Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just posting to know if anyone knows why the background music is missing on Tomb Raider. Also some of the other sounds (foot steps, gun fire ect.) are out of place, like one time a shot from beretta was loud, while the other time it was dead silent. I know this has something do with the sound plugins.

Thanks in advance

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
AstroNomik said:
-why the background music is missing on Tomb Raider.
-some of the other sounds (foot steps, gun fire ect.) are out of place, like one time a shot from beretta was loud, while the other time it was dead silent.
-I know this has something do with the sound plugins.
Yes, it is the SPU issue.
Try posting your plugin infomation here, your settings and the type of plugin you are using.
I suspect you are using the ePSXe core plugins, if so try using the Eternal v1.4.1 plugin which is obtainable here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i am using the ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2. plugin. I tried using the Eternal v1.4.1 plugin like you said but still it didn't work. I think it's because im 100% with configuring it.
This is basically the config of the plugin, i hardly touched it.

-----------------

[Audio device]
DirectSound
Buffer size: 8

[Audio out method]
Thread
Async mode: Simple

[Special game fix]
[ ] Update before accessing register
[x] SPU IRQ - Wait CPU action
[x] SPU IRQ - Force Interruption flag7

[Misc]
[ ] Show realtime config window
[x] Wait for XA buffer is free
[x] Cache VAG decode
Fine tune [-360 - 360]: 0
(Rec option)
[ ] REG write
[ ] RED read
[ ] DMA write
[ ] DMA read
[ ] XA play
[ ] CDDA play
Reverb: Off

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
First, enable sound, cdda sound and xa sound under config->sound. Configure eternal to directsound, spuasync audioout method in smooth mode, and a buffer of around 40 (less if it lags, more if it cracks). Disable the irq special fixes unless specifically needed. Use neill's reverb. Disable cahce vag decode. And last but not least, if it still isn't working as expected, try making an ISO out of the disc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope neither worked. When i even made an ISO and loaded it through ePSXe it resulted with a black screen. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Did you make the ISO with the subchannel data included? Alcohol 120% and CloneCD have presets to rip ISOs with subchannel data included. A120%'s mode is PlayStation and CloneCD's mode is Game.

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
AstroNomik said:
I think it's because im 100% with configuring it.
[Audio device]
DirectSound
Buffer size: 8

[Audio out method]
Thread
Async mode: Simple

[Special game fix]
[x] SPU IRQ - Wait CPU action
[x] SPU IRQ - Force Interruption flag7

[Misc]
[x] Cache VAG decode
Fine tune [-360 - 360]: 0
(Rec option)
[ ] REG write
[ ] RED read
[ ] DMA write
[ ] DMA read
[ ] XA play
[ ] CDDA play
Basically, from the posts, I assume that you are running a slower computer (Pentium III Class).

Try using the settings below:

[Audio device]
DirectSound
Buffer size: 64 or 96 or 128 (If you are using Pentium IV or Althon XP - It ranges from 4 - 32)

[Audio out method]
Thread

[Special game fix]
[ ] SPU IRQ - Wait CPU action
[ ] SPU IRQ - Force Interruption flag7

[Misc]
[ ] Cache VAG decode

No offence, but I think you should have run the game before configuring the settings.

Besides, I (again) suspect you are using the bulit-in plugins. Try posting your video, cd-rom plugins.

I believe cd-roms nowadays are fast enough to read PSX discs without problems even though users complained of its slow transfer speed, loading times and such. :smash:

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Erm guys, this is tomb raider he's talking about right? It doesn't have sub channel copy protection. It's too old for that :p.

The only logical reason I can come up with for a black screen is that the image he made was barfed ;). However forgetting that in this case an iso is a bad idea. This is becuase tomb raider's background audio is CDDA based. Epsxe's internal iso plugin deos not support CDDA reading from image files. For that you'd need to use mooby's plugin, the ripped audio tracks and a cue sheet.

For the delayed sounds, try lowering your sound buffer's to the lowest value before it starts to break up. Also make sure the CDDA is enabled in epsxe.

BTW you can play audio cd's in you computer right? If not, then you'll never be able to get background music playing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts