Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I've read a couple of threads on this forum, so I'd thought I'd give a shot at asking here.

Received a pvr-150MCE very recently (YesterdaY) and am happy with it for the most part. Got config how I like it in dscaler etc, (Though if anyone could supply better settings from someone more expereinced, that would be great, as I am still new to this and the settings probably are not optimum)

All my PAL games play fine, but I also have a large bunch of NTSC games as well. When I try to play these with dscaler, the image is flickering and all messed up. I tried to change the video standard settings to NTSC, but whenever I click on that, it gives me an error.

Please if anyone could help me out with this, it would be great. I want to do away with the TV altogether (space concious). So if theres another program or something that will do it for me, that'd be fine.

I'm using a composite (Single yellow one?) at the moment, I have orderd an s-video cable, but that will probably not arrive till after the weekend. Would the s-video solve my problem you think? Or is it something else?

Any help/input is appreciated.

thank you.

I will of course add more information if need be.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You're video is messing up b/c you have to play NTSC games under NTSC (60hz), Pal runs at 50hz, that is why you're picture is "all messed up". It could be that you're card can't run at 60hz, make sure you're card supports NTSC before you do anything else, then try another program and see if you can switch to NTSC. What brand is you're card btw?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
neoxalucard has it right. I need to add though that TV cards are just like the older CRT televisions in that they are region specific. You would need an NTSC capable TV card to play your NTSC games through it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh, thanks for the replies. In an act of stupidity I forgot to mention that I think my card does actually do NTSC/PAL. It's one of the reasons I purchased it. Here is a link to the product page.It doesn't make mention of it on that page, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere, unless I was horribly mistaken.

I'm not really familiar with capture software, so what would be a decent alternative to dscaler to try with it?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Try VirtualDub. It's normally used to capture external video sources, but it can be set up for normal TV viewing as well. It also gives you low-level access to your capture card's DirectShow capture driver settings.

I have an ATI 650 USB (it sucks) and I was able to get it running perfect (no lag) in VDub. It took quite a bit of driver tweaking, but it definitely works.

I also remember seeing a section where I could specify my region. Normally I keep it set to NTSC_U (US and Canada), but I could, for instance, set it to PAL_1 (Europe) if I so choose. I believe the same can be done with your card.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Heh, thanks for the replies. In an act of stupidity I forgot to mention that I think my card does actually do NTSC/PAL. It's one of the reasons I purchased it. Here is a link to the product page.It doesn't make mention of it on that page, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere, unless I was horribly mistaken.

I'm not really familiar with capture software, so what would be a decent alternative to dscaler to try with it?
Try any other software, DScaler isn't what came with you're card is it?

avsmedia

gbpvr

got all media

tvoon

Mediaportal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well It's not what came with my card no, but from what I've read most software that comes with the cards are terrible. Which is the case of the one that came with mine, it doesn't even show anything on the composite channel. But thanks, I will check it out with some of those when I get home.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Dscaler can do this just fine, though a screenshot of the issue, and knowing what your current settigns are would help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dscaler can do this just fine, though a screenshot of the issue, and knowing what your current settigns are would help.
Thanks, will get some screenshots up asap. (As soon as I get back from work)
Settings at the moment are pretty much reverted to default, as I reinstalled dscaler last night, trying to get it to fix the error when selecting one of the two NTSC video standard options. (Didn't actually work though =/ ) But will post them as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It probably could, but if he were to try different software and didn't have the same problem we would know it's an compatibility with DScaler and his card.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
;) shush and let the adults speak mikey lol.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
It probably could, but if he were to try different software and didn't have the same problem we would know it's an compatibility with DScaler and his card.

Its not a problem with dscaler and his card :rolleyes:

·
Registered SuperKyo
3,000 Posts
;) shush and let the adults speak mikey lol.
I'm just saying what I have in my life :p

I have a pretty crappy LCD screen. Could that be a cause of the problem?
I thought seeing as the refresh rate on monitors is like usually 60Hz default, that wouldn't be a problem, as NTSC=60hz No?
Yeah, NTSC = 60hz, that can be the problem that your TV is not handling it.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I have a pretty crappy LCD screen. Could that be a cause of the problem?
I thought seeing as the refresh rate on monitors is like usually 60Hz default, that wouldn't be a problem, as NTSC=60hz No?

ah, the problem is most consoles are interlaced, rather then progressive, so you have to deinterlace the source feed otherwise you will notice lines flowing up and down the screen.

First things first, get Dscaler 4.1.17 beta.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just saying what I have in my life :p

Yeah, NTSC = 60hz, that can be the problem that your TV is not handling it.
Sorry, could you elaborate a bit on that then? I'm using my LCD monitor, refresh rate is set to 60hz, (I don't think I can put it higher than that((As I said , pretty crappy)) a 60hz signal should display fine on a monitor that is doing 60hz anyway right?

If this is all off track then just ignore it...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Shall get that when I get home I have 4.1.15 atm. What's the next step? You know, just incase when I get home, you've all gone somewhere else? and I'm stuck for a day with it like that.
Go ahead and grab the DScaler Beta, although I don't think this will fix you're problem. If it does infact do the same thing as the stable version, then grab some different software and update you're drivers (probably should have done that first).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.