Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well Unfortunetly Ive had a bad night I finally got all my components for my new rig and ran into the great gigabyte memory posting problem on the ep45-ud3p board a**holes sent me the v 1.6 and not 2.0 were it was supposibly fixed.

so Im looking to buy another brand most likely asus but we'll see,I need a good mobo but not to pricey the point of my rig is to run pcsx2 at max or high as possible anyway I bought the board Im returning for 135 so Im looking for a board in that price range I got e8400 2x2 gig 1056 g skills,radeon 4870 vapor-x gpu,750 w rosewill psu,and falman 9500a fan/heatsink so I need a mobo to correspond with all that so if anyone has some good ideas please send them this way it would help a whole lot, oh and Id like a mobo that can take higher then what I got for memory just incase I decided to upgrade a bit later thanks guys.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
DFI.

I bought the Gigabyte UD5P model so I made it through unscathed. Asus has been getting more and more expensive lately. DFI boards are for serious OCers and match Asus boards and often exceed them in overclockability and OC features all while costing less.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DFI.

I bought the Gigabyte UD5P model so I made it through unscathed. Asus has been getting more and more expensive lately. DFI boards are for serious OCers and match Asus boards and often exceed them in overclockability and OC features all while costing less.
I know Nothing of DFI's products so I'll have to look into it,it seems like a less known company, but that doesnt mean it isnt good so thanks masta g DFI is one Ill check out any other suggestions please continue to share everyone so I can weigh some options on my final decision.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
DFI has been around for years (Lanparty series, anyone?). They're a good motherboard company. I bought a Gigabyte mobo this time around because I was curious. This is indeed my first Gigabyte board and I'm pretty happy with it. It OCs very well, but I still miss all of the additional OC options and configs and profiles that DFI boards offer.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
DFI has been around for years (Lanparty series, anyone?). They're a good motherboard company. I bought a Gigabyte mobo this time around because I was curious. This is indeed my first Gigabyte board and I'm pretty happy happy with it. It OCs very well, but I still miss all of the additional OC options and configs and profiles that DFI boards offer.
yeah it sounds pretty good how about evga or biostar whats the word on these kind of boards any good?

Im searching a bit and I found this for the same price as the gigabyte board Im sending back http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131377

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
No idea about evga (no personal experience). Biostar used to have a pretty bad reputation years ago and I have seen quite a few of those boards fail. Things may have changed over the years. I still don't trust 'em!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No idea about evga (no personal experience). Biostar used to have a pretty bad reputation years ago and I have seen quite a few of those boards fail. Things may have changed over the years. I still don't trust 'em!
yeah, I dont know sometimes it seems like theres slim pickings, I read reviews about some of these boards even the better ones and it seems all of em have some type of flaw with them, like either they dont post the right memory spd or they dont recognize pci express gpu's. Im a lil hesitant to buy some unless they have mostly all great reviews only cause this headache lasted me all night tonight trying to toy with the gigabyte and I dont want to have to keep sending them back and paying shipping everytime so hopefully I can find a reliable good board, but with you guys help im sure Ill come out with something good.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Well, on the socket AM3 platform, I know the Gigabyte boards are trustworthy. You can't go wrong with Asus, but there's the issue of price.

Another thing to keep in mind is that reading the reviews on newegg is pretty pointless these days, it seems. I've read through countless reviews while choosing the parts for my current system. I would often see complaints where I could clearly see that the user did something wrong. One case involved a user trying to get an AM2+ processor to fit in an AM3 board. Of course, his complaint was that the board's socket was manufactured incorrectly and gave it a one star rating.

When choosing a wireless LAN card, I actually bought a refurbished Linksys card. New ones cost like $75, but this one was $20. Why did I risk a refurb? After reading several reviews of the card, I realized that most of the complaints were from complete idiots. One guy expected to get wireless internet without a wireless router or any other kind of access point. When the card arrived, it included a list of repairs. The Linksys tech wrote, "Passed all tests. No problems, as usual." I popped it in and connected the (included) antenna and waalaa... worked just fine. Connected after I input my security code and was receiving 98% signal through several walls with the router about 30ft away.

