Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know how to get Tomb Raider II to work past the first level?
I have this problem when you go to finish the level, the CD loads for ages (trying to access data) and then the game freezes. I know there is a problem where the CD has difficulties trying to load the CDA.

This is the error:

----------------------------------------------------------
* Error reading CD: 0x0004 67,6,0
* Error reading CD: 0x0004 37,2,0
* Error reading CD: 0x0004 23,10,0
---------------------------------------------------------

Binary data?
Sounds to me it's having problems reading the cda off the CD. Before you ask YES I have tried different plugins for the CD driver and the sound and different settings, every combination I think, but no luck. I have even tried to disabled all sound.

Does anyone else have this problem? If this works on your system, please tell me what plugins you're using and what settings you have.

I think it could be a problem with the authors plugins, but also it could be a problem with the emulator its self.

I have tried the cheat to get past the first level, but still the same problem. It can't load the in-game video and audio after the first level.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Depending on how fast your computer is and what program you are using, it only takes about a minute at most for making an ISO of a CD. That maximum amount assumes there's a lot of stuff on the disk. If it's smaller (and it often is), then the time will be less.

S

·
0 Posts
ALso, Pete's new CD Plugin vers. 1.3 is out. This version contains improvments for reading CDA. There is also an option to set your CD drive to the speed of an actual PSX cd unit. The speed limiting option helped me get Gauntlet Legends working perfectly w/my HP CD writer. You might want to give this CD plugin a try, if you haven't already, it may help w/your problem.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose I'll make an ISO, I really don't want 650 MB of this file on my hard drive. (Not that's a lot!) Does it get compressed? It shouldn't take long; I guess its dependent on how fast your CD drive can read data and how fast your hard drive can write data huh? So can someone please tell me, what is the best program to use for making ISO's and where I can get it? D/L

Sxamiga - I tried using Pete's latest CDR code, but no luck. Another thing I'll add, TSG's CDR plugin plays TR II better.

Back to my original question, what's the problem and can it be fixed? I'd be happy if someone like Pete looked into it, and came up with a fix. Of course when you get the free time!!!

S

·
0 Posts
uh..I think tr2 uses cd-audio...I know you can make ISO's with cd-music ripped out of it...it's possible with cdr-win....it's hard to exactly explain it though, and I forgot how I did it last time (I'd have to look again).

did you guys know ridge racer 1 is just 5 megs without music? :)

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
> did you guys know ridge racer 1 is just 5 megs without music?

That's what we call a lot of wasted space. ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've managed to narrow down the problem. I think the problem is the emulator can't read some sectors on the CD, but my PSX can. I think these sectors contain data for the English version during the in-game videos. Any suggestions anyone?

I created an ISO, but the same problem still occurred. Thanks for the ISO program Ryos. The ISO program also had a problem reading during the extraction process with 2000+ errors. Great program though, give the writer some credit. Yes smooth MDECS!

I want everything to be done to fix this problem. This is an emergency!!! For me it is the end of the world! If anyone knows how to get to the second level, tell me!

·
Registered
513 Posts
>I forgot how I did it last time
Code:
From the main icon panel:
 1) Extract Disc/Tracks/Sectors (the third icon on the top, from the
     left)
 2) Click the "..." next to the text box to give a filename to the 
     image file.
 3) Set "Error Recovery" to "Ignore"
 4) Set "Read Retry Count" to 10 (for heavily scratched CDs)
 5) Click "Start"
 6) Download the program bin2iso from [url]www.freshmeat.net[/url]
 7) From a dos window (or dos itself) go to the directory where
     the the bin and cue files are stored and type bin2iso
     [filename].cue (For example, if the image is FF9D1.bin and .cue
     type "bin2iso FF9D1.cue" and press Enter)
 8) Go into ePSXe and choose "Load ISO" from the File Menu.

Note too that you can use the BIN Image driver from the PSXEmu
 ePSXe homepage.

·
Registered
632 Posts
It seems that your cd is dirty or really damaged more scratch that the cdrom can handle, its better to change it or borrow from friends the same cd and make an iso from it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The CD is fine!

I now know there's a problem when trying to read sectors off the CD. I can only think of a few reasons for this:

1) Windows is thick and can't read certain sectors.
2) The Adaptec driver is thick.
3) The CD is damaged - Not likely because it plays fine on my PSX.
4) It's not possible through PC hardware.
5) PSX are magic.
6) Other reasons that I can't think of.

I demand a full investigation into this. Why can my PSX read these sectors, but my PC can't? Like I said earlier, it's like the world has ended. I will be finishing TR II on my PC!!!!!!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well your cdrom might alrighty by mess up. Old cdrom have really had a hard time reading scratch cd's.Try replacing your cdrom with a know good one, you can borrow form your friends or brother if you have several units in your house goodluck.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Listen the CD is fine, no scratches and no problems. Please don't say the CD is scratched because it isn't, ok!

I have been trying to find out more about this, and I found out that depending on what CD-ROM you have it will work or won't work. I have tried it on my friend's 8x DVD drive, my DVD drive and my old 24x CD-ROM drive. It didn't work on neither of the drives. So now I will call on everyone I know, until I find someone who has a CD-ROM that it'll work on!

Later on I found something in the ISOBuster FAQ:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I tested IsoBuster on a range of 200 different CD-i titles.
They all worked well except for two titles.
After investigation it turned out that the CD-ROM drives just couldn't read the requested sectors,
because the sector-layout was FAR beyond specifications or because they contained audio tracks.
e.g. 'Uncover Tatjana' could be read on my Sony drive, but not on my Philips drive.
e.g. 'Het Nationale Muziekkado' couldn't be read on either drive.
Error : 05/64/00 : 'Illegal Mode for this track' (says it all ...)

Actually, 9 out of 10 chances when you have problems reading CD titles, the CD contains Audio tracks !!??
Besides a unique file-system these CDs have a unique Table of Contents (TOC) which fools the gross of al CD-ROM drives. When audio tracks are present, the CD-ROMs often treat the data as audio in the pre-gap which leads to all sorts of data corruption."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that could be my problem.
I want some answers. Does anyone know a way of getting passed the first level on Tomb Raider II? Maybe there're cheat codes? Surly someone out there has played TR II and passed the first level. Any suggestions? Anything at all?

What shall I do, walk into a PC store and demand I take home all the CD-ROM drives to test if the game works? Or does anyone know if you can rip out the PSX CD drive and stick it in your PC? As that is able to read these sectors. I think that would definitely fix the problem. I'll think I'll look into that sometime. Has anyone tied this?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
> What shall I do, walk into a PC store and demand I take home all
> the CD-ROM drives to test if the game works? Or does anyone
> know if you can rip out the PSX CD drive and stick it in your PC?
> As that is able to read these sectors. I think that would
> definitely fix the problem. I'll think I'll look into that sometime.
> Has anyone tied this?

Erm, I wouldn't do any of those things. If you can't get TR II to work properly right now (and you decide not to use the level codes, which I'm pretty sure exist out there somewhere), then wait until the next version of ePSXe to see if you have better luck then.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it may be possible for the CDR plugin authors to make the plugin read these sectors. I am not sure. Eh Pete?

Fire up TR II you'll see what I mean.

Like I said, I will be finishing this game on my PC, whatever it takes!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
To skip levels while playing anywhere in any level: sidestep left, sidestep right, sidestep left, step backward, step forward, turn around three times,jump forward with a twist .
:)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
He already tried that.
Beside I'm experiencing the same problem with the french version.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts