Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever figured out what plug-ins and/or options to use to get the graphics to display underwater in this game?

I've searched the forums, and there's a couple of mentions of the problem. But no solution.

The compatibility list even mentions a 'Minor transparency glitch when Lara is underwater'

Well it's not going to be minor when I get to the completely underwater levels is it? :rolleyes:

I've not bothered posting any setup for the game, because I can't get it to display correctly whatever graphics plug-in I try. I usually stick to Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.76 though unless something else works obviously better.

Everything else looks lovely. And I've just been completely through TR1 with no (graphical) problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've tried upping the accesses and textures to max. But to no avail.

Pete's OGL2 works just fine on my system, but has no better luck with the underwater graphics.

I just seem to recall one of those posts that I dug out about problems with this game stated that some plug-ins failed to display the underwater. Or you could use a plug-in that displayed it ok, but it slowed down the emulation quite a bit.
(But they didn't say what plug-ins to use to get the graphics and slowdown)

Well I can't even get it to display with ANYTHING I try.

It's bizarre, because the underwater graphics are fine in TR1...

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
how about pete's soft GPU?

btw, it's not that bizarre. TR1 and TR2 are different games...just because they are tomb raider games doesnt mean they should work the same

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pete's soft gpu was one of the first other plugins I tried. Because I do use that one occasionally for the odd 'simple' graphics game. (LMA Manager for instance)

I've sort of given up with this one on ePSXe now :(
And I'll play it through on my PS2 instead.
It's not that much harder because you can save anywhere in TR2 even on the Playstation version. So not much more backtracking than with ePSXe :)

Unless anyone can offer anything so far unthought of?

Cheers for the help anyway. I absolutely love messing about with ePSXe trying out different things.
Probably the first time that I've not been able to surmount a problem. Either by myself, or by searching on here or elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
If peops soft GPU doesn't fix it, I think your problem is more like a driver issue or misconfiguration (of the driver as well). Try tweaking your driver settings, and also
updating them (or even using an older version)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well, I saw TR2 in a game shop today for $2 USD. Can't beat that with a stick, so I picked it up.

I'm not seeing the glitch you spoke of. Looks the same in emulation as it does on the Playstation (only better). Here are screenshots from the pool in Lara's home, the first small pool in the first level, and the second underwater spot in the first level. I positioned the camera so you can see both the walls and the water's surface.

I used ePSXe 1.6.0 and Pete's OpenGL2 2.7. BTW, my graphics card is an ATI X850 XT. Here's the GPU config:

Hope that's of some help.

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could have cried when I read this after all my fruitless attempts to get this to work.

Yes! That (setup) works absolutely spot on. Full speed and everything too.
Though I do think that my machine is well up to the job.
(I have a GeForce FX 5700LE/AGP/SSE2 whatever that is. Don't get too deep into the hardware side!)

Thing is... I just finished the game a couple of days ago on my PS2.
It was HELL not being able to quick save.
And as you say, it looks far better on ePSXe anyway.

Your help is mucho appreciated :)

Oh well...
A quick break for a spot of FFX-2 on my PS2, and then it's onto TR3..
This setup will probably be top notch for that game too, so thanks again :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi. i had the same problem. it was solved with pete OpenGl1 with Nice settings. but since i cannot use "nice" on my work computer, i HAD to find the option which cause the black water.
It is off-screen drawing. it should be more than 1 minimum: missing screens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.