Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to apply for a Data Key Entry job, and I just went in for speed testing. I failed, because I've never actually learned to type numbers very well; it really dropped my keystrokes per hour, having to grope for/look down at the number keys.

So, I'm trying to teach myself how to use the number row. I've been using the website typeonline.co.uk but I need something with more extensive lessons on numbers. Unless someone can recommend a really good free online thing, I'm not beyond purchasing a piece of software.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Numpad ftw.

I remember applying for a data entry job once when I was in my first year university. I left halfway through the interviews after acing the test when I found out we weren't allowed to listen to our music while we worked oO

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, lol @ skore

I'm not heading back to school next semester though, and they're hiring, plus good pay. Anyway, thanks for the tips on numpad, I'll definitely try and learn both and see which is faster for me.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
If you have to use IMEs and use the number row as special strokes (or special designators) a lot then this wouldn't have been a problem. :p (plus quite a number of systems don't have the numpad)

I blame the over-simplifying nature of the English character glyphs and the fact that all keyboards are built upon it!

On a happier note, if you memorize this:

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

Then for the love of god, you can't be any faster using the numpad. Most cash registers use that kind of layout anyway, so if you ever get a job as a cashier, maybe take this into account as well.

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Ever since I got my first computer, numbers were typed way faster using the numpad. That is, if you type several numbers after each other. If there's numbers mixed in with letters, it might be faster to use the number row, saves time moving your hand to the numpad.

runawayprisoner said:
7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

Then for the love of god, you can't be any faster using the numpad. Most cash registers use that kind of layout anyway, so if you ever get a job as a cashier, maybe take this into account as well.
I spend a fair amount of time in the cash register at the supermarket, and it's totally more efficient to use the numpad style for numbers, than it is using the number row.

Learning to use the numpad efficiently is almost a requirement if you're planning on working with computers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.