Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've all heard of Mame right? The multi-arcade-machine-emulator. It basically emulates a whole bunch of different arcade systems. Well what if someone, mainly a person with a decent knowledge of emulation coding, decided to put together all the oldgen and nextgen emulators together to create one advanced clean emulation system that could basically play most of the games people wanted to emulate. It may work because many of the emulators are open source. Proper credit would be given to all teams/emulators/people who contributed any coding. And I'm sure even none open source would want to join the bandwagon.
Systems that should be included:
-snes
-nes
-sega mastersytem
-sega genesis
-gameboy (all types)
-n64
-psx
-dreamcast
-psx2 (when playable)
-xbox (when playable)
-gamecube
-others I'm sure I missed

I'm sure with a little work many of the plugins could be recentralized to work for the different systems eliminating the need for a seperate set for each system. Such as CDVD plugins could be set to detect and specify which core plugin to use for each system. Or a pad plugin could be set to a specifc set of buttons depending on the system and/or game. If I ever gain enough knowledge on emulation coding I may try one myself. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
while it seems good, what's the point? if someone wants to play any of those consoles they can just use one of the existing emu's. I don't think alot of people play all of those consoles in emulators which makes me think it may not be worth it

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the idea really is convienice* (sorry bout the spelling) . Imagine not needing to open a different emulator every time you wanted to run xyz game. Not only that, this program could act as a frontend for CDVD games so that when you poped one into your drive it would autostart. It could also be used to cleanup game names, orgainze your roms and plugins, and auto update automatically without searching the web everytime to see if a new plugin or version is available. It could also dynamicaly scan for new roms, or bios's or whatever. Instead of having say 20 different emulators in many folders with different plugins and such you could have one that would list all your games in a neat and convinient fashion in one simple and easy to use window. As well since all code would have to be assimilated into one specific language it may make future ports like say a mac or linux port much easier to code.
Oh and I just thought of another idea. It could also allow for the uploading of bug reports if say it crashes on a specific computer kinda link windows.... but much better allowing coders to try and fix problems that seem to be redundant in many systems.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Besides, it'd end up being crippled by MAME's biggest downside, it'd be damn slow.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Raziel said:
Besides, it'd end up being crippled by MAME's biggest downside, it'd be damn slow.
MAME is not trying that hard to get the games to run fast, I belieave that they are trying to acheave perfect emulation and dont care about the speed. I think this is it, but not shure. They got alot of frount-ends that make it run faster, FastMAME i think its called.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
god, yeah, i agree. i am WAY too lazy to browse through all my folders. i mean, epsxe for PSX, zsnes for NES, visualboyadvance for GBA....damn there are too many to list. while they're at it, emulation authors should also preload the game im imagining so i dont even have to click it.

..i hope you can sense the sarcasm. you know those people who say PCSX2 should emulate PSX perfectly too since that's what a PS2 can do? i hate em too. just use one emulator for each system, it's not that hard you know.

OT: viper_viper, about your sig...

"Not always dose a low number of posts make you a n00b"
well, maybe spelling "does" like "dose" would make you a n00b :p i dont mean to be a jerk, just pointing out a spelling error.

·
Registered
504 Posts
All I do is make a shortcut to the emulator and put all of them in my emulators folder, I dont even have to open the snes or psx folders! So I guess in a way, Windows is the Ultimate Emulator System.

hushy, making note of something that's been there as long as the user make you n00b. jk

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
yeah, you're right VDDZ. it's like, if you make the "ultimate emulator" you sitll have to browse through the ROMs or load the CDs, so why not just make a folder with shortcuts and just click on the emulator you want to use. plus, configuring that massive emulator for allllll those systems would be a ***** :p

hushy, making note of something that's been there as long as the user make you n00b. jk
maybe, i just noticed it now though :p

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hushypushy said:
yeah, you're right VDDZ. it's like, if you make the "ultimate emulator" you sitll have to browse through the ROMs or load the CDs, so why not just make a folder with shortcuts and just click on the emulator you want to use. plus, configuring that massive emulator for allllll those systems would be a ***** :p
Well my idea was really to have the emulator do it all for you... like auto browse for game roms. Detect inserted cds. and with a centralized plugin system set your pc configs and it auto-sets up each system for you.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really hope that one day... sometime soon I will be able to create such as program. Though I doubt I will have sufficient knowledge for quite some time before being able to start. Though when I am able to begin it should progress very quickly. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Coolsvilleman said:
Well my idea was really to have the emulator do it all for you... like auto browse for game roms. Detect inserted cds. and with a centralized plugin system set your pc configs and it auto-sets up each system for you.
i thought about this for a bit. there cant be any lazier way to go about this. let's see...you cant open up a program, spend 100 seconds of your life configuring it to all your needs, and yet another 10 seconds manually going to "File---Run CD-ROM"???? i'm sorry, but..your idea just flies right over my head. i cant believe you would actually need/want a program to do literally EVERYTHING? do you want it to play the game for you too?

oh well. Apathy, folks---it's the american way :thumb:

·
KO'ed User
935 Posts
It is a good idea, but just to think how long would it take to actually to run any of the above mentioned? 1 Emu takes a long time to develop, let's say, near decent speed and other stuff. And other, just imagine, how long would a sub menu be? Let's say you click Open, and some huge list pops out, asking you what do want to open? To create such a ultimate emulotor, we wound need a ultimate crew. Just imagine, makers of such emus like ZSNES, PJ64, VBA and others to work together to create such a thing. No way. One is certain. This would a job, AT LEAST 15 decent programmers with knowladge (bad sp) how to create such a thing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Your suggestion is good but not practical. Its like painting your whole house and then wanting to paint it all over again when your done because you found a paintroller that is easier to use....you know what I mean? The time it would take to actually develope such a multiplatform emulator from scratch is just too much.

A multi-emulator frontend that was scripted would be much much easier.
That's a good idea :thumb: And shouldn't take ages to develope.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
or you could just auto-execute the scripts yourself. (i.e. browse over to the ePSXe folder). the only auto-execution programs that are useful are ePSXecutor and Delta that pick the right config for you so you dont have to futz with gfx settings every time....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts