Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Get something else or just save my money

Votes: 5 25.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my uncle got me an mp3 player from best buy, it cost about 250 and I already have an mp3 player so Im gonna take it back and get a gift card, my question is for all those who have a psp,(or dont). Should I go ahead and get one, are they worth it, how is the emu scene on them, and should I just wait on a price drop?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Its up to you, but I use my PSP for emu's and homebrews and there is a lot out there already. However doing a bit of research would be my best advice, I got it first for the games, then the emu's which was a good thing and slowly improving, even though Sony is like trying to stop its growth.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,478 Posts
wait for the price to go down.By the time it'll be affordable there will be more awesome games and emus for it! wootz!

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
depends on what you want.
if you want a portable ps2 that can do multimedia stuff and homebrew/emu's, go for it ;)

I already have a ps2 - I find the psp library too similar to it; a reason for me to not get it. The homebrew is interesting for me, but I find it too expensive just for that; and I don't watch movies on a portable device....

it's a matter of preference. ;)

·
Miserable Bugger
1,090 Posts
Well for what it does I would wait for teh price to go down.

If you want to play games on the move, buy a cheap GameBoy and the homebrew stuff why interesting could be rendered obslete with Sony's updates.

Not to mention the UMD movies are far to expensive compared to DVDs and if you want to rip your own movies to the memory stick, you have to not only buy one large enough but a cable to transfer them.

Wait until the PSP is down under a £100, it is too expenisve at the moment.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
We had a friend get ours, and we have been pleased with it. We dabble in the homebrewn with firmware 2.01 which allows us to get the benefits of wireless browsing, no probs with PSP software, etc. We also throw in an occasional PodCast in there or add our own music and movies.

Now keep in mind that we have an hour long work commute on the train. So this bugger gets use. If your more then likely to play games at home..then it probably be best to wait.

Samor is right as far as games. If you have a PS2, there isn't much to make you need it so far

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
XxCrashxX said:
great info guys, I appreciate it
I have heard it has a web browser, how useful is it, or is it like trying to surf on a cell phone (very limited)
Much more advanced than you think. Many pages open as if they were in a normal browser on your computer. The screen is crisp, and very clear. You can download stuff from the net to. My brother has one, and I love browsing the net on it. It's WAY better than on a cell phone. Hell, in some cases maybe even better than a BlackBerry.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I love my PSP, but if you plan on doing homebrew stuff get one soon, because more and more PSP 's are being shpped with 2.5 and 2.6 firmware that keeps you from running homebrew apps, although it probably won't be long untill they crack it, best to get one now than have to wait.

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
Greetings,

Well, I really like my PSP. The main reason I bought it was for emulation, I love being able to carry around an entire library of NES and SNES games with me. Not to mention the DOOM ports and someone is working on a Quake2 port. My PSP is 1.5, which makes homebrew very easy to use and install. The disadvantage with 1.5 is, no built in webrowser, limited multimedia functions, and certain new games (GTA) wont run with out 2.0+ firmware.

However, I have been dreaming about taking NES and SNES games on the go wherever I want for some time, so its worth it to me. Not to mention a dozen other emulators in the works or completed, including genesis, C64, Amiga, GBA, and others.

Also, I keep a smattering of mp3s as well as about a dozen clips gleaned from sites like hamncheez.com with which to amuse relatives and friends (which also just happens to show off my PSP).

Finally, there are some excellent UMDs for the system, including Burnout Legends, Legend of Heroes, and Kingdom of Paradise. Actually, Burnout Legends is the first game based on vehicles I have really enjoyed since Twisted Metal 2!

For a glimpse of the PSP emu scene, which is admittedly filled with immature 1337s at times yet also populated by talented developers, check out: http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well having aquired one for Xmas I am loving it so far. I'm a little dissapointed with the selection of games out so far, but I currently own X-men Legends II, Wipeout Pure (best game ever!), and Kingdom of Paradise.

Music sounds great, video plays flawlessly and sharp, and the rowser is pretty sweet too. I also own a PDA, which now collects dust because I mainly used my PDA as a type of emulation/gaming device, which the PSP is much better suited for.

Homebrew is kicking ass. There's a lot of homebre games and demo's as well as multiple OS's being developed and emulators progressing. But make sure you get 2.0 or lower for firmware, which means if you don't get it soon, you're gonna be screwed for playing emulators and homebrew - for now anyways.

There are many developments like a dual boot firmware in the works, psone emulator, ports of quake 2, and in the future maybe even quake 3! (there's only a map viewer for that right now, but runs fast) dowloadable magazines every mont to keep you busy and lots of accesories, so when you have a hole burning in your pocket you always have something to buy for the PSP :)

Not to mention most if not all games support some sort of multiplayer/online game mode.

If those things appeal to you get a PSP, but just a word of warning there's probably only about 5-10 games that you will like that are out right now, but there are some pretty sweet ones in line for next year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.