Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of related to DarkAurora's topic but more specifically, are you bored or tired of playing video games?

Do you find you have the same passion for video games as you grow older? Seriously, in the last year or so, my interest in games has declined steadily. Maybe it's the course load in my university program (unlike my undergrad which was half-assed), but I feel lucky if I'm able to finish one or two games during the school year. I'm not able to play and finish a game all day or in one sitting like in my junior high days... I get really tired after one or two hours of playing. I seriously fell asleep during one of the codec conversations in MGS3: Snake Eater (yeah, it's a fun game but I'm getting old).

Don't get me wrong, I still obsess over video games and go on binges trying to finish "one more level". However, my love of video games has become secondary to other interests: studying, school projects, parties, hanging around with friends, girls, going out to eat, etc. Heck, I hate to admit it but sometimes, bar-hopping and drinking seem more fun than video games at times. And not to mention my already declining stamina for playing games...

What are your thoughts? Is it due to increased number of interests and hobbies? Or do you simply "outgrow" the hobby?

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
How old are you? I've been going through the same thing, but I'm barely past my teens(20). Games are just starting to seem like a waste of time. I feel like I could be doing something more productive. Like learning, or programming, or reading.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I usually have trouble starting to play games but once I do I usually try and finish them, unless they suck so bad I want to turn them off. I am going to try and complete Monkey Island IV during xmas break, I never got around to it yet...

·
Registered
774 Posts
I know what you mean. Lately I've been having a tough time finding games I can get into myself. Luckily, online gaming still has some life left in it for me. I've been obsessing pver DOAU a lot lately... Once I get tired of that though, I really don't know what I'm gonna play.

Well, I don't think I've grown less into gaming because of other intersts. It's more or less just me getting bored with the same old thing over and over in the games I play. I mean you can only collect 100 *insert random shiny object*s so many times before it starts to get old.

bcrew1375 said:
How old are you? I've been going through the same thing, but I'm barely past my teens(20). Games are just starting to seem like a waste of time. I feel like I could be doing something more productive. Like learning, or programming, or reading.
Actually, I've been feeling that too, but I can usually ignore it if I can find a game that's good enough.
;)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Single Player games are severely losing their appeal to me, but i look forward to my LAN party i go to every week, play some Arena FPS's or some RTS games, i enjoy FPS's online too (enless they're cheat infested like Americas Army or Any HL1 Mod)

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
it happened a long time for me. I don't know when or how. I think it started when i no longer had the will to finish any game i started. i'm not sure.

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
i dont play like i used to do, becuse im working and going to my university and takes a lot of time from me, but no im not bored.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been losing interest this year sort of, just nothing really interesting that grabbed me. HL2 was good but it wasn't as 'new' as they said it would be if you know what I mean, would of been new last year but games sorta covered what was in hl2 before it came out.

I'm hoping to get a DS in the new year to see if that can give me a new experience :)

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
My interest for games has simply been replaced by an obsession for the music genre Metal.I seem to enjoy just listening to metal the whole day more than playing a game..

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
My interest subsided a year ago when I found out that the "level up" routine was just not for me. Then I started exploring other genres and my interest emerged again... my average of games I play thoroughly (there are a lot that I start and never end) is low: 3 or 4 max.
That being said I've a crapload of stuff to take care of IRL, like work, studies, personal issues, learning stuff, etc... games are still my passion but, unfortunately, duty comes first.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
well its kinda boring for me if you play it all the time or you play video games almost every day or every other day... well I still like playing video games although not frequently... also its better not to stick with one game genre coz it will really bore you fast...

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Yea i guess that it gets kinda boring these days cos about 2 years ago i would pick up and play most games now i chose them very carefully, mainly becouse the lack of something innovative and amusing to play, most new games are based on the same recycled crap so you get the point.
I acctualy found a very nice game to those of you who like platformers it's called Gish and it is for one thing innovative.

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
Hmmm, I thought I was only like this but going through this thread.....I think its not we who are tired of games. It may be that the games are no longer THAT fun.

I mean, I played through MGS3 and I feel like I no longer need to play games and I am done with it. And well I am kinda playing Half Life 2 these days and I think as to why am I :p

I left off Doom3 in the middle of my game too. I donno....but now I think something EXTRA ordinary will rehook me to games. I have more desire to play some of my older games....perhaps I'll replay MGS3 'cos I seem to like it. Other than that, I feel like "drying" out. And that is mostly because of the uni and my studies....or rather, I think I am trying to make myself more, MUCH more usefull. Let's see. Anyways, I am planning on my "return to NGemu" in a couple of days so that I may have some more fun here. I feel like I am becoming kinda dry and too serious.....:(

·
Registered
330 Posts
this worried me for the last 4 - 5 years. I was thinking to myself....what happened to those days where i would sit in front of the sega genesis/cd/saturn and play for hours on end, happy as can be. So i thought, maybe they don't make the games the way they use to, and i find myself losing interest at a slow but steady rate. I'm not excited about new releases anymore either .Age? maybe. maybe I'm just "growing" out of it whether i want to or not. And i don't want to. I find that a decent rpg game like fallout and Baldur's gate will still keep me glued to my seat. but other than that, i just don't care so much anymore - and that's a bad thing

G

·
well, my attitude towards games has changed a little....when I was younger, I could occupy myself forever with only a few games...nowadays more like a dozen at once ^^
I'm more of a collector now.
But I also think Fawad has a point....in the old days, I played far more different genres...however, those I still play today, but with more recent games, I often find myself limited to only a few genres. could be a quality thing, eh?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think I just don't have as much patience or interest in playing games as I use to. When I played Zelda 3 for the snes, I remember being content just going around Hyrule not even accomplishing anything. But when I recently played the gba port, all I cared about was finishing the game.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
permethium said:
this worried me for the last 4 - 5 years. I was thinking to myself....what happened to those days where i would sit in front of the sega genesis/cd/saturn and play for hours on end, happy as can be. So i thought, maybe they don't make the games the way they use to, and i find myself losing interest at a slow but steady rate. I'm not excited about new releases anymore either .Age? maybe. maybe I'm just "growing" out of it whether i want to or not. And i don't want to. I find that a decent rpg game like fallout and Baldur's gate will still keep me glued to my seat. but other than that, i just don't care so much anymore - and that's a bad thing
Same here.. it sucks.

·
Prince of Persia
1,105 Posts
I don't have the time anymore with College and other stuff like girls(75% of my classes is filled with girls). So I don't have time, plus with other stuff like clubs and activities. A person doesn't have time to sit down and play a game.

The enjoyment factor is not there as it was there before.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Wow, I also thought it was just me. Most of my gamer friends think something is wrong with me cuz I don't play nearly as much as I used to. True I still play more than the average person I don't complete games anymore. I used to go through the most anal and longest of quests just to get that LAST thing (read star ocean 2). As I look at my current collection for ps2 gcn and xbx I can only say about a 1/4 of them I have actually finished. I'm actually more worried that I'm letting things go to waste, I HATE doing that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts