Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This game is annoying. I've pretty much tried everything, and I still haven't gotten it to work. The last thing I wanted to try is a different CD-ROM Plugin (Mooby's), but the download link is dead. So if anyone can please supply a link for that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also does anyone know how to get the audio to work properly? I'm using an IMG/CCD/SUB setup, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Please tell me if the following is wrong:

1. Mount the .CCD file with Daemontools. (This links to the IMG file and detects it as Tomb Raider).
  2. Set "Read from subchannel" in ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K Core 1.7.0
  3. File>Run CDROM
At this point the game works fine, nothing freezes, but the one thing that does miss is "background audio"

Example would be: When you walk in Lara's home, certain sections will have her speaking on the background, explaining what each area is, and how controls work, etc. This doesn't happen for me.

Some other people said to actually turn off subchannel reading, and that it helped for them, but this hasn't helped for me yet. Mooby's plugin has some more settings than the plugin I was originally using, so I wanted to give that a shot.

Edit:
It's the same for Tomb Raider II.

For the record: I have the original discs, these aren't crap ISOs downloaded off the web either, and I followed the guide on "ripping PSX games" because I know Tomb Raider is really picky when it comes that. Even the original disc gives these sound problems.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
can you try out another emulator like psx and see if things work they way they should?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow now I feel dumb.

The one thing I hadn't tried yet: ePSXe Core 1.7.0 SPU.

I selected that one, had Subchannel read enabled. And now the sound works perfectly. (Albeit bad quality with static at quite some parts, but at least the background music works now). I haven't tried pSX yet. But uhh, any idea why it does work with this plugin? And how I can get it working with Eternal, since the quality is better there.

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Well from my own experience both TR1 & TR2 had no sound problems at all using Mooby2 2.8 with 'subchannel data' disabled.
(plus, Mooby2 mounts the cd image itself when using 'run cdrom' to launch a game, no need for daemon)

I also use Eternal SPU 1.41 as audio plugin.

Everything's ok with any kind of cd image: ISO, BIN, CCD...

Squall told me it's against logic, but it did work perfectly... dunno why. :???:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well from my own experience both TR1 & TR2 had no sound problems at all using Mooby2 2.8 with 'subchannel data' disabled.
(plus, Mooby2 mounts the cd image itself when using 'run cdrom' to launch a game, no need for daemon)

I also use Eternal SPU 1.41 as audio plugin.

Everything's ok with any kind of cd image: ISO, BIN, CCD...

Squall told me it's against logic, but it did work perfectly... dunno why. :???:
The problem is that I can't find Mooby2 2.8 anywhere. Almost every download link I stumble upon is dead. If you could upload yours it would help a lot.

Sapu CDR and Eternal support CDDA when used together.

(Original source Squall).
Thanks I'll give it that Sapu plugin a try too.

How did you make Tomb Raider 1 run on the epsxe emulator? I cannot run this particular game on any emulator.
Uhhh I just do what I always do. RIP the CD using UltraISO with .ccd/img/sub style, and then I mount it in Daemontools and then I run the CD.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure why, but I really can't get it to work properly, even with perfect rips, and even with Mooby. Apparently Mooby is erroring and doesn't like the IMG file. :/ I guess the discs might have gone bad.

@LilyP:
Totally not related to this topic at all. It's part of ePSXe 1.7.0.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's why I'm asking...because in every ePSXe 1.7.0. I download there isn't. Actually I can't run this emulator at all because it is missing a "zlib1.dll" file and I searched the plugins' folder but nothing is reffering to ePSXe Core 1.7.0 SPU.
So I am asking if I can download it seperately because I have exactly the same problem with TR1 and TR2. NO SOUND...

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
@Ililyp: Just google "zlib1.dll", you'll find it immediately, then put it in ePSXe's folder (where the executable is).
And yeah you don't need ePSXe SPU as it doesn't work properly with TR 1&2, you should really stick to Eternal SPU imo.

@xRyudo: Too bad the Mooby2 thing didn't work for you, dunno what to say.

More in details, I have it like that:
- "repeat all cdda tracks" checked
- "enable subchannel data" unchecked
- "cdda volume" at 0.55 (a matter of preference)

- Eternal SPU 1.41 at default settings.
- The bios I use is scph1001.
- I launch TR games using "Run CDROM" in ePSXe' GUI, selecting the cd image in the window that pops up.
- Of course I don't use any virtual drive like Daemon, Mooby2 works by itself.
- (And dunno if its of use but my OS is Win XP SP3).

Tried CDRwin, CloneCD and Alcohol to rip the games because I believed bad rips were the cause for everything. None worked until I found the "subchannel data" trick. After that everything was ok with both TR games: all rips had the musics on.
(Actually I d'ont remember trying ISO, and the MDS was useless because I think Mooby2 doesn't support it. But if my memory is good, I think I tried IMG too and it did work.
So: BIN, CCD or IMG and maybe ISO, all might work.)

I don't have much 'ripping' science but I insist that the configuration I use for TR games works flawlessly.
(I don't know if Mooby2 can have compatibility issues depending on one's pc OS though...)

Puzzling. :???:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.