Next Generation Emulation banner

Has the UNO been successful?

• No, its FAIL

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • It's failed 90% of its aims; but still somewhat successful at tasks like refugee accommodation, aid

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • It's been totally successful!

Votes: 5 17.9%
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been pondering over this for a while (yeah, I'm bored :D), and was wondering, has it really been as successful as it claim? The League of Nations was established after World War I with the aim of preventing future warfare, but it failed miserably when World War II occured and turned out to be even bloodier then I.

MY JUDGMENT:

The aims of the UNO are as follows:

• To prevent the world from future warfare

• To ensure that all people have basic human rights
  • To establish equal rights between small and large countries

• To ensure countries respect international law and obey treaties
  • To work for higher standards of living and social welfare
    Status: Somewhat successful (though I'm not sure about that either)
  • To provide economic aid to developing countries via the IMF.

- The IMF is nothing more then a black-mailing organization; it gives zilch in terms of aid and only dictates the governing policy of a country according to the USA's will.

- The whole idea of a Security Council who can veto any decision even if all 160 other countries disagree with something is also HEAVILY slanted against any non-allies of the 5 members.

- The UNO itself is a puppet organization whose policy is dictated by the USA.

- I agree that sub-organizations like UNESCO, UNICEF and the UNHCR have been somewhat successful in achieving their aims (only partially though). In any case, they are only side-line aims, the main aim of the UNO was to maintain overall world peace and stability and it has failed MISERABLY at that.

Discuss :p

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Thats a big FAIL from me.

The world will not be at peace until you elect me world leader ^_^

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,484 Posts
The polls is highly biased towards your views. Also, the first post which should be generally neutral in order to offer a balanced discussion is you just stating your POV.(you can only put your POV some posts after) I request:

a) a thread remake :p
b) for you to edit your first post, and for the poll options to be edited to offer more balanced choices.

·
Curiously Cheddar
4,521 Posts
Those are its goals. They wouldn't be goals if they already succeeded.

****, if all the above had been done, there wouldn't be a UN in the first place. They strive to fulfill as much of those goals as is possible...

Odds are, they'll never fully fulfill a single one of them. But, if in the end they save even one life, then their cause is justified.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
...last i looked, everyone was still dieing of aids and dirty water in a whole bunch of thirld world countries....

UN doesn't appear to be doing anything about the catholics that refuse to promote safe sex.

·
Curiously Cheddar
4,521 Posts
...last i looked, everyone was still dieing of aids and dirty water in a whole bunch of thirld world countries....

UN doesn't appear to be doing anything about the catholic **** that refuse to promote safe sex.
United Nations Accomplishments & Achievements
5. UNICEF spends more than $800 million a year, primarily on immunization, health care, nutrition and basic education in 138 countries.
17. Providing Safe Drinking Water * Available to 1.3 billion people in rural areas during the last decade.
Its run by people, not gods. One thing at a time.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
SQL.... posting inflammatory comments doesn't seem like the best way to promote intelligent discussion from my humble POV.

the catholic church must be held accountable

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
is that sarcasm?

*points out george bushes war against islamic states*

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
You mean world peace is easy? Well, damn. I thought human nature of killing and fighting would have been difficult to change.

·
Registered
12,014 Posts
UN doesn't appear to be doing anything about the catholic **** that refuse to promote safe sex.
Hi there. As one of those "catholic ****" I would like to point out that the position of abstinence-only education, while hardly ideal in the real world, is hardly saying they don't promote safe sex. Actually, no sex at all IS the safest sex. And what in the world any of this has to do with the UN in the first place is beyond me.

Keep the bin behavior to the bin please.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
they DON'T promote safe sex. abstinence is a lifestyle choice and has nothing to do at all with the notion of safe sex.

ok, lets word this so the catholics get it >.<

Man marries woman.
Woman was born with Aids.
Man is clean of aids.

Since the notion of Abstinence only has been taught. These pair are of the belief that because they are now married, He will not get teh AIDS.

BAM, Catholics just condemned another person to AIDS.

Teach safe sex. Abstinence DOES NOT WORK.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
InA! That aid does FAR more damage then it does good.

- Increase foreign debt and the chances of trade embargo.
- The IMF dictates policy-making, the financial minister is basically taking orders from the IMF, the recent 40% rise in electricity rates, rise in gas prices, and 20% rise in food items: ALL because of the IMF
- The aid is deficient; $500 million were given lately. Out of this, half the money is given to the military, while the other half is spent to improve public infra-structure and to house the 2 million Afghan refugees taking shelter here (I hate them). The remaining 250 million isn't enough for a full-fledged military operation in the tribal region.

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
Yeah the IMF and World Bank are just traps anyway. They lend money to countries in need, but they have to privatize their water, electricity, transports etc in exchange, resulting in dramatic raises in prices for the people.
Only some higher ups of these poor countries benefit from these privatizations, that's why some call the IMF and WB's work 'briberization'.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
dispand the army and feed the poor imo.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol the army is the only good, organized institution in the country. It's the 6th best in the world, no way is it gonna get disbanded.

Well you are right in that 50% of the annual budget goes to the military leaving behind little :D

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
lol the army is the only good, organized institution in the country. It's the 6th best in the world, no way is it gonna get disbanded.

Well you are right in that 50% of the annual budget goes to the military leaving behind little :D
You do realize that if there were no armies in the world; there would be no one to fight?

Dumbledore Dies

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.