Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
io9 said:
Ohio State professor Kimberly Rios Morrison polled Stanford University students about what they thought about students drinking alcohol.

Said Morrison:
It is only when they have this sense that they are in the majority that extremely pro-alcohol students are more willing to express their views on the issue.
Sounds like this study explains internet trolling and flame wars too. People with extreme views who are extremely loud about them manage to delude themselves into thinking everybody agrees. Morrison added:
You have a cycle that feeds on itself: the more you hear these extremists expressing their opinions, the more you are going to believe that those extreme beliefs are normal for your community.
No word yet on how to break the cycle, especially with trolls, who may not care whether the majority agree with them or not. But we can only hope further research will lead to a simple way to cure extremists of their belief that everybody shares their opinions and wants them to keep talking.
Stanford Study Explains Internet Trolls - Technology - io9
Extremists More Willing To Share Their Opinions, Study Finds

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Interesting, I guess the old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" applies here.

But it has always been the case that the loudest will always have their opinions heard. The most recent trolling activity I have seen as of late was with a debate with the current environmental minister of Australia, Penny Wong, who would make her point very long winded and convoluted (and often completely bastardizing research data) and when a counter argument was made against her she simply talked over them not letting the other debater make their point heard. As a result people blindly agree with what she has to say simply because she doesn't shut up.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
IMSHO many people tie their satisfaction on things based on group consensus, for example, they want to have the latest and greatest hardware and software not to actually use it, but to prove they're hip, with it, cutting edge, and have money to spend on things. That is not to say being cutting edge is bad, just if that person can't accept the fact that not everyone wants to behave the same way, then there is a problem.

Trolling would be a person buying a PSP Go, and then bashing, name calling, insulting, and demeaning people who do not have a PSP Go. They would be the kind who expect everyone to buy a PSP Go, even people who prefer a PSP 3000, DS/DSi, or don't even want a portable system.

Let's say my buddy Samor* bought a PSP Go, I would be happy if he liked it, and it wouldn't bother me that I prefer a PSP 3000, ditto if he purchased a DSi, and I prefer the light.

Now if we got into an argument over each others preferences, blindly refusing to accept that we both are entitled to our opinions, there would be a problem. We would both need to be reminded that we both have a right to a unique opinion, and that the fact someone else disagrees with our opinion should not impact our appreciation of what we own.

Samor should like what he likes based on his taste, ditto for me. Although I often do try to get Samor's opinion on games as we share similar tastes. He likes Dreamcast, PS2, 360, racing, some Neo Geo, and so do I. That doesn't mean we don't disagree on games, but we can respect each others opinions on such.

*Hope you don't mind me using you as an example Samor... :evil: At least I didn't mention Bleem! :evil: oops... :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.