Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PCSX2 Translation Team (important update)

Morning :)

As i recently translated PCSX2 into polish and i'd like to ask if we could create a translation beta team to test the translations with the actual emu before official release is done (as some bugs in translations do happen if one can't see what he's actually translating)?

(This could be done by just signing the translating people to the existing beta team).

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
i think that would be more your job as the translator ;)

i dont think there would be enough work to assemble a beta team just for translations, if there are mistakes, just point them out n the devs will fix it, or resubmit a fixed translation

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
refraction said:
i think that would be more your job as the translator ;)

i dont think there would be enough work to assemble a beta team just for translations, if there are mistakes, just point them out n the devs will fix it, or resubmit a fixed translation
I've already submitted an fixed version, but in case a v0.9 emmu occurs, how am i supposed to test the translation and find some bugz without having the emu itself (that's what happend with the v0.8 release).

Some things can be spotted just when you have the emu window in front of you not just by having the plain text file.

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
and me for the spanish one.

·
It's a Spinning Smile!
5,309 Posts
The dev team are not gonna be handing out beta's to every tom, dick and harry that submits a translation, you don't need the entire app to do a translation. The cock ups where mainly some mistakes in the main code source, and nothing to do with the translations submitted. Since the code has been fixed there will not be the issues we had in this release. Assuming the translator hasn't used babel fish there really would be nothing to 'test'.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
CKemu said:
The dev team are not gonna be handing out beta's to every tom, dick and harry that submits a translation, you don't need the entire app to do a translation. The cock ups where mainly some mistakes in the main code source, and nothing to do with the translations submitted. Since the code has been fixed there will not be the issues we had in this release. Assuming the translator hasn't used babel fish there really would be nothing to 'test'.
Not exactly. One can translate some strings and not know if the translated string will fit in the place it's ment to be (for example polish is a very descriptive language with longer words than in english).

It's hard enough to think of a translation that's short enough, but without the emu it's practically impossible to guess! :hdbash:

And yes! I am very concerned about the quality of the translation i make so it does matter if i have at least the beta or not. And no, i do not want to have te beta all the time, a day or two before the actual official release should be enough. (And i think i'm not speaking only for myself).

·
Registered
325 Posts
arab said:
Not exactly. One can translate some strings and not know if the translated string will fit in the place it's ment to be (for example polish is a very descriptive language with longer words than in english).

It's hard enough to think of a translation that's short enough, but without the emu it's practically impossible to guess! :hdbash:

And yes! I am very concerned about the quality of the translation i make so it does matter if i have at least the beta or not. And no, i do not want to have te beta all the time, a day or two before the actual official release should be enough. (And i think i'm not speaking only for myself).
Have you thought of trying to replace or to add your translation with the one on the previous emulator (e.g.: I replaced the romanian translation in 0.7 with my translation to know if the text fits the window, button,etc., and it worked)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, I translated Portuguese version of 0.8.. I had some minor problems where some translated text is bigger than original one, and the translated sentence appeared only half.. but i'm fixing it and submitting for a next version release of PCSX2.. and yes, I have put it on 0.7 version early, but some things were different, like CPU config..

i agree with we having a team of translators not to receive a beta program, but to mantain the same ppl translating next versions (if they want to, of course). I think this is a way to proceed with the work..

another good idea is to have and fixed topic here on the forum where ppl in all languages could report some error in translations for fixing..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, if your gonna make a team count me for the romanian translation (but still I don`t think the authors are gonna make a team, because it`s a little messy, as everyone will want to translate the emu just to receive the beta, and probably some of them won`t even translate it at all after they got it, so it`s just to much of a mess).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the point of getting the beta 1 day before official non-beta release? To be teh bestest?

I'm still for a translation team but as i cee the mods/creators are not going to answer us.

·
PCSX2 Archiver
193 Posts
I like that idea too, but I belive that you just want a beta release of PCSX2, if it didn't include that, then you wouldn't want to join. I translated it to German, so German speaking people could understand it. I wouldn't expect something in return, but this is just me. Though I'm for a Translation team!

·
Registered
9 Posts
This may be totally off the wall, but my conception of the issue when I read the first post was that the translators would appreciate having the interface to work with, not necessarily the emu itself. Would it be possible to give them just the interface to look at without it being able to run? i.e. with the execute and runcd options, instead of running, returning their default error message?

I know that it would be extra work that no one would want to do, but would it be an unreasonable amount of work?

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
i agree with you gegnronbeard
if it's posible it's better to hand them the interface not the builds
so that it wouldn't be leaking

1 - 20 of 33 Posts