Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Squire
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been doing some digging and research on why Xbox discs are not readable by DVD drives in PCs. I came across a Wikipedia article that cited a source that is not longer on the net (copying-xbox-games.com if you were curious). The citation was the following:

"Guide to setup EvolutionX". Retrieved 2010-01-06. "The reason that you have to convert the EvolutionX files to an ISO format is because your Xbox uses a special "xISO" format to read the DVD's. That's why Xbox DVD's can't be read on a standard computer. You use a program called xISO to create that ISO, then burn the ISO to a CDRW. It's in a format called "UDF" so that your Xbox can read the disc. Since the data is encoded in the UDF format, you won't be able to view the files on your PC once they are burned to CDRW."
My question is purely theoretical. Is it theoretically possible to somehow get the PC DVD drive to communicate with the xISO format? Would it be through custom firmware for each and every make and model of DVD drive out there? Could the drive be tricked somehow into copying the data, and then converting it afterwards? Also, are there any other resources/documentation on the xISO format?

This may be a silly question -- but sometimes I get interesting answers to what I thought was a silly question, so I tend to ask them anyway if I can't find out the answer on my own. The reason I ask is that I'd like to try my hand at contributing to an emulator, and depending on the answer, this may be where I start. I don't have a lot of experience in this particular area of programming, but I do know quite a bit about C/C++ itself, as well as Java, Python, and a few other languages. I've also made significant progress on a chip-8 emulator, so I have a meager understanding of the structure of an emulator.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Purkinje

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's probably not going to help you much, but it seems like I can read Xbox 360 discs just fine... They have a "normal" filesystem that simply has a small video saying you should put the disc in an Xbox (probably for people who think "hey let's play this game in my DVD player"), but if you access the "raw" disc data you can get access to the real filesystem. Now of course you might encounter regions that can't be read due to disc protections but I haven't gone that far yet...

And yeah that's for Xbox 360, not Xbox, but the filesystem is pretty much the same, just located at a different offset, so I'm guessing you should be able to do the same...

Why not just try to list the files in an ISO image, then switch to reading raw data from a disc and see if it works?

·
Squire
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you access the "raw" disc data you can get access to the real filesystem. Now of course you might encounter regions that can't be read due to disc protections but I haven't gone that far yet...

And yeah that's for Xbox 360, not Xbox, but the filesystem is pretty much the same, just located at a different offset, so I'm guessing you should be able to do the same...

Why not just try to list the files in an ISO image, then switch to reading raw data from a disc and see if it works?
I tried using MagicISO to rip the "raw" disc data, but the only data within the ISO or UIF file (I tried both formats) is the video (VIDEO_TS folder with video inside of it).

Have you found any software that allows you to access the raw data and package it all in an ISO or UIF file?

·
Squire
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tried xbox backup creator? Ripping, patching and repackaging are supported
I just tried that, and on the Read tab, everything is greyed out. I have an ASUS DRW-24B1ST a 1.04 DVD drive. I don't have any custom firmware for the drive installed -- do I need to install custom firmware?

When I try to use the Image Browser, I get this error: Unable to determine Xbox Disc Type.

Here's the log file:
Code:
Xbox Backup Creator v2.9 Build:0306 By Redline99

Found ODD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST   a 1.04 at [D]
   Additional Info: 2010-10-12 13:07
Nero API is not available
ImgBurn executable not found
Getting media info [D]
   Media Type: DVD-ROM
   Bytes Used: 6.87 MB (7,206,912 bytes)
Found ODD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST   a 1.04 at [4:1]
Getting media info [4:1]
Found ODD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST   a 1.04 at [D]
   Additional Info: 2010-10-12 13:07
Getting media info [D]
Extracting Sector
   Operation cancelled
Checking ISO Region Information
   Operation cancelled
Opening Image Browser
EDIT: I found that there only a few drives that will read these discs -- unless you can find firmware to install to make it work. So, anyone know if this is available for my ASUS DRW-24B1ST drive? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts