Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I'm new to XBOX emulation, and I had a question about the only playable game, Turok.
With the older version of CXBX (O.7.8) I could get the intro movie of turok to run, but the game would close itself and go back to the cxbx GUI. With the latest version, 0.8.0, the game will show the acclaim logo and such, but it crashes before the intro movie with the attached message.
Can someone explain what I need to do to get the game working? There doesn't seem to be many options to mess with but I still can't figure it out.

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what to tell you. But is your version of 0.8.0 from the CVS sourceforge page or the Homepage? depending on which, you may get weird results.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it from NGEMUs webpage xbox section. The website only has up to 0.7.8.
Well, I guess my new question is, which version is the best one for succeeding at getting turok to work?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the most recent version, and the game still crashes after the intro movie. Should i list my specs maybe?

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you know how, download the version from SF and use that. Apparently that works fine, or so i'm told because i never did it before :'(

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
my guess is that it could not create the overlay surface...

seriously, thats basically the problem. for some reason your card is claiming support for overlays but it is unable to initialize one. this could be because you have media player or some other overlay-using application open

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just so we're not confused about what version I'm using, it's 0.7.8c whcih I got from the download section of the CXBX website.
Also, the graphics card I'm using is a GEforce 4 MX 440. Yes It's crap.
Has anyone successfully run turok with this version of cxbx?
As for the overlay surface comment, that only happened with the 0.8.0 version that I got from the NGEMU website. The version you can download from the cxbx website is the 0.7.8 version.

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Bopig! said:
Just so we're not confused about what version I'm using, it's 0.7.8c whcih I got from the download section of the CXBX website.
Also, the graphics card I'm using is a GEforce 4 MX 440. Yes It's crap.
Has anyone successfully run turok with this version of cxbx?
As for the overlay surface comment, that only happened with the 0.8.0 version that I got from the NGEMU website. The version you can download from the cxbx website is the 0.7.8 version.
check the thirs post on cxbx main page. the news from September 6th.
make sure evry other apps are closed when you launch the emu

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got the 0.8.0 version from the sept 6th news section and the game will play the intro movie with sound and go to a loading screen before closing itself. So, I've got progress now, but it still won't go in game. Heh. now what? oO

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Bopig! said:
Well, I got the 0.8.0 version from the sept 6th news section and the game will play the intro movie with sound and go to a loading screen before closing itself. So, I've got progress now, but it still won't go in game. Heh. now what? oO
If you have the money, you can buy a GeForce FX 5200 or something, but I prefer ATI Radeon X800.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya, once I get some spare coin, I'll pick up a new card. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while so I'll do that as soon as I can and see if it helps. Thanks for that file in the PM BTW Blue even though it didn't help much. :hdbash:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts