Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Down Under Kid
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This problem has been solved, the solution is just below, for anyone who has problems with a .MDF / .MDS file which has no music / sound / voice overs. I hope this works for you too.

Problem finally solved, with credit to RedLion, Squall-Leonhart, and masta.g.86 =)

Eternal SPU 1.50 Sound
CHECKED Enable Sound
CHECKED Enable CDDA Sound
CHECKED Enable XA Sound
UNCHECKED Enable SPU IRQ hack

Audio Device - Direct Sound
Buffer size 40
Audio out method SPUasync
Async mode Smooth
CHECKED Cache VAG decode (personal choice for the moment)

Alcohol 52% mounted (My file is a .MDS file)
ePSXe & game loaded with SaPu's CD-ROM Plugin 1.0 (Please visit here for latest drivers - Emuforums.com - Downloads - CDR plugins)
Caching level 3
Cache size 8

Hi everyone,

I prefer using ePSXE - my version is 1.6.0, and have many old games running nicely through ePSXE, bar one: Tombi 2 / Tomba 2 (What ever it's called in your side of the world).

Tombi 2 has problems running (as a .MDF file) in CD-Mode. The file cannot be loaded through ISO in ePSXE for obvious reasons as the file is not recognised in the menu as an ISO [and cannot be mounted through any virtual drive tool for ePSXE to recognise because I've tried, even if I mount it in the same drive letter, and assign the CD driver in ePSXE to be the same..] without ePSXE bringing up a black screen when I prompt the game to load, and then have to press ESC to see an error explaining that it can't read the CD, while the rest of the settings are fine, keeping in mind that the game is a file, not a real CD.

If you might be too lazy to read this whole post, this game works near perfect on another emulator named PSX [some performance issues with soundtrack, and some graphical glitches].

Has anyone been able to run this game successfully, with sound, and music 100% in-tact through ePSXE as an .mdu file?

Even though some of the things I have tried do not directly relate to the problem, such as using many different plugins, and changing advanced settings through video/audio/cd settings, it won't load through ePSXE. Just for some general help so you know what plugins etc I've got, here is a list of plugins available on my PC, and also I'll list my system specs.

The plugins that ePSXE has on my PC: (Keep in mind this is everything listed, even if its not compatible with my graphics card etc)

Video-
Knack's Soft Driver 0.84
Lewpy's 3dfx/Glide³ GPU 1.40
P.E.Op.S. OpenGL Driver 1.78
P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.14
P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.17
Pete's D3D Driver 1.58
Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.58
[NextGL] 1.12

Sound-
ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2.
Eternal SPU Plugin 1.50
Null Sound Driver 1.0
P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9

CD-Rom-
ePSXe CDR ASPI core 1.5.2.
ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.5.2.
P.E.Op.S. CDR Driver 1.4
Xeven's Cdr Driver 0.93

SYSTEM SPECS:This is a laptop
Win-XP SP3
3 GHz Intel-Quad Core
2GB Ram
256MB Mobility Radeon (2008 series)
Sigmatel Sound driver running on god knows what card.

All drivers are up to date as of September 2009, no necessary adjustments need to be made. Period.

I wonder why Tombi 2 is not working through ePSXE... It will only load correctly through a different emulator named PSX.

So I have to ask you all, have any of you been able to run this game successfully, with sound, and music 100% in-tact through ePSXE as an .mdu file?

·
Down Under Kid
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi RedLion, thanks for taking your time to reply.

The answer to your question is no. The actual CD (since I backed it up) has been heavily scratched, and un-reliable :(

Anyway, good news!! (There is still bad news) I have got it working on ePSXe, using 'ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.5.2..' after a lot of trouble, and having to force one of my virtual drive progs (PowerIso) to change it's primary drive letter assignment (It errored many times so I had to get dramatic), so that Daemon Tools Lite could run it using the D:\

And I tell you, after starting the game with ePSXe it looks fantastic! Going from old school PS1 grade graphics to something like decent clean Wii graphics when using 'Pete's D3D Driver 1.58'. Now, the images below aren't to put down the 'PSX Emulator' at all, I'm just showing how decent the ePSXe plugins can make games look!

