Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Site Owner
18,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK.

This guys 8800 GTX died on him. 3 months later, going on a hunch he got from another forum, he took the i/o and heatshield off so the card was naked, flipped it upside down and placed it on a foil wrapped cookie sheet (card raised up on pieces of tinfoil) which he then placed in his oven, YES OVEN which was running at 385 DEGREES. When he took the card out, it worked!!

Supposedly the heat remelts the solder enough so that it flows back and fixes minute fractures in the circuits!

Crazy Stuff

If anyone wants to try it, this guy is selling broken GTX's for $35 on Ebay.

Ready for Baking

I am VERY tempted to try this! If only for the lol, heck id do it!

Heres a short video on how to do it

From reading the thread, it has a fairly nice success rate :nod:

Heres a vid showing it working

· Registered
13,287 Posts
To repair your dead or half-dead video card (or motherboard) you could try baking it. This fixes micro-fissures, by remelting connections. And if you're skeptic about sticking it in an oven, you might want to know how manufacturing plants build electronics: "The machines apply solder paste, place all the parts on the board, and then the whole board goes through an oven to melt the solder and form the electrical connections. IF the oven isn't quite hot enough it can lead to premature failure. Stress or flexing of the boards can mess up solder joints as well."
I can only wonder if this would be a viable method to fix Xbox 360s? Buy some broken 360s, strip the motherboard, bake until golden brown, sell... PROFIT!

· Registered
13,287 Posts
My school has a nVidia Quadro GPU that was in one of the multimedia lab computers that was displaying artifacts so they took it out and threw it into the junk box. When I go back to school here in a month and a half I'm gonna pick that up and see if I can't fix it using that method. I'm not sure how useful a Quadro GPU would be to me, but hell - it's worth a shot.

I just am desperate to try this now, it's just so ghetto yet epic at the same time.

· God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
ive still got my 8800, i dont know if i want to try something like this though, im currently keeping it around as a backup.

· Registered
13,287 Posts
I've gotten all kind of computer crap from school. Now I can finally get something that's not so crappy. :)

As for the Quadro's being expensive - I don't see why. From what I understand is they really aren't that different from the gaming cards to justify the much increased cards. (Of course, if you're doing stuff that needs a workstation card you're likely to be able to afford the higher costs - and nVidia understands that and therefore rips you off)

From what I've gathered, the FX1700 is just a slightly tweaked 8xxx card.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.