Next Generation Emulation banner

Did you watch the Vice-Presidental Debate?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 21.4%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering both campaigns felt this debate would help solidify their basess and allow undecided voters to decide who they want as president, do you feel the debate achived that? Also, this debate, IMO, was not the same we saw last Thursday night. I feel both candidates performed well, though Cheney did better IMO because he tried to stay off the defensive, where Bush was for most of his debate. So did you watch it, and if you did, what is your opinion on it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think Edwards did better but not a whole lot better. Cheney is too vlnerable to be on the defensive he kicked off accusing edwards of stuff, but they both did well. I though Cheney would lose his cool and tell Edwards to go ***** himself lol, but he behaved

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
ceramiclion said:
I think Edwards did better but not a whole lot better. Cheney is too vlnerable to be on the defensive he kicked off accusing edwards of stuff, but they both did well. I though Cheney would lose his cool and tell Edwards to go ***** himself lol, but he behaved
While it was close, it seemed Edwards did a better job overall in tonights debate. I also thought that cheney would lose his cool when Haliberten was brought up, but he handled himself profesionally. Also, i dont like the sitting down thing, they sould be standing up.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ceramiclion said:
Well I was referring to Cheney doing more than what Bush did last Thursday. "It's hard work." The answer to almost everything and in almost every sentence Bush said. Now I aint saying he's wrong-he's right, but saying that a billion times aint going to help the American people. I think Cheney made up for Bush's dismal performance. I'm still going with Bush, though I cant vote. Edwards said that he and Kerry would restore credibility, yet both of them used a same lie: the price of the Iraq war, for example. Kerry and Edwards said $200 billion. It is between $120-130 billion as Cheney said. How can Kerry and Edwards be credible when they are lying in their own debates?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kerry/Edwards are not lying -- independent facts-checkers agreed that their numbers are valid.

Anyone who saw Bush address the UN saw the same stone-faced group of world leaders refusing to applaud when he was speaking to them as though they were children.

We'd be hard-pressed to find someone who could do a better job of pissing off the entire world against the US than what's been done in the past four years.

It's time for a change.

Rand.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think both did an admirable job today unlike the last debate. But neither of them made really huge errors like Bush did so it basically comes down to party alligience on who won this one.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Looks kinda lopsided in opinions again...on MSNBC:

Who won the debate? * 834165 (!!!) responses

VP Dick Cheney 33% Sen. John Edwards 67%

Heck, he's winning on *FOX* news.

a. Vice President Cheney (46%)

b. Senator Edwards (53%)

As for me, I had no clear preference, although Edwards always has his interesting way with words...

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
The Vice-Presidental debate wasn't as interesting as the Presidental one.

Both Cheney and Edwards were equally matched in speaking skills. (Unlike Bush vs. Kerry)

Though I didn't like the fact that Cheney was mumbling out his answers. I could barely hear him.

Time for round two of the presidental debates!

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
We heard some of it on a radio talk show...to us it sounded like Cheney was mopping the floor with Edwards, but of course that is only in the half hour we heard. Of course ole Left and Right Wingers will tell a different tale.

As far as Independant Fact Checkers...where are their sources of info? Unless they have access to the actual documentation, statements, and raw figures (Most likely no) then they are accessing the information from outside sources leaning towards either party. Thats like saying that we listen to everything the News channels say because they are suppose to be an independant news source, and neutral on the issues..hehe

bah...200 billion or 120 billion...thats still a lot of friggin money that will bring a slow turnaround...we picture Iraq like the Popeye character "Wimpy".."We will gladley pay you tuesday for a hamburger today"

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well, nobody got "0WN3D!!!" this time around.

Cheney held his ground and displayed a good command on information (even when going into spin-meister mode with questions relating to Iraq), but his d-r-o-n-i-n-g approach hardly kept my attention. -- He ain't got no game,:p coming across as loveable as a cold fish.
He was probably at his most approachable when answering the question about his own political career, ruminating with a sheepishly humble charm. A revealing moment of silence came when he chose to level NO arguments against Edwards' defense for same-sex unions: Cheney's non-responsiveness was understandable given that his own daughter is openly gay, but it doesn't reflect well on team unity when even the VP is seen to be silently against Bush's proposed policy.

Edwards began by riding too heavily on the comet-tail of Kerry's performance "last Thursday night" (which he referenced repeatedly), even reusing some of the same material verbatim.
"We will smash and kill the terrorists!!! Kill kill !!!":smash: ... His voice doesn't have Kerry's command authority, but he did a fair job calling out Cheney's insinuated connections between 9/11 and Iraq, and badmouthing Halliburton. :)
He did best when forcefully underlining the differences in domestic policies, talking about tangible plans for importing prescription drugs and taxing high wage-earners (>$200,000) . He also played well to humanistic appeal with personal anecdotes about his visit to Israel, the sad story about the young injured girl he had represented in his days as a lawyer, and especially with the widely relatable imagery in the "kitchen table" story of his childhood, which ran a stark contrast to Cheney's terror-scare closing remarks.

The media will be milking for sound bites as usual, but nothing here really jumped out at me (other than the feel-good Americana of Edwards' kitchen table memories). ... There was too much talk about Iraq, dancing around questions about who's better capable of handling the problem while dodging responsibility for why things fumbled in that direction in the first place, which is where the buck should stop.
Also, from her expression, the moderator clearly didn't appreciate getting snubbed with rhetoric (from both candidates) on her question about how to alleviate the high AIDS statistic for African-American women.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GALVATRON said:
He did best when forcefully underlining the differences in domestic policies, talking about tangible plans for importing prescription drugs and taxing high wage-earners (>$200,000) . the moderator clearly didn't appreciate getting snubbed with rhetoric (from both candidates) on her question about how to alleviate the high AIDS statistic for African-American women.
Both of these points are very important. Something I hate about these debates is that the topic of Iraq always gets the most amount of time from both sides. We now "know" their is no WMD, but I still think he just got rid of it, 3 months is plenty of time to do that and he could have started even earlier. But thats just my opinion. We can say the war is right, or wrong, it makes no difference since the coalition troops are still there and will either finish the job or leave and Iraq be plunged into civil war. I mean no disrespect to those serving in Iraq, but how many more times are we going to ram this topic into the ground? What happened happened and you cannot go back and change it. I really want to see the second presidental debate, but im going to miss it cause I also want to go to my high school's sixman football game.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
bahamut_2006 said:
I really want to see the second presidental debate, but im going to miss it cause I also want to go to my high school's sixman football game.
Uh...can't you record it? I figure after "losing" the first two debates, the third debate should be more interesting than the previous ones.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
Nel said:
Looks kinda lopsided in opinions again...on MSNBC:

Who won the debate? * 834165 (!!!) responses

VP Dick Cheney 33% Sen. John Edwards 67%

Heck, he's winning on *FOX* news.

a. Vice President Cheney (46%)

b. Senator Edwards (53%)

As for me, I had no clear preference, although Edwards always has his interesting way with words...
liberal groups rallied and specifically went to vote on fox. It's by far not a scientific poll.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nel said:
Uh...can't you record it? I figure after "losing" the first two debates, the third debate should be more interesting than the previous ones.
Good idea, but I dont have anything to record it with. I hope Bush does better this time around or I may consider Kerry to be a more capable leader (never thought I would say that, I think Kerry's an idiot on foreign policy, though I do like his idea of rolling back tax cuts for the wealthy)
As far as who won the debate, IMO it was tied, but on ABC when I watched the post-debate discussion they gave Cheney 43% and Edwards 35%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts