Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, that didn't take long. Despite the fact that the 360 boasted one of the most robust copy protection systems ever in a video game console, it has already been cracked and modchips will apperently be avalible soon.

Xbox 360 mod chips due in a few weeks?

Ok, it was cute and all when Microsoft came out with their statements about how "hack-proof" the Xbox 360 was going to be, and they even admitted themselves that "sooner or later someone will work out how to circumvent security," but it seems like we're going to see some hackage sooner rather than later. SPOnG is reporting that the first mod-chips for the 360 will be available within a month, allowing the play of "backup" game copies, which, with the recently released software that allows Xbox 360 game data extraction, means that Microsoft might have some piracy on their hands before too long. Though, if it's any consolation for the boys in Redmond, SPOnG is reporting that "Microsoft's security is the best we've seen to date for a disc-system. It it weren't for the fact that DVD is used, it's likely that further development wouldn't have been worth anyone's time.” Oh the irony.
Kinda makes me wonder if the PS3 will do any better. Of course, until writable Bluray drives come out Sony doesn't have much to worry about. It seems like proprietary disc formats are just about the only effective form of console copyright protection.

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
Bluray will be obselete within a year. The new holographic discs boast 300gb and 10x the read and write speed of DVDs. Though thats a bit offtopic :).

As for the copy protection, I even heard that you can play burnt Xbox games on the 360 without any modification at all.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Its more then 300GB, its 3TB, but tbh thats too much space for the current time, no one will use it any time soon. I exepect those discs to be common in 2009, not any sooner.

*edit* hum i see they'll release a 200 GB version by 2006, still think its too much though :p

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
i'm not surprised a mod chip is already on its way.

Metalmurphy said:
hum i see they'll release a 200 GB version by 2006, still think its too much though :p
bet they'll be damn expensive though. as for its usability? it's a nice way to back up an entire hard drive. :p

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well, these are one of the quickest mod chip releases I have heard so far. Well I guess we shall see how M$ reacts to this, most likely a search and destroy mission might be in order. Also if they have price on those holo disc, it would be good to know, although as Exodus says it might be a pretty penny.

·
band
5,270 Posts
i think you all are too naive.

MS's real copyprotection is in the form of the bugs/glitches/scratches that were so publicized. with the fear that they mite have to return the consoles to MS for service, who wud go mod their console :evil:

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Exodus said:
i'm not surprised a mod chip is already on its way.

bet they'll be damn expensive though. as for its usability? it's a nice way to back up an entire hard drive. :p
Actually thats one of my points against such big storage, are u willing to trust ur entire backup in 1 disk that can be damaged way more easly then a HD? i mean if its several DVDs the odds that u loose everything is minimun, but if u got everything in just one disc... :S i wouldnt take that risk.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
This might change my mind about buying one...

...well, no.

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
Metalmurphy: People are really cautious about scratching discs and most of us have light scratching and being the worrying people we think we see a performance drop. Truth is only a handful of us here have actually scratched a disc deep enough to corrupt data.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Well, i for once never scrached one, but i still got some unreadable discs for reasons unkown to me, and im usually very carefull with discs. All im saying is, stuff happens, and i would never trust all my data in just one disc. same way i wouldnt store all my money in the same safe :p

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
Metalmurphy said:
Actually thats one of my points against such big storage, are u willing to trust ur entire backup in 1 disk that can be damaged way more easly then a HD? i mean if its several DVDs the odds that u loose everything is minimun, but if u got everything in just one disc... :S i wouldnt take that risk.
okay, make two copies then. :p
but really, its a back up. it shouldn't be in any sort of position to be scratched since it should be hiding away somewhere. besides, i've never killed a disc yet, so what are the chances of scratching something that important?

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
IIRC x360 discs have already been decrypted and put up for warez. It's only a matter of time ;)

·
Transcended
1,421 Posts
And to think the PS2's mod too a lot longer to perfect. But then, having to deal with a PS and a PS2 core talking to each other might have been the problem.

Tsk... how much different can Microsoft make each XBox 360? Unless it means it has a different hash or serial and got that fact blown out of proportion by marketing... yeah gotta love those marketing dudes.

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
well, if they rigged the xbox360 so that it'd self destruct when opened, they might have good results in the hack-preventing scene.

·
band
5,270 Posts
lol that reminds me of the xbox (original) blowing up in ppl's faces incidents :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Metalmurphy said:
Keep a backup of the backup?

I don't see how you can consider the storage size "too much" when there's already some speculation that Xbox 360 games may grow to occupy multiple DVDs.

You're also assuming that the writers for these disks could be available to people at an affordable price. That is highly unlikely, though if you have evidence of the affirmative I would like to see it.

But look at it this way: would you rather see an entirely new medium every couple years in order to keep up with the demand of media, or a standard adopted as soon as next year which could take of the problem for a long time to come?

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
aperson said:
Keep a backup of the backup?

I don't see how you can consider the storage size "too much" when there's already some speculation that Xbox 360 games may grow to occupy multiple DVDs.
erm u'll nead at least 22 DVDs to fill 1 Holographic Disc so theres not much to what ur saying. You would be paying for the extra 20 u wouldnt be using in a way.

All im saying is such a big storage is alot for this time, theres gotta be a relation between storage and the average file size that is used if u know what i mean, long time ago games ocupied 500kb, so we had disquetes then they ocupied CDs, then they started using serveral CDs and the DVDs came along, it has allways been pretty much what u need is what u get, now ur getting alot more then u need and u will somehow pay for the extra storage that u dont need.

·
Read Only
10,484 Posts
I agree with Metalmurphy that that's a lot of space right know.
But people will find the way to fill that.

I'm imagining developers releasing collections of games in only one disc, for example (not probable) final fantasy 7, 8 and 9, all in one disc. although I don't know if that is posible in a dual layer dvd.

But wow, damn 3TB oO that's a lot of space.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.