Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a source of 100% legally acquired genesis games so I figured it may be of interest to this community, and thus I'm posting it here. ^_^

Currently there is a sale running on Steam for the "SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics" collection, which is a large pack of genesis games. They are going for pretty cheap at about $1 each.

Why this may be of interest is that this game collection isn't a set of PC ports but instead contains a bunch of ROM images that can be run in the emulator of your choice.

But most importantly this may be one of the last best methods to legally acquire Sonic the Hedgehog 3 if you want it.

From what I've read SEGA has actually managed to lose the rights to the music or some other component of Sonic 3, which is why it hasn't been showing up in any recent collections. The copy being sold on steam predates their loss of license hence why it is still available.

If you do purchase the collection the ROMs can be found in a folder called: "uncompressed ROMs" usually installed to this location "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sega Classics\uncompressed ROMs\".

Some of the ROMs will have .68k or .sgd file type extensions. Just rename them all to .bin and you should be able to run them in your genesis emulator without a problem.

I've already tested this with a few games using an emulator called Kega Fusion and so far everything is working without a problem.
(Note: From what I've read the Retroarch emulator can read the .68k file type without renaming it. Haven't tested that myself though.)

Additionally the version of Sonic 3 that is being sold has got Sonic & Knuckles installed into it, so that's pretty good.

Here is a full list of games found in the collection:
- Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
- Alien Soldier
- Alien Storm
- Altered Beast
- Beyond Oasis
- Bio-Hazard Battle
- Bonanza Bros.
- Columns
- Columns III
- Comix Zone
- Crack Down
- Decap Attack
- Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
- Dynamite Headdy
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Ecco Jr.
- Ecco: The Tides of Time
- ESWAT: City Under Siege
- Eternal Champions
- Fatal Labyrinth
- Flicky
- Gain Ground
- Galaxy Force II
- Golden Axe
- Golden Axe II
- Golden Axe III
- Gunstar Heroes
- Kid Chameleon
- Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
- Light Crusader
- Phantasy Star II
- Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
- Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
- Ristar
- Shadow Dancer
- Shining Force
- Shining Force II
- Shining in the Darkness
- Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
- Sonic 3D Blast
- Sonic Spinball
- Sonic The Hedgehog
- Sonic The Hedgehog 2
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles
- Space Harrier II
- Streets of Rage
- Streets of Rage 2
- Streets of Rage 3
- Super Thunder Blade
- Sword of Vermilion
- The Revenge of Shinobi
- ToeJam & Earl
- ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
- VectorMan 2
- VectorMan
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
- Wonder Boy in Monster World

In my opinion this is a good method to legally acquire these ROMs if you don't have the equipment to dump your own from a cartridge.

Currently I've been playing Crack Down which I highly recommend if you have someone you can play it multiplayer with.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,594 Posts
It's indeed a good method. Another (but much more complicated) one is the genesis/mega drive flashback console (it runs android and has USB on the inside), but that one is already missing sonic 3.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
The SNK ones won't work with MAME, the BIOS isn't complete enough for MAME.

I politely asked GOG to see if they could ask SNK for a complete set to give customers, but they said they couldn't. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts