Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'm playing around with MvC2 and I noticed I have a much harder time executing Raging Demon, Lightning Kicks, or that pirate chicks barrel special than I did in the original PS2.

Lightning Kicks in specific seems to require absurd button press speeds to register for even one frame. I even putting the game in training mode and then smashing the kick button using the index finger in true button-mashing QTE mode makes the skill only register for like two frames, if that.

There are no issues with commands that require half or quater cyrcle though. Shoryukens and the like as working just fine. Only commands that require more precise timing seem to be affected.

If I had to guess, I think emulation is skipping some frames and that is wonking out how the game registers inputs. As in, it needs kick to be pressed 3 times in 10 frames to activate, but the game is skipping frames so 10 frames become 6, or something.

If that is the case it probably can be solved by tweaking the plugin. I just don't know where >_>

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,478 Posts
Yes indeed, frame skipping CAN cause these issues, but a gamepad with a crappy D-pad can too.

I've been using an XBOX One controller for various console ports and it's great. Then I fired up MAME to play some King of Fighters 2002 and I had trouble even performing simple special moves like Quarter-circle-forward + Punch specials. I dug out my (really) old gamepad I had formerly used mostly just for emulation (it lacks dual triggers) and I had no problem performing any combos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes indeed, frame skipping CAN cause these issues, but a gamepad with a crappy D-pad can too.

I've been using an XBOX One controller for various console ports and it's great. Then I fired up MAME to play some King of Fighters 2002 and I had trouble even performing simple special moves like Quarter-circle-forward + Punch specials. I dug out my (really) old gamepad I had formerly used mostly just for emulation (it lacks dual triggers) and I had no problem performing any combos.
I'll try to use another controller to see if it's the problem, then.

At first glance I checked the options and there's a checked box for not skipping frames as well so it's probably not that anyways

1 - 3 of 3 Posts