[Before] PSX Emulator - (below)

[After] ePSXe Emulator - (below)

BUT... I am not out of the neck of the woods just yet. There is no game music. I have read (through another thread) that 'Mooby2 cd disk image driver 2.8' might fix this problem, but my PowerIso is unregistered, and the Tombi 2 file is just over 400MB so I cannot convert the .MDF which the game is as, to a .ISO I am currently looking at some tools to fix this, I will post the results.

·
Down Under Kid
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The method below MAY NOT work, depending on your game - For mine it hasn't. So it is up to you whether or not you wish to try:

I have downloaded a program that converts .MDF to .ISO

If you haven't done this before, and want a freeware conversion tool for XP, go to here: Iso9660 Analyzer Tool - Home Page

If you don't know what you're doing, I'll make it as easy as I can for you to understand. And the " you see are not to be included in what you type.

Download the program from the link I just gave you above,
Make a copy your .MDF file PS1 game and put it somewhere you CAN find it, I recommend in a new folder on its own,
Install the Iso9660 Analyzer Tool program where you put the copy of your .MDF file PS1 game,
Open Command Prompt (Start Menu > Accessories),
Locate within Command Prompt to where the directory of your .MDF file and Iso9660 Analyzer Tool is.. (for example only: "C:\MYMDF" but where you put it, then when you know where it is, type "cd\" then "CD MYMDF" then press enter),
type the following below AS IS,

"iat -i yourgamefile.mdf --iso yourgamename.iso" just remember "yourgamename" is the name your file is called, just remember to not include the apostrophies.. aka " <-- these freakin' things.

Then the program should convert your file to a .ISO, it just might take a while, so be patient.

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,098 Posts
No need to do a conversion. Just mount it with daemon tools and it should work (and seems you already figured how to make it work). :p. What are the bad new exactly?

And for better graphics, As it seems you have a good machine, I suggest you to use Petes OGL 2.9 with natural vision shader. But let's try to rule your first problem before.

·
Down Under Kid
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No need to do a conversion. Just mount it with daemon tools and it should work (and seems you already figured how to make it work). :p. What are the bad new exactly?

And for better graphics, As it seems you have a good machine, I suggest you to use Petes OGL 2.9 with natural vision shader. But let's try to rule your first problem before.
The problem is that ePSXe doesn't recognise in-game music soundtrack from the .MDU file for some reason, it only recognises it in the PSX Emulator (but it's buggy with some of the music), so I'm experimenting to see if playing the game as a .ISO might fix it.

And thanks, I'll check it out and post screenies of the difference :) Once I've solved my problem, I'll be turning this thread into a 'problem resolving' thread for other people who might have the same problem, after asking a mod to modify the post name of course (and/or move thread to appropriate area if necessary).

·
Down Under Kid
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This has been a failure. Scratch the .ISO conversion idea. I have mounted the newly made Tombi2.ISO through Daemon Tools, and have ran the ISO through ePSXe, and it has explained that it does not support ISO9660 files, and I am given the black screen again as originally the problem. So, it seems that the .MDU file running through 'ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.5.2..' is the only way it will work right now.

So, I am back to trying to get my audio working via other methods. Which at this stage I am open to suggestions of course.

·
Down Under Kid
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
And for better graphics, As it seems you have a good machine, I suggest you to use Petes OGL 2.9 with natural vision shader.
It's a sliiiiiiiiiiight improvement by perhaps 5%, even with all of the settings set to the highest. The most I can see that it's done is minorly smoothen the pixels of the character art work and given the models some more colour diversity. Not a dramatic change, but a change none-the-less!! :)

·
Down Under Kid
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know of a sound & cd driver which mimics that of the PSX emulator? Because I believe that would be the solution to this.

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,098 Posts
Well, as you are manipulating MDF files, why not trying to mount it with Alcohol 52%? Meaby you'll get some features activated with this method?

