Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to extend my interface to my desktop to my HDTV in my living room. This means I want video, audio, and keyboard/mouse.

To accomplish this, I have found the following (so far):

1. Video: I found a VGA-extender that extends the range to 150' (Gefen VGA extender). Note that this is NOT ethernet, and will NOT run through 802.11 or a switch, hub, or router. It needs a straight, dedicated connection.

2. Audio: Simple enough - fibre-optic cable has an insane range.

3. Input: Here's the hard part. The best I can come up with is USB->802.11g and back again. The thing I'm not sure of is if this is "seamless", meaning the computer doesn't need to know anything to make it work (I need support down to the BIOS level). This is the part that is holding me back. Any ideas / feedback?

· War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bluetooth has a range of 150'? That's new to me...

· War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, to be safe, I'd say around 100' of cable. I don't think it's more than 60' on a straight shot, but I'd like to keep the wiring nice and neat - which will add significant length. That rules out just using standard VGA cabling, as well as standard PS/2 / USB cabling. Doing a little more digging, I found another set of devices that would appear to do the job and are well within the budget.

Also, I noted that I'll probably need some way to combine multiple digital fiber optic inputs (audio) into single inputs - one for the PS2, one for the desktop line, and one for the multimedia PC I intend to build in a few months. My receiver has two digital fiber optic inputs. Originally, I thought a simple multiplexer would work... but I forgot that this is in fact a digital signal, and overlaying one over another would probably not have good results. I'm not sure yet what I'll do about that part.

But the video and input appears to be solved :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.