Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Vengeance Beta is out, in case anyone hadn't heard. You can get it at www.fileplanet.com if you sign up there (you don't have to have a paying subscription). For anyone who's played it...impressions?

I think the sound definitely needs some work. It's very cracky and poppy, and the voices sound sub par, as do the weapons. It's fun to play, but it feels less controllable than the previous game. I'm not sure if I like the new built in skiing system yet, which replaces the ol' hold down jump as you run down a hill skiing method. Movement also feels less smooth, as does aiming. However, I'm sure that'll be ironed out in the final release.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I tried 5 times and every time I enter that confirmation code it won't let me proceed. :(

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
No. I got different codes and they are quite clear to read. It said I got an error. Blah!

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
zcal said:
The Vengeance Beta is out, in case anyone hadn't heard. You can get it at www.fileplanet.com if you sign up there (you don't have to have a paying subscription). For anyone who's played it...impressions?

I think the sound definitely needs some work. It's very cracky and poppy, and the voices sound sub par, as do the weapons. It's fun to play, but it feels less controllable than the previous game. I'm not sure if I like the new built in skiing system yet, which replaces the ol' hold down jump as you run down a hill skiing method. Movement also feels less smooth, as does aiming. However, I'm sure that'll be ironed out in the final release.
EXACTLY the opposite in my opinion.I think it exceeds the first 2 in every way imaginable. Easier interfaces, smooth as butter (aside from bugs), only controls i had problems with were ground vehicles. I never could hit anyone in the other tribes games, this is so much smoother i can normally get a hit almost every time i shoot. And it runs better than tribes 2 on my pc somehow.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
N1ghtw0lf said:
EXACTLY the opposite in my opinion.I think it exceeds the first 2 in every way imaginable. Easier interfaces, smooth as butter (aside from bugs), only controls i had problems with were ground vehicles. I never could hit anyone in the other tribes games, this is so much smoother i can normally get a hit almost every time i shoot. And it runs better than tribes 2 on my pc somehow.
Heh. I feel like it's sometimes too easy to score a hit. I hate to use the word, but I feel like Vengeance is a little too "newbie" friendly, and that might upset some veterans, me included. :rolleyes: One of the things I love about Tribes is the learning curve. It takes a bit of practice to be able to score good hits and pilot yourself around, but Vengeance somehow cheapens that experience...

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
zcal said:
Heh. I feel like it's sometimes too easy to score a hit. I hate to use the word, but I feel like Vengeance is a little too "newbie" friendly, and that might upset some veterans, me included. :rolleyes: One of the things I loved about Tribes is the learning curve. It takes a bit of practice to be able to score good hits and pilot yourself around, but Vengeance somehow cheapens that experience...
The interface in the previous games took too long to get your crap together just to go and die again. And the way levels were laid out and the way people flew around it was practically impossible to kill anyone if you had just started. I love vengeance except that they took out some vehicles. It's simple enough for new people and still retains the similar system of tribes 2 with equipping yourself. It's not TOO easy to hit people, just easier than the other games, and that i truly enjoy considering i gave up on Tribes 2 because a tiny bit of lag would throw your disk 30 feet off target.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I saw on the regestration page that it needs a dx9.0c compliant card with pixel shader support, so that leaves my killer gf4mx out of the way, right?
edit: yay, I have 2 stars!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
N1ghtw0lf said:
The interface in the previous games took too long to get your crap together just to go and die again. And the way levels were laid out and the way people flew around it was practically impossible to kill anyone if you had just started. I love vengeance except that they took out some vehicles. It's simple enough for new people and still retains the similar system of tribes 2 with equipping yourself. It's not TOO easy to hit people, just easier than the other games, and that i truly enjoy considering i gave up on Tribes 2 because a tiny bit of lag would throw your disk 30 feet off target.
If you had favorite presets, you could just choose one of those and hit up an inventory station. That's another gripe I have about vengeance. I prefer the jump-on-them-and-go stations from Tribes 2. Also, in Vengeance, you can't go outside the level boudaries, making it feel like it's not actually on a huge scale world. Granted, the maps are big, but there just seems to be a lost sense of freedom this time around. As for your lagging disc, I've never experienced that problem. I will say, though, that discs didn't always hit right where you were aiming when you were flying though the air. I felt as if they handled just right. Think about it. If you're standing in one place and shooting, you should be able to make accurate shots, as you could in Tribes 2. But, if you're boosting upwards on a jet pack, it makes sense that the disc may lift as well when fired, and not go perfectly to where you were aiming. Disc behaviour is predictable if you learn to understand how the weapon is going to shoot depending on your movement, and that's a great aspect of Tribes 2. The weapons took a lot of finesse to handle well and get the hang of. Like I said before, one of my favorite aspects about Tribes is the big learning curve. It takes some practice to learn to pilot yourself well and shoot true. Vengeance just seems to be cheaper in that respect.

shnord said:
I saw on the regestration page that it needs a dx9.0c compliant card with pixel shader support, so that leaves my killer gf4mx out of the way, right?
You'll be able to run it fine on your card. I'm on a GeForce4 TI and I can run it at almost full spec. Granted, you won't be able to run it as well as a TI can, but it'll definitely be playable.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I've tried it the day this was open for public. While keeping in mind that it's beta, I found it ingame to be pretty much lacking in every sense possible.

If this beta is supposed to give me an impression, it gave me one where I find that Tribes: Vengeance won't have anything to interest me, feature-wise. I'll wait for a final demo before casting final judgement.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts