Next Generation Emulation banner

Torrent programs choking the internet

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  aceloop 
#1 ·
I've had this problem for quite some time, ever since I installed Vista (which would make it about 6 months now), then later it continued in Windows 7.

Basically this is what happens: I start Vuze. After a minute or less, the internet starts "disappearing". Now what I mean by that, is that I can't play online, and I can't browse the web (very rarely, like now). Whenever I try to play online, it just won't connect to any servers. World of Warcraft is giving me a html error, Warcraft 3 just refuses to connect, and none of the servers in Steam (for CS:S) is responding. If I'm still playing World of Warcraft when I start Vuze, I can play normally, for the most part. Sometimes there's lagspikes.
If I try to surf the web, the browser (both FF and Opera) appears to be loading a page, but it too refuses to connect to the internet.
This also happens when using uTorrent.

Last speedtest I took (Speedtest.net), I got 5k/2k, so max download is set to 400, and max upload is set to 120.

One thing I should be clear about, this problem only occurs on my desktop. My laptop doesn't have this problem, and both are running Windows 7 (though the desktop has build 7077, and the laptop is running build 7000).
It happens all the time, it doesn't matter if I'm directly connected through the modem with a cable, with the cable to the router, wireless to the router, wireless and cabled to a accesspoint. And it even happens at my parent's place (tried both cable and wireless there too).
Ports are open, both in my software firewall (Eset, though currently I don't use one, been lazy, so need to install it again), and on the router.

In addition to that, most of the time, it can take up to 5 or more minutes for the torrent to even start downloading!
Like this one I recently started, took at least 3 minutes before it went above 1kbps oO

I suspect it's my ethernet card.
It's the onboard one on the M2N32-Sli Deluxe motherboard. I have always kept my drivers up-to-date.

I think that's all.
Please harrass me if there's anything else ;)
Much appreciated if anyone could shed some light on this issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
its probably the windows 7 network drivers,

download the latest vista drivers for your device.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.