Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any guides for overclocking for beginners? Is there an application I can use inside of Windows to overclock without touching my bios?

What is the max speed I can bump my C2D E8500 up to without issues from your experiences? What is the max temperature my C2D E8500 can handle before I risk frying it or experiencing stability issues?

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
GAH! Don't tell him that! :D
I'll do this quick... I'm a little lazy.

A list of things to consider!:

What kind of CPU cooler do you use?
How fast is your ram?
What kind of motherboard do you have?
Is there good airflow in your PC case?

There are alot of things like this to know about:

CPU voltage
Ram voltage
FSB voltage
NB voltage
Ram timings
Ram multipliers/dividers
CPU multiplier and fsb

Granted, this isn't something you want to fail at. Stability is key and if something seems slightly off, it more than likely is.

Troubleshooting:
Core too hot - too high overclock/voltage/bad cooler/not enough or horridly applied thermal paste
instability - core too hot, too high/old bios/bad ram/voltage not high enough(on anything really)
fail to boot - voltages not high enough or you just bought yourself a ticket to failville.

--
The OCing itself.

Overclock in small incriments. I'd say 200mhz increments. Then run your system as you normally would all the while continuously running tests(we'll get to that later). Keep PCI-E frequency to 100mhz-110mhz so it doesn't fluctuate during OC. Keep your Ram divider/multiplier small so you can 1:1 your Ram to your CPU clock for maximum SPEED! If you begin to see instability, check your temperatures, if temps aren't that high then give your NB and FSB a good .1v. Give your cpu about .2 volts itself but keep it under 60-70C.

It's a long process. In each increment run some of these programs::
"CPU Stability test" - Free, google it
"Memtest" - Free, google it
"3Dsmark06" - ...um, most people have it, it won't be a problem finding out where to get it.

Run 'em for a good 30minutes to an hour. If no system problems occur like glitching and whatnot, you're good to go up another 200mhz increment. Once you see your first glitch or temperature peak, back off about 100mhz, make sure voltages are set properly and off you go.

PS: most DDR2 runs at 2.21v, just check with your manufacturer, it really helps being spot on with DDR2 voltage for system stability.
OH,...and....

DON'T OVERVOLT ANYTHING. Voltage kills parts! Keep it low and slow, go slowly and be a witness to your work.

Oh... and always use the bios.
ALWAYS.

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GAH! Don't tell him that! :D

A list of things to consider!:

What kind of CPU cooler do you use?
How fast is your ram?
What kind of motherboard do you have?
Is there good airflow in your PC case?

Oh... and always use the bios.
ALWAYS.
Well I'm using the stock Intel CPU cooler for now until I can get a better one that fits inside my case properly..

This is the memory I bought when I built my PC:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I have an Asrock G43-Twins Motherboard

For Airflow, currently it looks fine, plenty of room inside case, not crowded and wires somewhat managed..

My current idle temps are 32 - 38 degrees Celsius with temps under load reachin 41/42 - 48 Degrees Celsius, this is with CPU intensive applications/emulators like PCSX2 and Dolphin.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
My current idle temps are 32 - 38 degrees Celsius with temps under load reachin 41/42 - 48 Degrees Celsius, this is with CPU intensive applications/emulators like PCSX2 and Dolphin.
Well that's good. You've got a good 10C to grow(or so). Practice with a little upping, just to see what kind of temps your core takes from it.

All cores are different, for the most part. Mine only takes about 2C every 300mhz. Some though, you add 200mhz and the core goes up 5C.

terrible, terrible terrible.
It's all about testing and work. Good ram, though!

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
I'd recommend to stay away from third party apps to overclock, even beginners.

Just remember to set almost everything to manual when overclocking to avoid fluctuating voltages and CPU speeds. Only when you know it's stable should you turn on Speedstep and such.

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do I need to increase voltage or just the FSB and mutiplier? I have no idea whatsoever on what this involves...

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Do I need to increase voltage or just the FSB and mutiplier? I have no idea whatsoever on what this involves...
That all depends. Your CPU might take the overclock with no voltage addition whatsoever depending on how high you overclock it to begin with. Normally though, processors need an extra little jolt of voltage to stay stable at higher clocks. A clock of 200-400mhz should really require no voltage alteration in terms of the core as far as I'm concerned.

You should only mess with the voltages if your overclock is causing system problems and not high CPU temps. If there is no high CPU temp then there is no reason to believe that the CPU is at fault for the errors, it just means the CPU, fsb and north bridge need a little more juice. Either that or you're just screwed.

When I stress "little", I stress "LITTLE". Only use as little voltage as you need to stabilize your system.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
As you raise your FSB, you'll probably have to raise your voltage. Keep your multiplier locked at its max, in your case, I believe the E8500 has 8?

The order I usually do is FSB increase then voltage increase when next boot doesn't get past POST. Rinse and repeat.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Afraid of the bios or something? You'll have more control of the system or and your overclocks if you do directly from the bios. And I'm sure you have heard this before, "google is your friend"...

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
C2d 45nm oc like a dream mine up to 3.2ghz without change in tem

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Afraid of the bios or something? You'll have more control of the system or and your overclocks if you do directly from the bios. And I'm sure you have heard this before, "google is your friend"...
So it's wrong for a fellow member to ask questions on his forum on something new to him? If you've got nothing to add to the topic at hand, why bother saying it? Just stay out if it bothers you.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
So it's wrong for a fellow member to ask questions on his forum on something new to him? If you've got nothing to add to the topic at hand, why bother saying it? Just stay out if it bothers you.
Because it will be more worthwhile if you do something yourself, no? If he did his research and still have no clue or have questions then it would be different story. Oh yeah, i did add something more useful information than you ;) reread my post and you'll see.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
thats HOW tuanming helpsa people. get used to it :p

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
As you raise your FSB, you'll probably have to raise your voltage. Keep your multiplier locked at its max, in your case, I believe the E8500 has 8?
The E8200 has a multiplier of 8
The E8300 has a multiplier of 8.5
The E8400 has a multiplier of 9
The E8500 has a multiplier of 9.5
The E8600 has a multiplier of 10

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Conversely, my e4500 in my Blu Cube has a multiplier of 11 :evil:

And Skore has the parts started coming in??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts