Next Generation Emulation banner

To those involved in martial arts...

3K views 60 replies 13 participants last post by  Boltzmann 
The shotokan dojos are the most propense ones (along with kung fu) to become what we call Mcdojos or money farms. There is nothing against doing things on a schedule providing the individual is fully prepared. But just testing because is time to get money is wrong.
The dojos where you get your belt based on what the sensei thinks without any test are almost gone. They are not affiliated to any association since they require to do regular tests. They are independent and while this is a good idea from my point of view (you have to live the bs, ego conflicts and politics that comes packed when your dojo signs up with an association to understand this) the students will have problems getting their ranks recognized most of the time when they switch dojos which is a shame.

About the relationship with your sensei.
Personally i think the relationship with him should be they same kind of relationship you have with the rest of the people you want to engage. You don't have to treat him like a god or be a loyal doll or put him in a pedestal. They are humans like us who happened to start a martial art before us. The problem is people often forget that.

I reccomend you to visit www.karatethejapaneseway.com
There you'll find lots of karatekas with a full vision of the karate world and not narrowed opinions. You can ask what you want related with MA and you'll always get a knowledgeable answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.