Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I wanted to know whether I could use two internet connections on a single pc. I have a wired broadband internet connection and a wifi connection which works on my laptop as it has wifi.
the wired connection is slower 200kbits/s connection and the wifi one is faster but I don't know the speed.

Is there a way to use both of their bandwidths at the same time for the same task, say online gaming?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
No, it's either one or the other, not both working in tandem.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
unless you use a device capable of teaming the connections together.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Like?
(this is not a sarcastic response it's a curious one)

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
dual lan mobo's are those capable of doubleteaming? :p

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Well, if you're thinking about using two internet connections to download one file, never heard of it. Unless you're using routers with load balancing, but they costs like thousands of money.

But it's possible to use a different connection PER download though. It means different files.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
dual lan mobo's are those capable of doubleteaming? :p
Dual gigabit LAN is actually designed to have one run off the internet and the other as a local network connection. It's very useful to the home power user who transfers a lot between his computers and doesn't want to bog down his internet speed. I've heard of many users also using cross over cables to use a port as another router port if their router is out of open slots :lol:

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if you're thinking about using two internet connections to download one file, never heard of it. Unless you're using routers with load balancing, but they costs like thousands of money.

But it's possible to use a different connection PER download though. It means different files.

yes I wanted to do the same.

redlof, for simplicity's sake, no you can't.

Many businesses do it but use expensive equipment for load balancing. For the home user it's not practical.

I don't have any extra equipment, so I'll let it be as it is.

Dual gigabit LAN is actually designed to have one run off the internet and the other as a local network connection. It's very useful to the home power user who transfers a lot between his computers and doesn't want to bog down his internet speed. I've heard of many users also using cross over cables to use a port as another router port if their router is out of open slots :lol:

My desktop computer has two LAN cards but only one is gigabit. other one is a cheap lan card that I bought separately for my old computer since it did not have one, now I use it to connect my laptop to my desktop to transfer files.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
That's the magic of it. You don't need a router or switch nowadays if you want to set up a simple 2-3 computer network. Most motherboards, the good ones anyways, come with 2 ethernet ports now. Just grab yourself a cross over cable, or even make one yourself and spend nothing on network components, and voila, simple home cabled network :D

One of my friends nearly hugged me to death when I told him I could set up both his computers to the internet without having to buy a router (studying abroad university student with no money :p)

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the magic of it. You don't need a router or switch nowadays if you want to set up a simple 2-3 computer network. Most motherboards, the good ones anyways, come with 2 ethernet ports now. Just grab yourself a cross over cable, or even make one yourself and spend nothing on network components, and voila, simple home cabled network :D

One of my friends nearly hugged me to death when I told him I could set up both his computers to the internet without having to buy a router (studying abroad university student with no money :p)

I once did the same with something called as net bridge or something like that, cant remember the name now.
Though I was taught how to make a crossover cable in computer class but I don't remember how to do it now. So I bought one from computer shop, funny thing was the guy did not know what crossover cable was :lol: so I said LAN cable and he understood.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts