Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many people are using crt tvs to display emulation?

i'm using one and while the image is good, as designed for by psx, the sound is choppy.
some games are better than others, but the same game using same settings sounds fine on pc monitor, so im not sure if its my settings, the tv, or just dual view in general.

if there's anyone else using this method to display their games i'd be interested in reading your results

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
sorry, If we wanted to experience the game on a TV we'd use a playstation.

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Displaying emulators on a crt tv correctly is not something the 'S-Video tv-out' can do anyway.
For that you need:
- a special device called 'scan converter' (good ones like Extron Emotia are now rare)
- or a pc setup with an 'ArcadeVGA' gfx card (a bit weak and not very user-friendly)
- or to mess up with a custom made 'VGA->Scart cable' and tweaking softwares like 'PowerStrip' or 'Soft15KHz' (tedious and potentially dangerous for your hardware).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sorry, If we wanted to experience the game on a TV we'd use a playstation.
well i'd rather experience the games using the type of screen they were designed for, without the graphical limitations being emphasized by pixel perfect monitors, while still enjoying the graphical benefits emulation offers. not to mention the ability to run NTSC games on a pal tv without tedious patching etc.... but that's just me.

but the image is not the issue here, its the sound. i have both displays side by side and can drag the emulation window from one to the other. when it's on the pc monitor the sound is fine, when moved over to the tv the sound becomings choppy and stutters. this happens whether running full screen or windowed; with second display disabled or enabled...
incidentally, the image is drastically improved using the crt tv. the low resolution and natural pseudo-antialiasing effect looks great, even a highly configured emulator cannot accurately recreate the original psx-to-tv look, but i am intrigued by what you wrote LensLarque, hopefully you can explain more...
the image looks just like how i remember my psx games looking, maybe i'm missing something.
also the games i'm playing mainly consist of pre-rendered backgrounds using a fixed resolution so obviously they look much less pixallated on the tv

PS. the music runs ok, it's mainly sound effects and speech that stutters. also, im using composite connection, which i believe is similar to original PSX connection

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry haven't replied in awhile.
i was gonna give up, but i really wanna play psx games on a crt tv even if i have to replace my actual decrepit psx.

im using latest versions of pSX and epsxe
for epsxe i'v played around with pete's opengl 1.77/ 2.9, pete's d3d, p.e.op 1.18 and for sound i'v used eternal spu plugin 1.41 + lite, p.e.op dsound 1.9 and epsxe spu core 1.7.0.

i've been testing different games and settings and realised some things
- NTSC sound is fine when v-sync is turned off
- PAL games run fine with or without v-sync

the simply solution would be to play without v-sync, but screen tearing is very noticable, even on my old tv, it's just not something i ever consider, i hate tearing!

so i suppose my issue is related to playing an NTSC game via emulator to an english 50hz PAL tv? or maybe thats just coincidence...

one more question.. can anyone tell me if the real psx had v-sync enabled, is it even sonething relevant to console gaming? im asking coz i'v seen one for £7 in great condition, so may giv up with the emulation, but only as a last resort as i want the improved visuals

thanks ppl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts