Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am console to the conclusion that documentation om specific arcade machines is not very easy to come by so i would liek someone to recommend a console that would be very easy to emulate.

Gameboy and NES are a bit more complicated than i gave credit for so those 2 remain half finished as i have little time for them. i guess cpu complexity is not to big of an issue for me, the video system is the issue i know i would have as well as sound, so something where those 2 are not to bad. if nothing else, at least a system with plenty of very good documentation would work, with gameboy and nes i spent far to much time having to hunt down proper documentation and still being given next to nothing useful :/.

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
well with the nes there is enough documentation from what i've seen; its just a bit difficult to piece it together.
but since my own nes emu is half-finished and not running games either, i guess i'm not the one to talk xD
(i've haven't worked on it in months due to pcsx2 + school + work taking up all my time)

as another project, ever thought about creating your own game next instead of an emulator?
maybe even a game for a console to better understand how the consoles are used.
(idk just throwing some ideas out ;p)

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
idk, i'd rather emulate the system than to make games for them, i know i am weird about it but thats how i do my emulators which seems to work pretty well, just when it comes to audio emulation i am not so good with it yet and video emulation, well i am better with it than audio lol.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nocash's gameboy and NES specs look very complete to me.
( NES, GB )
What are they missing?

You won't find documentation as complete for most other systems, unless you're willing to check open source emulators' source code.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
MBC 4 6 and 7 mappings, and the CGB bios is not fully emulated.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Try finding an older console with open source homebrew games for it. IMO it's easier to emulate a console that has homebrew to test it on rather than commercial games sometimes. Try writing your own code for game boy and write it in z80 assembly. That will make your life much easier when testing because you already know what to expect.

As for console reccomentations, try Sega Mark III. I think that is a good place to start. It uses a Zilog Z80 like the gameboy and it's VDP is very basic compared to the genesis. I would recommend Atari 2600 but since it has no VRam, then you have to emulate the TV screen yourself per scanline. Other than that, it's well documented and the atari age website has a section dedicated to programming it and homebrew. This will help you gain familiarity with this console if you decide to emulate it. I wouldn't have attempted Xbox if I never made any homebrew for it.

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to DAX, i have decided to work on an emulator for the pac-man arcade machine. i have what seems to be complete documentation and the rom files so i should have no issues getting the ball rolling on it this weekend, wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Excellent. I hope that this encourages you to one day do a complex emulator :) I just have this feeling that you are going to do a really popular emulator someday. HatoriPS3 anyone? lol

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just need to get better at graphics and audio emulation, so far i been awesome with cpu emulation. pac-man uses something similar to what nes and gb do with graphics so maybe this may help me with those 2(tile based rendering).

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
Keep it up Hatorijr!!!

Am checking right now some of the new features of DX11 as one of them caught my attention for emulation and that´s no other than "Tessellation" am familiar with that technique from the 3D modeling area... so all i need is to learn more about it and how to use it because i would love to see a PS1, PS2 or GC plugin using that technique and see how much it could improve meshes/models/scenes in older games such as ps1 or even n64 ones.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
I'm not familiar at all with how the plugin system for said emulators work, but AFAIK you would have to have access to the individual 3D models as a list of triangles in order to apply the tessellation before the rendering process kicks in? I mean, current filters are applied to the whole scene rather than on a model per model basis. Well then again tessellation is a pre rendering technique so it might as well make sense and in any case I am talking about things I don't know anything about. :p

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok so i am console to the conclusion that documentation om specific arcade machines is not very easy to come by so i would liek someone to recommend a console that would be very easy to emulate.

Gameboy and NES are a bit more complicated than i gave credit for so those 2 remain half finished as i have little time for them. i guess cpu complexity is not to big of an issue for me, the video system is the issue i know i would have as well as sound, so something where those 2 are not to bad. if nothing else, at least a system with plenty of very good documentation would work, with gameboy and nes i spent far to much time having to hunt down proper documentation and still being given next to nothing useful :/.
I really know its hard to ask but.
Try the PSP , no one worked on a Fully 100% PSP Emulation , only one was uncompleted and had 10% progress.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I'm pretty sure the PSP is a bit more complicated than what he is looking for. :rolleyes:

·
Emu author
1,488 Posts
If you want something that's all CPU and little peripheral hardware try ZX Spectrum. I'm sure a lot of other home computers would be good choices too.

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got a lot of the pac-man emu done, mainly needing to get the cpu core written and the rest should fall into place, really liking the project so far. hoping to learn a few things about tile rendering methods while working on this to so that i can later apply them to nes/gameboy at some point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts