

As a business I think Sony had many valid reasons, including the fact that no PSX emu ever really managed to avoid copied CDs ;)
Sony also had the legal right because both VGS and Bleem couldn't possibly have been created in that timeframe without "dirty" reversing ..and quite frankly, without checking the famous Sony docs.
VGS admitted to have used the original BIOS at one point, Bleem never admitted it and went as far as giving an interview to a game magazine where they said that Bleem was clean, "unlike PSEmu". That's when I started getting pissy at "Batman and Robin". I demanded a public excuse at the name of PSEmu and all I got was an even more pissy David that started talking about lawyers (I'm glad they got to use their famous lawyers after all ;)

In any case.. one problem is that emu users tend to think "psxemu15 runs tekken 3" therefore "psxemu15 is great !!".. basically it's hard to distinguish between the value of an emulator and the value of the original design of the architecture and of the software that is being emulated.
Sony and Namco have no problem if people think that Tekken is great because PSX is great or PSX is great because Tekken is great ...but they start growing upset when people associate the PlayStation and Tekken name brands to a comany that has no contract with them.

So, emulators, by being free they sound more like a sign of appreciation for the original consoles and software, and less like a chance to get rich after something that other companies have brought to popoularity with many years of work and tons of money advertising.

Now.. on the thing of emulators that are demanted to be free by users, that's not too right, and sometimes not even too good for the users.
I mean.. I've seen emulators of famous consoles starting and never being finished.. ..it's cool to make an emu, satisfaction and even popoularity.. but at the end of the day it's a lot of effort, especially for those that have full time jobs and a family to take care of.
Investing most of the free time into a project is definitely going to affect social life and at one point one starts thinking "why am I doing this ? It's not fun now that I have to fix all those details and I'm not getting any richer" or even "my parents/wife/girlfriend complain all day about me being stuck in front of the computer and not making a penny out of it".

If emucoders had the perspective of some remuneration, I can guarantee to you that you'd be playing Dreamcast games on your PC right now.. and possibly some simple PS2 demos (at 0.001 fps 8).

But as much as users shouldn't demand free emus, emucoders shouldn't demand full rights on commercial emulators revenues, since their are doing only half of the work.. the other half was made by Sony, Nintendo, Sega when they invested hundreds of millions to create their markets.

and..

bau !

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'm stuck in fear... :eyes: Great speech, dude. I never saw it like that as well...

·
King of the Maggots
4,131 Posts
well.....

Kazzuya, it's a pleasure to have hanging by here....

and.....well.. kazzuya is entirely right, the speech he gave was pretty logical.

I think that the emuauthors and emuworkers work a lot for free in these days, without expecting a penny back from it, and they offer us a great product. and we are still wanting dead emus free, while we have yet better ones and for free. we don't think on them when we use PSinex for example, we are used to say "great job kazzuya, now I can play...." and then 2 days after, if noone remembers the "great job" part just to think "now I can play....."

well..... besides, we don't even imagine these guys in front of a computer day and night, while they are needed for other things, like their families, their work, their life or whatever you want to add....

well, I can't really do a lot, hope this helps them....

GREAT JOB GUYS! WE WILL BE BY YOUR SIDE WHENEVER YOU WANT US!!! KEEP DOING LIKE THAT... WE WON'T EVER FORGET IT, AND I HOPE THAT YOU WILL BE REWARDED SOMEHOW FOR WHATEVER YOU DO!!!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Originally posted by kazzuya
But as much as users shouldn't demand free emus, emucoders shouldn't demand full rights on commercial emulators revenues, since their are doing only half of the work.. the other half was made by Sony, Nintendo, Sega when they invested hundreds of millions to create their markets.
I demand official (or licensed) emulators, which would be commercial of course. For some complicated reasons it just never happened throughout history.
Eventually when Sony stop selling PSOne's (when the market doesn't buy it anymore), maybe they can start selling VGS again... :eyemove: ... or not :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts