Next Generation Emulation banner

trying to get surround sound from pc but...

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Squall-Leonhart 
#1 ·
I use my PC on my 42in LCD TV, and I connect the two through HDMI. Then from the TV to my 5.1ch home theater system. But I didn't make sure if it had HDMI input before it was bought. And i don't really feel like returning it. Then only inputs it has are a red and white cable which ive been using. But I'm wondering if theres a way to get surround sound through its IPOD audio dock input. It's a 7pin cable. I don't know the name of it... so i don't know what to google for. Im wondering if there is any converters for that cable for SPDIF or coaxial?
Theres also those red, green, blue plugs on the tv, but I can't see if theyr input or output. And the TV is on a mouth and too close to the wall for me to check. But this is the link to the TV VW42LFHDTV10A | VIZIO

This is the home theatre player Memorex

so is there any other ways to get the 5.1ch sound?

#2 ·
The Red, Blue, and Green are known as Component video connections (none of it is audio). They're most likely input. It's a step above the old Red, Yellow, and White (well, just Yellow really, since the Red and White is audio) Composite connection type, but below VGA, DVI, and HDMI.

#4 ·
An external amplifier would be needed to hook them up to the PC. At that point you might as well get a new home theater setup. It would be doable if the current system had an optical audio input, as the TV has an output for it (HDMI audio passthrough).

moccor: I would just return it and get a setup that better meets your needs.

#5 ·
Go into the options or setting and select different audio output setting until you hear something. The sound is there, you just need to switch it on or select it. Just make sure your sound card driver (motherboard or pci/pci-e) is installed.

#6 ·
I know the easiest thing would to return it, but I've had it for 2months or more now lol. I just didn't bother with it at first and just wanted to play games and watch movies on it. I hear sound from my home theatre system, its only 2 speakers cuz of red and white cable.I have the SPDIF cable going from my GPU to MOBO, and I have HDMI going from GPU to TV. Allthough i do have rear left and left, right rear and right plugged into same in thing with the speakers but I'm sure CoD4 would sound much nicer with 5.1. But when I made this topic I didn't think there was a way out of the no HDMI input. Was just thinking maybe theres som mods that can be done on the home theatre system or som aftermarket things lol

#8 ·
#9 ·
Home theatre system need to start intergrating HDMI or DisplayPort connector (or both) for uncompressed audio or sound quality. Another benefit of using HDMI or DisplayPort is that you will have fewer cable or wire to work with, in this case only one cable is required.

I am not sure if those connectors on home theatre system allow or support uncompressed audio.

#10 ·
Newegg.com - HT | OMEGA Claro Halo XT 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier - Sound Cards

the price of that, I mine a swell buy a whole new home theatre system :p lol. But that was something I was looking for. Didn't think it would cost that much. Thanks for help everyone, I don;t think theres any other options.
There are much less expensive options out there.

Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

#11 ·
uses a CMI chipset and has a known hardware fault where the Left and right channels swap at random.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.