Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My friend is getting a new pc because his 2003 one is dying l o l. He wants to play on PCSX2 and use it for the PC version of Street Fighter IV. My friend can only use about $1200 for a new one. Anyways, he saw one at Best Buy which has the following specifications:

Base Features
Processor Type AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9850
Processor Speed 2.5GHz
RAM 8 GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 750 GB SATA 7200 RPM
Optical Drives See The Features Section
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit w/ SP1

Graphics
Dedicated Video Memory Yes
Shared Video Memory Yes - Up to 2559 MB
TV Tuner Dual-Format NTSC; ATSC
Video Memory 768 MB

Heres the actual link for more detail:

Computers: Desktop Computers: HP Pavilion Desktop Computer featuring AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9850 (M9515F) | Best Buy Canada Web Store

I told him its pretty decent for its price; however, I could be wrong. I am not too bright when it comes to pc hardware and specifications. Nevertheless, I think the only main issue he might have to run PCSX2 and SF IV might be the graphics card - it being NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS.

Anyways, if anyone can confirm whether or not this pc is good, we both would greatly appreciate it. Moreover, if it only needs a better graphics card, please recommend one that is not uber expensive.

:)

Thanks.

-Gmbluedestiny

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
AMD Phenom.... Well you'd AT LEAST want Phenom II (Intel would probably be better), and the GPU isn't great.

I don't think it's worth it. He should considering learning to build one, as he'd get much more for his money.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
No.

-Cheap non-Intel AMD garbage
-Pretty weak video-card
-No Overlocking
-HP malware bull**** (EBAY!)
-Hold-your-hand bull**** (THIS IS A MOUSE! THAT'S A KEYBOARD!)
-"probably" crap ram

Build a real system; better systems can be built for under or around $800.
I'll prove it if I don't get too lazy later... I'm too lazy right now... I just got off work. This has nothing to do with the topic; I'm just ranty because I had a bad day.

...I want hot pockets and maybe a beer. I've smoked most all of my cigarettes and my wife wants money. I think I might play guitar later...

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
"Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS"

HELL NO

Bestbuy isnt well known for good desktops anyways. Take a look around newegg, at least, its usually much better pricing.

Although best case is to just go with a custom build. I built a pc for $1200 1 year ago and it is WAY better than this one u picked out (check my sig) you can probably build the same thing for $900 now.

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
I was about to ask "which of the parts is he intending on keeping?", but then I saw that the pc was 6 years old...
If he hasn't replaced his mouse/keyboard/monitor, I really suggest he do that, unless he has some super-duper-really-expensive-awesome stuff :-D But somehow I doubt that.

He's much better off getting everything. And not a package deal, as they tend to be a lot more expensive than it would be if he just got the parts and installed it himself.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
No. Phenom II offer better value than both the C2 and i7 series.

How does that make them suck?

·
Registered
436 Posts
LOL Intel fanboy.

Also, TC I recognize that building computers from scratch is just not cut out for everyone unlike most people here.

Building one from scratch does has it's perks, but not everyone has the time and patience to deal with the headaches.

that is why I recommend that you go this website, and make a build of whatever parts you need, they assemble the pc for you, then ship it to you. The prices aren't rediculous and for the most part they are decent deals.

The website is www.ecollegepc.com

Or if you want to get a real good pc(You won't have many choices in what parts you get though, but the pc is top notch and very powerful) Get a Dell Studio XPS 435MT. You can find that on Dell Laptops, Desktop Computers, Monitors, Printers & PC Accessories

Gateway also had the Gateway FX that has an i7 processor, you could try looking them up. The last I say, the pc was very decently priced.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Future useability and compatibility.
What are you talking about? the platform that the Phenom 2s are on is not going to be killed off anytime soon, unlike the LGA 775 platform for the old Core 2 Quads. There is absolutely no reson to get a Core 2 Quad, unless you have a LGA 775 motherboard already. If you are starting from scratch, then the i7 or the Phenom 2s are the only way to go. Even on the lower end the Athlons are better since they actually work on a platform that will be supported for a good amount of time, and the new Dual cores are at least competing with Intels dual cores.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
There's nothing wrong with either brand if you shop smart. They both offer more power at a great value most home PC owners won't utilize.

And I wouldn't quite consider the Core 2 line up (the later generation) out of the picture yet. With their prices dropping across the table, they make for a fine upgrade for most people. Now's a really good time to upgrade if you need to. Sales and deals flying all over the place. For the same amount of money, I can buy a prebuilt computer with 3 year warranty that has

E7400, 4GB of OCZ RAM, 750GB hard drive, 9600GT, CM 500W PSU and Vista Home Premium 64bit...not great for most of us, yeah, but for the same price, it's leagues better then the one you listed gmbluedestiny. Instead of big brand stores like BestBuy, look around for actual computer stores. Check out their sites, maybe ask around and see which ones a popular one.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Future useability and compatibility.
Like Intel's doubt about the Socket 1366 continuity?

FYI, Phenom II is compatible with AM2+ sockets as well as their new AM3. There is a whole lot more certainty there than Intel is offering atm with their
- Discontinued 775 (maybe still for low end)
- Dodgy 1366 future
- Unreleased new chipset

You're quite alone in your pov, you may want to read up on Phenom II rather than embarrassing yourself with sticking to the outdated mindset :) Right now they really even each other out and it depends on the deal you can get.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
1366 isn't going anywhere anytime soon, westmere (6 core nahalem) will launch on it.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Like Intel's doubt about the Socket 1377 continuity?

FYI, Phenom II is compatible with AM2+ sockets as well as their new AM3. There is a whole lot more certainty there than Intel is offering atm with their
- Discontinued 775 (maybe still for low end)
- Dodgy 1377 future
- Unreleased new chipset

You're quite alone in your pov, you may want to read up on Phenom II rather than embarrassing yourself with sticking to the outdated mindset :) Right now they really even each other out and it depends on the deal you can get.
i7 is Socket 1366 (Nehalem)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Thanks Phil. I still think they should've just stuck with Socket 1337 though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.