Next Generation Emulation banner

Celebrate with a release/download party ?

• Hell yeah

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No way

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Sure, but send me free stuff first

Votes: 10 41.7%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canonical just pushed the final builds for Ubuntu Karmic Koala. Reams of updates since 9.04, most notably:

- Faster booting with Upstart (sleeker-looking too)
- Software Center
- Latest GNOME with Empathy instead of Pidgin
- Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud Images
- Online backup/storage for Ubuntu users: Ubuntu One
- Linux kernel 2.6.31
- New Intel video driver architecture
- ext4 filesystem by default
- GRUB 2 by default
- etc

Overview:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910overview

Download:
Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Is this new GRUB version less intrusive then the previous? I really hate GRUB, even if you hibernate your Windows install and then resume, GRUB still asks you to choose an OS (it only continues to resume if you choose Windows, otherwise it'll boot into Linux by default).

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Well its nice to see linux advance (especially in a user friendly system like ubuntu tries to be) and i hope it does it even better in the future, microsoft holding monopoly over the OS's is not a good thing (and what better rival than a free one ? XD). But until i can see proper ati support i can't say i'm all that interested in it.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
are the intel drivers fixed yet?

if not, ill pass.

edit:
- New Intel video driver architecture
ok ill try it out later then to see if its working better.

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
Hmm... somehow I don't see much of a reason to try this version. =S

Is this new GRUB version less intrusive then the previous? I really hate GRUB, even if you hibernate your Windows install and then resume, GRUB still asks you to choose an OS (it only continues to resume if you choose Windows, otherwise it'll boot into Linux by default).
Better is to install it on a different drive as main (disabling other drives first), then just boot into linux using the BIOS start up option (usually F8 or so). That way you avoid the hassle with boot loaders. >_<

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Yeah but then you have to go through the hassle of changing boot priorities each time you want to boot into a different OS >_<

·
Lurker
321 Posts
This doesn't happen because GRUB is "intrusive" it happens because of the way Hibernation works. It does that with LILO or any third party bootloader as well. Also, you can change grub to boot windows by default instead of linux (or neither), as well as changing the decision time.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Hey guys.

I am trying to install this on my laptop, but it doesn't recognize my windows 7 partition and ask me to delete everything.

How do I get it to see my windows 7 partition.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey guys.

I am trying to install this on my laptop, but it doesn't recognize my windows 7 partition and ask me to delete everything.

How do I get it to see my windows 7 partition.
manually partition your disk. There should be an option for advanced partitioning or something along those lines. Resize whatever partition you want and then make 2 partitions out of the freed up space. Make one take up all of the space but like 2 gigs and then make a 2 gig one for your swap file (it isn't really needed anymore, but it is good to have just in case).

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Ok I'll boot into windows 7 and resize those partitions.

But what format should I use for those partitions on windows7?

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
Yeah but then you have to go through the hassle of changing boot priorities each time you want to boot into a different OS >_<
Just the first time though, then you only have to press F8 (or the corresponding key) during boot to boot from the other drive. I prefer it rather than having boot loaders around that get messed up. >_<

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
i tried ubuntu didnt really care for it that much for some reason i went and used studio64 which was a bit better in my opinion until i found pclos which is perfect for me i use the gnome version sence i honestly dont care for kde that much at all. its just a headache for me while gnome is simplier in my opionion to use.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
What's so different between server and desktop versions?
I'm going to try the server version, mainly to compile my Java programs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What's so different between server and desktop versions?
I'm going to try the server version, mainly to compile my Java programs.
mainly the server version comes with the neccesarry server tools and it doesn't use the GUI, so you will either have to use the terminal or install a gui if you need it.

·
Whistler
133 Posts
I use GNU/Linux regularly but I don't like ubuntu, as ubuntu just lacks too much GUI stuff (e.g., edit configuration files or using command line are required for setting up samba or apache with ubuntu but not with fedora/opensuse/mandriva/etc., and ubuntu also lacks a control-panel replacement while YaST in opensuse does it well) and didn't qualify what it boasts :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well its nice to see linux advance (especially in a user friendly system like ubuntu tries to be) and i hope it does it even better in the future, microsoft holding monopoly over the OS's is not a good thing (and what better rival than a free one ? XD). But until i can see proper ati support i can't say i'm all that interested in it.
Man I would love to see Linux topple the king of the mountain and release M$'s strangle hold on the industry. And Ubuntu would be the distro to do it, but unfortunately I don't see that happening. Ati support for one, but there is so much more to it. :(

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.