Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· !!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Anything over 1 GHz, with 256-384MB ram and NVIDIA (NV is fastest on Framebuffer effects that PSX uses) GF3 or similar and Soundcard that is able to produce sound. PSX1 emulation is quite easy nowadays... :)

· Registered
654 Posts
Then I'd say it's the same as the ultimate PC gaming system (whatever that is), with the following additions:
  • DualShock->USB adapter. My Radio Shack model even supports rumble.
  • Your favorite Playstation controller. I'm partial to the Sony Dualshock 2; it's precise, durable and rugged.
  • A PS2 Max Shooter in order to use a mouse and keyboard for those rare Playstation FPS games like Medal of Honor, Alien Resurrection and Delta Force Urban Warfare.
  • A good joystick for use with flying games like Colony Wars and Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere. I like the Saitek Cyborg Evo, stay away from the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.
  • A Guncon for light gun games like Time Crisis.

Dan

· !!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
TheMaister said:
Nah.. I don't think that is an ultimate gaming system...

If you're going to run on max settings smoothly.. GF3 is simply not enough..

Hmmm... My old 800MHz Duron with Radeon 8500LE could handle pretty much everything with some exceptions. Only problem was just framebuffer effects that sometimes slowed down game to dia-show, thanks to ATI's sucky framebuffer handling. :dance:

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
the ultimate machine, for me, has a Voodoo5 PCI so you can use Lewpy's plugin....then a Geforce so you can use very high X and Y :evil:

then you need a USB PSX pad adapter...and you're set. i only have a voodoo2 but i do have the 6800 and a PSX adapter.

· Eh??
1,739 Posts
hushypushy said:
the ultimate machine, for me, has a Voodoo5 PCI so you can use Lewpy's plugin....then a Geforce so you can use very high X and Y :evil:

then you need a USB PSX pad adapter...and you're set. i only have a voodoo2 but i do have the 6800 and a PSX adapter.

Dude, I have to agree with you!! IMHO the Lewpy plugin is THE best plugin EVER!! In fact, its the ONLY reason I still have a Voodoo 3 card on my old computer!!!

· Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well other than Petes Open GL 2.0 (with the max X and Y) my system can do any game, any resolution at a constant 60fps ;) So err, yes buy my computer :p

· Registered
654 Posts
I just tried Lewpy's Glide 1.4 with Zeckensacks wrapper .84c on three games: Warhawk, Gran Turismo 2 Simulation Disk, and Chrono Cross. It worked with all three.

Zeckensack did promise that on ePSXe with an ATI Radeon card his wrapper would have horrendous performance and it did, with the FPS numbers dropping into the 20s or even single digits any time anything framebuffer-related was going on.

He says it should perform okay on nVidia GeForce cards - someone who has one will have to check that.

Dan

· !!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Ill try it. Hold on a sec.

*edit* It was slow as hell (though i believe it might be just settings. Im not familiar with Lewpys plugin). I tested with GT2 and Menus and 2D overall was fullspeed, but in 3D it slowed to 5 fps.

· Registered
654 Posts
Warhawk had no slowdowns, but I don't believe any of the in-game text is done using framebuffers. I suspect it's the combo of framebuffers and 3D that's killing performance, as either alone seems to run fine.

I could probably improve the performance by tweaking the settings, but I don't see the point; this was just a test to see if it would work at all.

Dan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.