Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been ages since DeSmuME's wifi was last worked on. I'd be a shame to leave that dead, really.

The arrival of 3DS emulators made me want to get back into emulation, and that meant continuing work on the DS wifi.

The issue is that at this point, GBAtek's wifi documentation isn't enough to continue implementing wifi and get multiplayer games working. I started doing my own tests and reverse-engineering to figure out the unclear/undocumented parts. Later on, I will put all that in a continued version of GBAtek's wifi doc.

If anyone remembers the DeSmuME mods, it's nostalgia time. I will make my own DeSmuME branch again, except this time it will be an actual branch hosted on Github and not sporadic 'mod' releases. While the main goal of this branch will be wifi development, I'm also thinking about other objectives like providing a cleaner, cross-platform interface (Win32 GUI coding is awful).

I made a new blog where I will post details about my wifi emulation adventures and other changes I make to DeSmuME. There will also be posts about 3DS emulation there, once I receive the Gateway I ordered, but that isn't relevant to this thread.

If I end up releasing builds of my branch, they will come with wifi communications enabled, of course.

Current DeSmuME wifi status:

YOU CANNOT TRANSFER POKEMONS.

Connecting to the internet via SoftAP (infrastructure mode) works. Connections tend to break after a while, though.
* libnds homebrews work rather well
* WFC is dead so there's no point bothering with it anymore

Connecting two (or more) desmumes together doesn't work. For example, in NSMB: Luigi discovers Mario and they successfully exchange auth/assoc frames. Then, Mario keeps sending data frames (apparently too much of them), Luigi doesn't reply, connection breaks.

Given the tight timing local multiplayer requires, I'm not sure it will work over a LAN. Connecting DeSmuME to a real DS might be possible (using a specific wifi card), but I'm not thinking about it for now.

Any help in reverse-engineering or programming is welcome.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was mostly talking about local multiplayer (ie NSMB battle mode, or the infamous example of trading pokemons). But hey, having DeSmuME automatically redirect WFC requests to a custom WFC server would be interesting.

Maybe my work on reverse-engineering the wifi hardware (or the part of it that isn't documented) will also be useful to you guys :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts