Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I havent ben able to buy myself a new rig like i wanted. But i'm starting to think that i may be able to tweak my setup.

i could use some advice from you guys.

here's what i have... Abit NF-7 motherboard (ddr) nforce2 chipset
AMD duron 1.8ghz, 768 mb of ram
nvidia geforce 440mx wih agp8x

I know i need a graphics card. But which one for my setup?

Overclock the duron. is that worth a try? I like the nforce 2 sound setup. Digital out with 5.1 support and all. It seems to me like I might be able to keep up with my games with some tweaking on my current system instead of starting from scratch.

Also what would be a better processor supported by this type of motherboard.

Or is it all too old and weak and new motherboard time? any advice always appreciated.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Depends on what kind of games you want to run. For a casual gamer (who just play some old classic games occasionally), you might be able to make do with the current setup.

For modern games however, it doesn't stand a chance.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Everything's out of date, like GF said above. I could only advise a second handed videocard like a GF6 / 7 or so, but with anything newer you're CPU limited anyway. Consider a new budget PC so you can OC a nice slow C2D and add a decent GPU to it.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Save for a new system that's pretty much all you can do. It's badly, I mean very very badly outdated when you consider that my old system (which can still be seen in my profile) which itself is badly outdated was already at least 2 times as strong as your system.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
hmmmmm
i need a new nforce 2 mainboard for one of my other systems.....

you could get a Athlon2 620 kit for pretty cheap., then sell your current kit for profit... you'd be surprised the prices people will pay to get their hands on K7 parts.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-1153-TR GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

modern ECS isn't that bad actually, they have really upped their quality since the NF4 years......

that doesn't include memory, hdd or psu though.....
but really... the K7 isn't enough for modern software.

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,058 Posts
If you want to play new games and modern emu then you need to change your CPU which mean changing your motherboard which also mean changing your RAM and quite possibly your VGA, or in other words, buy a NEW system. :p
FYI, most modern motherboard support digital out with 7.1 support, even the cheaper one.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
new everything....

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
ok.. i hear ya.. thanks guys...

so can i just swap a new motherboard in there (i dont know what socket type mine is?). or do i need to start with new power suppy and socket or whatever.
Your looking at atleast $400-450 to overhaul that. thats including a replacement powersupply since i figure the one you have probably won't be compatible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.