Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry, I know we had a thread on this already, but it was kind of old. I'm not trying to get anyone down or anything, but a few people have asked why someone would fear death. They say things like "You can't do anything about it, why worry?", or "Death is a pleasant, peaceful, never-ending sleep." The way I see it, anything involving death royally sucks :(. If there is an afterlive, we could goto Heaven and probably be bored to tears from doing the same thing for all eternity, or we could goto Hell and face eternal torment for all eternity. If we die and lose our consciousness, we would cease to be and could no longer have any kind of experiences. What's worse, no matter what, we have to face death alone. It may sound selfish, but I don't fear dying because of how it will affect the people I care about, I fear dying because of how it will affect me. It scares me horribly to think that everything I've ever done, everything I've ever felt, could be taken away in a heartbeat as if none of it had ever happened. I don't care if people remember me, living in someone's memory is not living. No matter how much people remember you, the fact that YOU no longer exist remains. This guy has basically taken my feelings on death and written them down.

http://klempner.freeshell.org/articles/fear.html

I don't mean to get anyone down, I just need to see some other people's feelings on this.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
I'm not afraid of dying... It's just the uncertainty of what happens after death.

But it is sad when your family member/Pet/Friend dies...

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
Oftentimes people fear death so much, they forget to "live". Death is nothing but a natural progression of life. Instead on focusing on death, why not just live your life to the fullest, so to speak. People will remember you not for how you died, but for how you lived.

·
Registered
416 Posts
what is with the time before you was born? you did nothing, you felt nothing, you got no experience, you was dead. do you worry about this? <.<
I'm sure it's pretty much the same. But nobody have problems to know, what they missed, only what they will miss.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Death is un-evitable. Just live the way you want to be. That being said, I do have an ambition to die in a certain way when my time comes.

Yours,
-Elly

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
People remembering me doesn't do anything for me though. Being remembered isn't the same as continuing to live. People also wouldn't remember all the personal thoughts I had, all the dreams I never told anyone, the feelings I had toward people. You would no longer be able to affect the world. Popuri, before I was born, I had not lived(naturally), so I had nothing to lose. Now that I have lived, I have things I don't want to lose. Even if these things disappear after death, knowing right now that they will disappear is exactly what scares me. I guess it's not necessarily bad to fear death, it makes me value my life more. I guess it's like when you write a really long document on the computer, just to have the power go out before you get to save it. :|

Elly: Mind sharing? :)

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
bcrew1375 said:
The way I see it, anything involving death royally sucks :(. (...)
Most human phases suck... being a child, a teenager, your first time on your own on the real world, and so on and so forth... it's all about adaptation. I don't fear death... it will come... someday. Until then, there are just so many things I have to do that I can't spend my time worrying about what may happen.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
I've no fear of death. In fact, I considered suicide as an option several times in my life.

I don't fear the cessation of my existence. It's the vicissitudes of life that scares me...

But I do understand that people may feel differently about it. Recently I've read a short essay posted by a member (Eliezer Yudkowsky) of a mail list that I participate in. He wrote it after his 19-years old brother died. The thread can be found on their online archives: Yehuda Yudkowsky, 1985-2004 .

Warning for the religious readers: it's not a religion-friendly short essay :)

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
I'm not afraid of death too.

When you die there'a a few options that could happen, eternity, reincarnation or just... nothing :) so live your life don't worry, or don't be scared because of death, it will come sooner or later, and than... everyone would like to know, but have to 'see' it with their own eyes (or with that what will be left :evil: ) :)

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
We do not fear death...for some it is a mercy, but we firmly believe in it's natural progression. We believe in an afterlife (PLEASE DO NOT TURN THE TOPIC INTO A RELIGION THREAD). Science has allowed human life to be extended, and that is a good thing, but we would not see our lives exceed that of our future children or the woman we love. Perhaps we are a romantic that way...If we grow old with a woman, we would not wish to see her grow enfeebled and in pain..we would rather go before.

No matter...even in death the legend of Dark Watcher live on

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Dark Watcher said:
If we grow old with a woman, we would not wish to see her grow enfeebled and in pain..we would rather go before.
What if both you and her (and your kids too, if that's the case) could stay young?
Would you still choose to die, or would you like to live a bit more (like, say, 300 years more)?

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Boltzmann said:
What if both you and her (and your kids too, if that's the case) could stay young?
Would you still choose to die, or would you like to live a bit more (like, say, 300 years more)?
Dunno about DW, but if it was up to me, I would choose death ;) Many relationships get weaken after a couple of years ( or at least, become less passionate). Heh, and you wanna live for 300 years? :p Which brings the question of, what are you living for? ( Again, keep religon/anti religon away from it).

bcrew1375 : I once ranted about it before. I see people living only to satisfy their desires. The don't want to die because they can't quench their thirst for pleasures in this moral life. Personally, my goal in life is to reach my answers, follow and abide by my morals, and die fighting for my believes. Easier said than done, but I ll try my best.

Yours,
-Elly

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Well, you shouldn't worry about death itself, but about what will lead you to it.
Dying quickly without pain can be fine, dying with extreme pain (burnt alive for example)
is what you should try to avoid... no matter what comes after ;)

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Boltzmann said:
Science can progress, and possibly extend life for many more years, but death is still inevitable. Why prolong it? We imagine a man who undergoes treatments to live for 300 years. The next day he is struck by a bus :thumb: . Seriously...can you imagine the population rate if people lived to 300? Long life can only be appreciated if it guarantees a long life of happiness. Since there are no guarantees...

When the time for us to die comes...then let it come...even if it can come in 300 years

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I've got better things to worry about than death: Like staying alive and making the best out of it ;)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I just don't think about death, because it is really a question that can't be answered. Where you go, what it's like etc ...

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
when i die i wish to ceise to exist. Life from my side sucks so bad i wish for it. My parents are abusive ****s. My brother is an ass. My sister is a stuck up snob. I definately don't want to live into my 60s. Knowing my luck though i probably would though. The only things that bring me pleasure anymore is anime and computer related stuff and those in themselves arn't worth living for. The world is currupt and evil and definately not worth saving imho. This sounds like a suicide note probably but i'm too much of a coward to do anything like that. For me death is the only great adventure :p

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
errr... how did you read my mind? o_O

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
/me gives Killjoy a hug

Hey, at least you got HL2 ... and us :emb:

·
Registered
7,836 Posts