·
Down Under Kid
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RedLion,

I have installed and mounted Tombi 2 with Alcohol 52% like you suggested.

It's taken a step in the right direction.

Pre-menu clips have now shown for the first time, however the music, and voice overs still do not play upon testing.

Nearly there!

·
Down Under Kid
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I wasn't in such a hurry at the time, I'd have remembered to have given credit to both yourself RedLion, and masta.g.86

So, now I can :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys! I'm having the same problem actually with spyro the dragon. I have been searching for a solution for 2 days now
description: when the game loads up the splash screen will have sound effects but no music... or the music will sort of skip... except it's not really skipping because there's more silence than sound. like 3 seconds of silence per every few miliseconds of sound. The cutscenes have voice and music, but the gameplay and some types of animations have no music. There are always sound effects.

:( I have mega gone through the troubleshooting faq thing. I'll list the things I've tried to fix this on my own.
-SPUs used: Eternal SPU Plugin 1.50 (with the exact settings in this thread), ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2, Eternal SPU Plugin Lite 1.41, Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41, Null Sound Driver 1.0, Null2's Audio Driver 1.4, P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9, and literally every other sound driver available for download on this site (which was like a dozen drivers or something).
-restarted
-reinstalled my drivers
-attempted using epsxe (both 1.6 & 1.7), psxeven, & pcsx. i can keep trying more of these but they each had the same exact problem
-tried different gpu plugins including pete's open gl2 driver 2.8, & 2.9. P.E.Op.S. & OpenGL Driver 1.78 (i know this isn't a video problem, but I thought it might be affecting the sound anyway)
-the issue starts immediately even on the very first opening menu, so loading from a memcard save isn't going to help.
-not using cheats
-have tried multiple cdr plugins including SaPu's CD-ROM Plugin 1.0, P.E.Op.S CDR Driver 1.4, & Xeven's Cdr Driver 0.93

I've attempted to use epsxe 1.6 as I said earlier, because of this thread.
In the sound options I have:
-enable sound checked
-enable CDDA sound checked
-enable XA sound checked
-enable SPU IRQ hack (i attempt to check this but every time I play a game and go back into this menu this option has become unchecked and I don't know why?)
attempting to use Eternal SPU Plugin 1.50 and have checked and double checked that i was using the settings described in this thread.
I have even tried messing with individually and together almost every setting I could to try to get this to work.
I have the PAL version of spyro 1
The files on the disc aren't .mdr or .mdf. They are labeled like "MUSIC1.STR" and "MUSIC2.STR" etc.

I'm super ridiculously sorry this post is so freaking long, but I wanted to make sure you guys knew everything I did. I'm to the point where I'm thinking I may need to just give up on this, but I really loved spyro as a little girl and was really hoping I could play it again on my emu. If anyone can help me or think of something else I can do, I would be so stupidly happy.

Hope someone can help! Thanks!

EDIT:

also I can make a new thread for this, if it would be a better idea, but I figured since this thread person had the same problem, it might be better to use this thread (it keeps coming up on google when i search for my issue)

BTW I'm using a Macbook Pro with a bootcamp installation of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT card, an Intel Core2 Duo CPU T9600 @2.80 GHz 2.79 GHz, with 4 Gigs of ram.

whew! is that enough information or should i just go head and put my social security number and DOB up here, too? haha

·
Discontinued
1,191 Posts
If you're using ccd/img/sub, try deleting the sub file. This file can cause music / speech problems in enough games (ex. Tomba 2 - on-topic).

If you're using mdf/mds, err... try ripping your game to bin/cue or ccd/img/sub.

Or you'll just have to re-rip your original disc.

EDIT:
I have tried a different download of the disc, but I'm pretty sure they're the same copy in different places.
@mods - okay. Now I see that comment. Sorry about that.

I have the PAL version of spyro 1
@perfectusername - please do not mention downloaded copies. To stay within the forum rules, only talk about your original disc of Spyro in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts