Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that the system volume information on my Windows XP Pro is taking a lot of valuable storage space. (Over 1 GB)

Should I leave system restore off on PC or turn it on?

If I turn it on it can come in handy for system rollbacks.

On the other hand, I heard that some viruses can hide in the system volume information folder.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
that rollback crap is nothing but B.S.

I don't need it, cause I know how to fix my computer, but I heard that rollback does nothing except for restoring the registry and backing up system files, and restoring doesn't even fix the problem most of the time.

I'll say to disable it....besides, you have us :heh:

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
Yea, I hate system restore. All it does is waste valuable disk space. I've never needed to use it anyways. If I happen to mess up my system, I just reinstall windows with no worries anyways so I don't really need it. Apparently it IS useful, but I just fail to see it's usefulness. And as Kirby said, I think it does just save the registry and some system files that are required for windows to run.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
It's good for some things, especially people who are not so good with computers. It's best use is for windows updates that are not possible to uninstall ( like directX upgrades ).

·
(>^_^)> *KIRBY*
2,612 Posts
i limited it to use only 200 mb.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
It's just waist of HDD space... when your sys realy say to you 'bye bye' restore function won't help :) turn/leave it off

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
system restore is pathetic. if my computer is F'ed up that bad, i just reformat. i DID use system restore once but it didnt even work properly. definitely a waste of disc space.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
I've used system restore quite effectively....and unless you have a small hard drive or are using alot of your harddrives space anyway, it shouldn't be much of a bother that it takes up that much space, and if you wind up needing some space later, you can always turn it off or decrease the amount of space it has. It is really effective at getting rid of stealth spyware that no matter how many different spyware programs I throw at it, it keeps coming back....it can also uninstall service packs very effectively, in case you need too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts