Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't decide where it was best to put this, for this is a programming project, but the help I need is more visuals than anything. If this thread needs to move somewhere else, please do.

I'm the the process of making a big project that will allow people to make RPGs. I guess you could say that such a project is unnecessary because such things have been done in the past (like RPGMaker). However, I like challenges and I think I should be able to pull it off. Basically, if any of you have played Zelda: Link to the Past for gameboy, the maker will basically be able to create most of the functions in that game except for enemies on the screen (I plan to have a realtime-like battle like Final Fantasty 1) and you probably won't be picking up many special items to use on screen (like a sword).
Anyways, the ideas are already taking concrete form in terms of actually creating both the software to create the games and the software to run the games. However, I might be a programmer, but I'm not an artist, and this project would be pointless without some visuals. I need some dedicated computer graphic artists that are willing to help me complete this project. One artist need not do all the visuals and I would feel satisfied if one person made a tileset here or there. If any of you are interested in contributing to this massive project, please contact me at [email protected] or leave a post at the bottom of the thread.

Here's a picture of the program running thus far:

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Er... did you stop and consider the difficulty in developing a scripting engine? If you think you can get it OK, I might be able to refer a few friends. Like you, I'm not much of an artist.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Excellent. I was worried about the lack of help I've had on this project.

Each tile is 32x32 pixels, as is standard for most projects like these. The color Black (RGB 0,0,0) is the transparent color.

Basically, the visuals in the project can come from any of the following areas:

1) Map Tilesets (I need these the most, but these are obviously much more time consuming than the others). Besides that which the name implies, some tiles in the tileset should have an extra tile or two as the animation of some of the tiles.

2) Character tilesets. I'm not far enough into the creation of the program as to exactly how I want these tilesets to look. Suffice it to say, they will probably be in the same manner as an RPGMaker tileset.

3) Items. Each item should have two tiles in a bitmap (64x32), one for the initial appearance and one for a possible animation. The animations aren't necessary. Items include potions, weapons (visuals are for use in battle), armor, Treasure chests and the like.

4) The program allows for dynamically programmable objects that allow people to customize the world around. These objects can take on any manner of appearance. However, most of these will be the same as the Items in terms of the way they look (meaning 64x32 in two tiles, first one initial look, second animation tile). I specifically need objects that look like doors, pits, obstacles, etc...

5) Enemy pictures for battle. I'm not exactly sure how these will work, but if you're interested in making them, I can think up of the way they should be handled.

6) Magic/Attack pictures for battle. Magic is the visual effect produced on the enemy/ally and Attack pictures are the visual effects when a monster/player is hit.

I need help in all of these areas, but you can choose whichever one you want. However, someone is already helping for the weapons/armor pictures, so I probably don't need so much help on those.

Kraelis said:
Er... did you stop and consider the difficulty in developing a scripting engine? If you think you can get it OK, I might be able to refer a few friends. Like you, I'm not much of an artist.
I have considered it, and the way I'm going to make it isn't very efficient. It will probably just convert all function and variable names to numbers. I have a set system, but it will likely be recursive. I'm hoping that the programming sections of each area won't be too complicated.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
AtomicFeline: Its a nice project your got going. I'm no artist but you should check www.zfgc.com (Zelda Fan Game Central)

Alot of the members there are making Zelda fangames with gamemaker and im pretty sure most of them could help you.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Here's a simple house (with s seperate window you can put over the top) and a grass tile. I split the door into 2 halves for you.

I used iDraw which set it out into 32x32 pieces. So I don't understand how I'm getting the size wrong. Could you elaborate on what you want exactly and I will resize it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vanit said:
Here's a simple house (with s seperate window you can put over the top) and a grass tile. I split the door into 2 halves for you.

I used iDraw which set it out into 32x32 pieces. So I don't understand how I'm getting the size wrong. Could you elaborate on what you want exactly and I will resize it.
Each object MUST be 32x32 (unless it's a Map Tileset or Enemy). The first 32x32, for example, would have the door closed all fitting within the 32x32 limit. The second 32x32 would have the door open.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
So is splitting the door in half (like I've done) comply with that? Because it has 2x32 tiles in each one. And in the program if you put the tiles above each other and trigger them at the same time it should work properly...

And here is some water and a bush.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Here's the smaller door, a chest, a cheat that shines, a potion, my attempt at chainmail, a charset, gloves, boots and a helmet (in 2 sizes).

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Here's a 3-framed sword animation, lightning animation (in 2 colours), a scan animation,a wave animation, a knife animation and a fire animation. Each frame is 64x64 and in total 192x64.

I was surprised how well they turned out. I'll make some more when I talk to you tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts