Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Resident Rabble Rouser
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to buy a new machine in January, specifically to play GTA IV, Dolphin, and also to do some audio work (recording, mixing, mastering).

Which machine should I get, or should I get something else altogether? I'm fully capable of building my own from the ground up, but these look inexpensive and easy, I just have to buy a vid card and throw it in:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TS-0008M-AMDP881-R&cat=SYS

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TS-0009M-C2Q980-R&cat=SYS

Thanks in advance for advice, and Happy HollyDaze

·
Registered
379 Posts
meh, is it the good place to ask this ? :p..
I'd rather get the Core 2 Quad, which is better than the 65nm Phenom.
But anyway, both have integrated graphics card, so if you want to play on this, you'd want to buy an actual graphic card.

Also, GTA IV is a shame for almost every computer, and you'll need more than 1GB of video memory to not even max the settings :dead:
(as an example, on my comp with a 8800GTS 320Mo, default setting was everything low and 800x600, and i couldn't even go higher because of some memory restrictions, hopefully it can be bypassed, but can also cause some glitches, such as things not loading because there's not enough free memory...)

However, with a little overclock, both should run Dolphin just fine :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
im soon getting a radeon 4870 with 1 gb ddr5 ,Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard, Hec psu 585 watt , and a zalman cpu coller with 2 more gb's of ocz pc6400 ram with a new ATOM (blue) case. This should help my OC to my CPU even more

WOW...AMD's really suck versus INTEL's ...DUDE get the QUAD ..............my bad

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello,

For GTA IV :

Minimal :
- 2 cores
- 3 GB RAM
- 15 GB free HDD
- Nvidia GeForce 7, 8 series

Recommended :
- 4 cores
- 4 GB de RAM
- 15 GB free HDD
- Nvidia GeForce 8, 9 series

Optimum :
- 4 cores
- 6/8 GB de RAM
- 15 GB free HDD
- Nvidia GeForce GTX series

For Dolphin:

Minimum System Requirements :

Operating System: Linux, Windows 2000, XP, Vista
Processor: 1 core*, 2 cores**, 4 cores***
Other features : Processor clocked at 2 GHz or more, supporting SSE2 instructions.
RAM: 768 MB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce series 6 and more
Update DirectX: Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

* = Intel Pentium 4 (AMD simple core are excluded)
** = Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64.
*** = Intel Core 2 Quad, Extreme, AMD PHENOM.

Recommended Configuration :

Operating System: XP, Vista
Processor: 2 cores**, 4 cores***
Other features : Processor clocked at 2,2 GHz or more, supporting SSE2 instructions.
RAM: 2 GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce series 7 and more

** = Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64.

Ideal Requirements :

.:. Play at fullspeed .:.

Operating System: XP, Vista
Processor: 4 cores***
Other features : Processor clocked at 2,4 GHz or more, supporting SSE2 instructions.
RAM: 3 GB or more
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce series 8 and more

;)

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
@cadiblack,

Yeah but Core 2 Quad have a very little speed increase for Dolphin. It doesnt help at all. That's what Dolphin team say and they are not interest in Core 2 Quad. This pic you have is good for PC games to improvement but not to Dolphin emulator. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
@RockmanForte
what would be a ideal recommended best cpu for this EMU, since a Quad is out the picture?
Maybe a I7....!?!?!

With those 2 pics i was showing him that a Q6600 will beat a Phenom in games like Crysis, GTA 4 , and all other high intense CPU demand.

AMD's have higher FSB , but INTEL's have just way to much brute force to cruise through cpu demanding games that are excellently optimized unlike GTAIV.
Those GTAIV recommended specs are too HIGH , Heck a I7 can't even run it on high even with a GF 280 ...........WTH

·
Registered
424 Posts
@cadiblack,

Yeah but Core 2 Quad have a very little speed increase for Dolphin. It doesnt help at all. That's what Dolphin team say and they are not interest in Core 2 Quad. This pic you have is good for PC games to improvement but not to Dolphin emulator. :)
Hey, I have a quad. If it were possible to get more performance by using two more cores, I'd do it. But the GC only has two major heavy parts: the PowerPC CPU and the GPU. The two can run on different cores, hence dual core mode, but neither of them can be split into smaller units that could be distributed to more cores.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OH...........that's OK i think DUAL CORES are fine as long as you have it at least 3 ghz+ , and the best GRFX card to you can use in your PC

·
Resident Rabble Rouser
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They have intergrated graphics so they won't really be able play anything.
Duh. I already put in my initial post I would OBVIOUSLY buy a new gfx card. :) I wouldn't run an N64 emu without a dedicated GPU!!! LOL

The Core 2 Quads are just too expensive. So are the i7s, and the boards they require too. I'm on a serious budget because I play music for a living.

The truth is (as somebody else stated) GTA IV runs like **** no matter what. The /. review of the game was BRUTAL, and honest, too. I just hate gaming on consoles compared to a computer. Hence me posting on emuforums, and upgrading my machine to play on rather than the xbox 360 and version SITTING in the living room. Yeah, I have GTA IV AND an xbox 360 in the living room and would still rather play it on a PC. I really don't understand how anyone can play consoles once they've played on a PC. It's like driving a moped after having a chauffeur drive you around in a limo. Consoles suck.

But anyway, thanks for all the advice. At this time I'm kind of leaning toward the phenom x4 and upgrading the ram and video card pretty much right away. My current machine is even slow a little bit on Skype and stuff.... LOL

Thanks again for all the input, and feel free to add any further points!

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
I say go build a Core 2 Duo system with that amount of money and i bet they include a cheap power supply for that price which is not good if overclocking or adding more expansion to the system (if they are any..)

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
i7 Processor, GF280GTX, Corsair DDR3 is the best solution.
lol...did you even bother to read through the thread?

@cyhylove

If you're into audio encoding, a quad would definitely set you apart from dual core users. But that's only with Intels quad sadly. AMDs Phenom X4 gets its ass handled by an overclocked Core 2 Duo....quite marginally I might add.

I highly suggest the Q6600 system. As for the GPU...what's your budget? Unless you tell me one, I assume you have none :p

*Edit
If you're not overclocking, I really do suggest that Intel quad system you picked out. If you do plan on overclocking, even a little, I highly recommend buying quality parts and assembling it yourself.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Give up on gta iv believe me u cant finish the game there are too many bugs u either stucking in the loading of the death or crashes withouth reason

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm probably going to buy a new machine,maybe an Alienware laptop,what do you think about this config?
Graphics Card : Double ATI® Mobility Radeon HD 3870 - 512 Mo compatible CrossFire
Processor : Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme Quad QX9300, 2,53 GHz, 12 Mo de Cache, 1 066 MHz FSB
Memory : 4 Go DDR3 SO-DIMM bicanal à 1067 MHz - 2 x 2048 Mo

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Ermmm, don't jack someone else's thread, start your own oO

If you're thinking about the 15.4" Alienware m15x, I suggest staying away. It has hinge issues and the back of the chassis also sounds like it has problems. Google and you'll see all the problems it has.

But to be honest...don't waste your money on Alienware. Seriously.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
@RockmanForte
what would be a ideal recommended best cpu for this EMU, since a Quad is out the picture?
Maybe a I7....!?!?!
What? i7 = quad-core with hyperthreading

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Correction

For GTA IV :

Minimal :
- 2 cores
- 3 GB RAM
- 15 GB free HDD
- Nvidia GeForce 7, 8 series