Also, most people seem to only rate a product when they had serious trouble with it whether it's genuine problems or some retard that forgot to flip on the "on" switch on the power supply. People who have good experiences with their products generally don't come back to the site to rate them. Furthermore, there are trolls that seem to be popping up occasionally that give a one star or five star rating to a product without even buying it! They often openly admit this in their post or write something like, "HAHA YOU AMD **** CAN KISS MY A$$ INTEL FTW!!!!!!1111" So yeah, you really should take the scores with a grain of salt.

Sorry for the wot.:(

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My DFI boards is flaky and their support is terrible. I wouldn't get another one.

I recommend Asus.
If I get asus what model should I be looking at?? I just want a board thats decent stable and will post in dual channel mode with ddr2 1066 it seems like alot of boards have been having trouble doing this alot that I see seem to post at 800 and or dont post in dual channel I mean wtf? frustrating it is.

Well, on the socket AM3 platform, I know the Gigabyte boards are trustworthy. You can't go wrong with Asus, but there's the issue of price.

Another thing to keep in mind is that reading the reviews on newegg is pretty pointless these days, it seems. I've read through countless reviews while choosing the parts for my current system. I would often see complaints where I could clearly see that the user did something wrong. One case involved a user trying to get an AM2+ processor to fit in an AM3 board. Of course, his complaint was that the board's socket was manufactured incorrectly and gave it a one star rating.

When choosing a wireless LAN card, I actually bought a refurbished Linksys card. New ones cost like $75, but this one was $20. Why did I risk a refurb? After reading several reviews of the card, I realized that most of the complaints were from complete idiots. One guy expected to get wireless internet without a wireless router or any other kind of access point. When the card arrived, it included a list of repairs. The Linksys tech wrote, "Passed all tests. No problems, as usual." I popped it in and connected the (included) antenna and waalaa... worked just fine. Connected after I input my security code and was receiving 98% signal through several walls with the router about 30ft away.

Also, most people seem to only rate a product when they had serious trouble with it whether it's genuine problems or some retard that forgot to flip on the "on" switch on the power supply. People who have good experiences with their products generally don't come back to the site to rate them. Furthermore, there are trolls that seem to be popping up occasionally that give a one star or five star rating to a product without even buying it! They often openly admit this in their post or write something like, "HAHA YOU AMD **** CAN KISS MY A$$ INTEL FTW!!!!!!1111" So yeah, you really should take the scores with a grain of salt.

Sorry for the wot.:(
yeah I can see what you mean about some, they do seem pretty idiotic with some of the stuff they give bad reviews about but one thing they were right about was this board I bought that had problems posting memory in dual channel and even if they did get it to it would only post it as 800 not 1066,Im thinking maybe it was just this particular board but the multiple reviews on the same problem have kind of made me think twice so Im not to sure on what to do should I send it back and get the same one and hope the last was just faulty or should I just go with another model or company thats what Im racking my brain about.

and its cool no prob masta g

·
Tyrant
555 Posts
I am currently looking for a new setup too...
and those 3 Asus Boards got a lot of good reviews worldwide:
Asus P5Q Deluxe DDR2 1333MHz (p45 chipset)
Asus P5Q-E DDR2 1333MHz (p45 chipset)
Asus P5E3 PRO DDR3 1600MHz (x48 chipset)

...and they are at an affordable price, which is important for me too.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
X48 chipset all the way.
you think so?? yeah I was thinking about that chipset or the x38 but I dont know yet I'll keep searching see what I can find that might be good Ill post some that Im looking at let me know how you guys feel about the particular board if anyone knows about it.

I seen this one here looks pretty good price and all but its a open box mobo from newegg so I dont know how I feel about that so here check it out let me know what you all think. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131317R

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
don't get Open box ever.
yeah I dont think im going to anyways at the time I thought that was the only one they had available on the site but they have a brand new one for only 30 more so it doesnt look like a bad deal its a bit more then mine now but if I can get it to work without headache then ill pay extra only thing is though Im worried about the compacitors around the cpu socket and weather it will get in the way of my cooler. :\

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
ASUS all the way, failing that, Gigabyte

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.