Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to use Fraps to record some gameplay videos off of ePSXe. I'm basically recording pre-made videos off of Darkman's GPU player. This was a fairly system-friendly method of making videos and it's basically the only one that will work for me (recording as I play with Fraps/Camtasia/the built-in recorders, as opposed to recording with Darkman's GPU Recorder, is just murder on this laptop).

Now, I don't claim to be an expert on Fraps, but I can't come up with a bloody reason for the issues I'm having. First off, Fraps will only actually register the player (emulator) if I'm specifically playing the videos at a 320X240 windowed resolution. Any higher and the program won't even recognize that I'm trying to record. It's so weird. On those settings I'll hit a hotkey to start recording and it picks up fine. Immediately try to go higher or record on full screen mode and nothing bloody well picks up at all. No other settings on the plugins/Fraps are changed between trying this, so what gives, really? I know for a fact Fraps can record at much higher resolutions so it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I could suck it up and deal with the low resolution except for an even more senseless problem; the AVIs made by Fraps for some reason stick the whole game footage into a little box on the corner of a large black screen, so that basically the actual video is blackness with 1/4 of the screen containing the gameplay, which basically makes editing impossible for me.

Now there's one thing I could garner from all this, which is that's how it's supposed to be and I'm just too stupid to know that/how to work with the outputted AVI file in an editing program or VirtualDub or something. Even if that's the case it doesn't really tell me anything about why the program plum refuses to recognize ePSXe if the resolution is set any higher than 320X240 (to be certain I actually tried using Fraps while playing a game on the emulator itself, but same problem).

I know this a very specific issue to expect an answer on, but I also know there are some users who've used this very technique (capturing a movie with GPU Recorder and then recording that with some alternate program like Camtasia/Fraps/what-have-you) so I'm hoping maybe one of them will pop up and say "Oh, you're an idiot. Here's how you're SUPPOSED to _____________".

Pwease? :(

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
What Fraps version are you using?

What version of ePSXe are you using?

What graphics plugin are you using?

What version is your graphics plugin?

What OS are you using?

On those settings I'll hit a hotkey to start recording and it picks up fine. Immediately try to go higher or record on full screen mode and nothing bloody well picks up at all.
Why the hell are you switching resolutions after starting recording? You can't do that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What Fraps version are you using?

What version of ePSXe are you using?

What graphics plugin are you using?

P.E.Op.S Soft Driver

What version is your graphics plugin?

What OS are you using?

Windows XP Professional SP2 (2002) 32-bit

Why the hell are you switching resolutions after starting recording? You can't do that.
No, no, I meant if I try to start recording under the same pretenses on a higher resolution, it won't register that I'm trying to record. I'm not switching resolutions while a recording is already started, that would be... retarded.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
are you using the freeware version or the full?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
it doesn't and won't work. using the opengl 2.9 plugin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That makes no sense that it would work at all for a specific resolution, then...

Which ends up giving me this, so I guess you wouldn't really call it 'working'.

That's a picture taken off the actual finished AVI with GomPlayer, btw.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
its how the effects are put to screen that does it.

the image should show in 1.77 and peopsoft gpu, and gsdx.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.