Next Generation Emulation banner

The Sony/IBM/Toshiba Future Processor

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Cloud Strife 7 
#1 ·
Hi i was just wondering about the Sony IBM And Toshiba future PS3 proccesor
The processor Futures Is:

Multi-thread, multicore architecture.
Supports multiple operating systems.
Substantial bus bandwidth to/from main memory, as well as companion chips.
Flexible on-chip I/O (input/output) interface.
Real-time resource management system for real-time applications.
On-chip hardware in support of security system for intellectual property protection.
Implemented in 90 nanometer (nm) silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology.

And when this processor will be released to the PC Then I Think PCSX2 Will Work Pefectly Smooth

What do you think about that?

#2 ·
i doubt pcs will change from x86 to the cell processor (based on MIPS), so i wouldnt get too excited ;)

and no, its likely PCSX2 would have to be rewritten once the new OS came out, along with the new pcs and it would only work for the few that had them setups.

#3 ·
DuduMan said:
On-chip hardware in support of security system for intellectual property protection.
Ooh.. I'm just dying to have that in my next CPU. :rolleyes: Seriously, just that feature is likely to hurt adoption of the Cell architecture(for home use, business is another matter), much less the fact that right now none of your software will run on a Cell processor(without emulation and then it would be really slow).

#4 ·
I don`t know why it sounds so nice. I`m thinking that if this is ever implemented in a pc processor, then you`re gonna have a hard time making an emulator run on it ( 1) I think that you have to by a licence from Sony to implement a code or something into you program for it to make it work on that processor, thus possibly making the emulator closed-source and boughted istead of given for free 2) emulators or not pretty well seen by companies who have consoles)

#6 ·
actually, the cell processor is currently ranked 16th, on the list of supercomputers due to the tests that sony ran on the processor... this is the based on the amount of data that the processor can crunch so to speak at its highest possible yield.

So technically, i'm sure you could emulate every single current x86 program, and have it run hella fast...

BUUUTTTT... Where are they going to get an operating system?

I surely haven't heard microsoft bothering to do something about it.

whilest i'm at it... i'll add another but

I also read they were considering moving cell into the desktop market...
Common sense would dictate that this thought didn't last so long for sony due to the type of OS support they would need....

then again, who knows... maybe PS3 HAS an operating system (much like xbox ran off of a slimmed down windows with directx)... and maybe this huge corporation knows what its talking about...

like anything, we'll wait and see, and 90% of everybody will expect this cup to be half empty so don't look forward to much excitement in the community about it... i mean... x86 hasn't been messed with since risc architecture... and even risc is dying out now due the the fact that x86 instruction sets catching up (and officially by this year, finally being a true multitasking processor) Even apple will be sporting "Intel Inside". *sigh*

but in a way, maybe this is why sony thinks they might be able to move in and be the new apple...
But i keep ranting so i'mma stop now...

#8 ·
I've said this before, but I'll say it again :)

The cell processor is not very suitable for a PC, it's good for entertainment sure, but a lot of programs that run on a PC require things such as good branch prediction, and large cache memories. Both of which the cell is lacking. Not to meantion what refraction said about the X86 architecture.

#9 ·
I'm really suprised more people on this site arn't worried about what this sort of police-ware will mean for emulation. It is quite close to being implemented(Windows Longhorn, Intel's "Le Grande" and AMD's "Presidio").
I am a little woried. But I am thinking of the "offer and demand" rule that curently shapes the market. If people don`t like to have a processor/OS that will tell them what to run and what not, then they won`t buy it, and AMD/Intel/Microsoft will lose a lot of money. And right now I`m thinking of open-source programs and homebrew programs, that won`t run because they don`t have some kind of security signature. That can really make people mad.We`ll just have to wait and see...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.