Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,398 Posts
and whats the size of your TV? at first try 640x480, than if you will be able to clearly see everything adjust it till you will be satisfied (and have comfortable view) :)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
i always used 640x480, higher res is overkill and lower res is meh....unless you have an LCD or a special monitor that does higher res, of course.

·
Registered
654 Posts
DVD resolution is 720x480 squeezed horizontally to fit in a 4:3 aspect ratio, or stretched horizontally to fit in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

That's a quality compromise between regular TV (640x480), and widescreen (not HD) TV (854x480).

So unless it's a widescreen or HD TV, 640x480 should do fine.

Dan

·
Registered
654 Posts
I play PS1 games centered ("normal") on my non-HD widescreen. Except WipEout 3, which supports widescreen so I play that one on "full". A few that don't have anything important at the very top or bottom I play on "cinema", which zooms in and keeps 4:3 which means cutting off the top and bottom.

After a while of playing on "normal" or watching regular 4:3 TV you get to where you don't even notice the black bars on the left and right any more.

Dan

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok i just tryed it, Had a few problems. This not really EpsxE but more so computer question hope thats ok :) I got the video to work but had a few problems. I switch the TV to my main display but when i load any DirectX applaction it says i need DirectX and dumpes me to desktop. I want to have both the tv and computer having the same image at the same time. Possible?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can. First, go to start, run, type in "dxdiag", enter and wait for a window to pop up. It should say directX diagnostic tool. Look at the bottom of the window and find "direct x version" and report back.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
i know most standard t.v.s are 640x480 but also try 800x600 if you have a half decent t.v. like mine the picture will be much clearer.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
i can actually display 1024x768 on my TV (i do so when im watching TV shows on it via svideo out) but 640x480 looks best for emulation IMO. i guess you just gotta explore and try it out?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Ok the main probem im having is the tv im trying to do this on is kinda crappy. I think my tv will work with 640x480 but it wount let me lower my res that low. It only let me drop it to 800x600 and i still get that DX error

·
Registered
654 Posts
Let me see if I understand your setup...

Your video card has multiple output jacks. One is for VGA, and this you connect to your computer monitor. One or more of the others are for television, and it's one of these that you connect to your TV.

Can you play video to the TV output (such as DVDs or AVIs)? If so, it may indicate that what's going on is that your card has separate video circuitry for computer monitors and for TV. The first would have the 3D rendering stuff and support DirectX. The second would have only overlay support and thus would show only 2D stuff - your desktop and videos.

In that case, what you'd need to play games on your TV would be a converter that converts the VGA signal that's supposed to go to your monitor (or to a second monitor if your card has twin VGA output jacks) into something the TV can use.

Dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.