Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****ty day of school, came home, and jumped for joy. The RIAA/MPAA rein of terror is over.....the Supreme court refused to listen to the case, making the case set by a lower court in stone....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1804&e=2&u=/washpost/20041013/tc_washpost/a29254_2004oct13

It's one of the biggest setbacks yet to the entertainment industry's legal maneuverings (replete with lawsuits, subpoenas and courtroom drama) to fight digital piracy, but to get a clear picture of what the court did, readers had to turn to the trade publications and wire service reports.

"The recording industry may not agree, but the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) thinks personal privacy is far more important that music piracy," Red Herring reported. "On Tuesday, the high court refused to entertain an appeal of a unanimous 2003 decision by the District of Columbia Court of Appeals that held that copyright holders cannot force Internet providers to identify file sharers using a mere subpoena. Industry watchers see this as yet another blow that the recording industry has taken in its fight against online file sharing -- a fight it is slowly losing. The lawsuits in question were between New York's Verizon Internet Services and the Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites) (RIAA (news - web sites)), headquartered in Washington, D.C."

Bloomberg noted that the Supreme Court "refused to make it easier for the recording industry to force Verizon Communications Inc. and other Internet service providers to identify subscribers who share copyrighted songs online." Wired News said the court's action is "effectively stopping one of the legal tactics of the music business as it tries to stamp out piracy."

The Associated Press, however, reported that yesterday's decision does not signal the end of the road for the Verizon-RIAA case. "The Supreme Court on Tuesday sidestepped a dispute over whether Internet providers can be forced to identify subscribers illegally swapping music and movies online. The subject, however, may be back at the court soon. The Bush administration agrees with recording and movie companies which want to use a 1998 law to get information about Internet users, but the administration also had encouraged the Supreme Court to wait to settle the issue. The recording industry had sought court intervention now, arguing that more than 2.6 billion music files are illegally downloaded each month and that the law is needed to identify culprits," the AP said.
one last hurdle though....elect Kerry. But wiht the war in Iraq and al that other junk, if Bush gets reelected, this probaly won't be brought up again for a long long time.

This does not mean everyone is safe....it will stop the mass filing of subopenas, since the RIAA will now have to do their dirty work instead of relying on ISPs to translate the IPs.....believe me, tracking an IP to 1 specific house is NOT easy to do ;)

drink ae on me boys :beer:

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Thank the lord..

edit: True, RZetlin.. they'll never give up their *****ing.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
RIAA is getting too far with their move. the way they are acting, you can expect for a permission to enter each and every home, seach the PC's for pirated stuff, Delete and Sue.:mad:

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Kirby said:
****ty day of school, came home, and jumped for joy. The RIAA/MPAA rein of terror is over.....the Supreme court refused to listen to the case, making the case set by a lower court in stone....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1804&e=2&u=/washpost/20041013/tc_washpost/a29254_2004oct13

one last hurdle though....elect Kerry. But wiht the war in Iraq and al that other junk, if Bush gets reelected, this probaly won't be brought up again for a long long time.

This does not mean everyone is safe....it will stop the mass filing of subopenas, since the RIAA will now have to do their dirty work instead of relying on ISPs to translate the IPs.....believe me, tracking an IP to 1 specific house is NOT easy to do ;)

drink ae on me boys :beer:
Nope. The RIAA still can force the ISP to provide the user information based on IP address.

The difference is that previously they were trying to use a part of the DMCA to "skip" some steps to get that information, but because of this decision they will have to follow the proper procedures and file a "John Doe" lawsuit with some reasonable evidence before getting personal information.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the Supreme Court, it was a decision of one of the lower courts. All the Supreme Court did was say "sorry, we see no reason to to get involved in this issue right now" when the RIAA tried to appeal to them.

[]s Badaro

S

·
0 Posts
good. now if the starforce copy protection will be deemed illegal I'd be even happier ;)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Hehe. *Dances on his side of the Canadian border*. :evil:

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
Reichfuher said:
Hehe. *Dances on his side of the Canadian border*. :evil:
hahahahaa!! *Party up with Reich and brings some beer* :evil:

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
And that's why I love Canada! But now that the RIAA is kaput, temporarily, the USA can get back to downloading... more.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Samor said:
good. now if the starforce copy protection will be deemed illegal I'd be even happier ;)
yeah... damn Toca 2 ^^

S

·
0 Posts
trackmania too...
it crashes the pc when trying to install daemon tools...evil. There are workarounds, though.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Samor said:
trackmania too...
it crashes the pc when trying to install daemon tools...evil. There are workarounds, though.
And people find it strange when I say that copy-protections are making it much harder for me to BUY games. ;)

[]s Badaro

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
or you could be decent people, grow up, and stop stealing music and start doing like I am and using places where you can download individual songs for $1 a pop....honestly there is no excuse anymore, you are just thieves if you are still downloading mainstream music with filesharing and are giving a bad name to file sharing if it truely isnt meant for piracy.

·
Registered
774 Posts
OMG, do we have one of the RIAA's army of brainwashed zombies among us oO? I agree that if you download music 24/7 and never spend a penny on a CD you are doing something wrong, but downloading does not neccesarily equate to stealing.

<RANT>
In order to steal something you actually have to take something away from someone that they had, that they won't have anymore once you take it. Therefore, you can't really steal non-material goods. Personally I think the whole concept of possesion really breaks down if you try to apply it to something that doesn't physically exist. But nonetheless, copyright law attempts to do that, and fails rather miserably.

I think the current system of copyright that we have really doesn't work that well when it comes to data transmitted via the internet, because there are so many ways you can argue against it's validity. For one, data is really just a bunch of 1's and 0's, it is completely meaningless without interpretation. MP3's are useless unless you have software that can decode them, so how do you argue that what they are actually is copyrighted music? If someone developed a codec that somehow decodeded a DLL in windows as a copyrighted song, does that mean Microsoft has to start paying the RIAA royalies? Another thing, if you can sell something that can be duplicated infinately, then isn't that like a liscence to print money? It breaks the system of capitalism to allow people to do this.

Of course no one wants to admit these problems because if they did they would actually have to figure out a way to fix them, and I don't think either the government or the RIAA has any clue how to do that.

Well Personally I believe the solution is a flat fee to download as much as you want. You could have seporate fees for all the major types of media (music, movies, video games, ect.) so everything could be priced fairly according to the overhead involved in production. This would work, and people would be happy since they wouldn't be limited to how much entertainment they could enjoy by how much money they happen to have at a given time, as long as they could afford the flat fee. The people who created the content would get the money they deserve as well, as long as the flat fee agreed upon is fair. The RIAA is too greedy for this type of thing though. They think it's easier to bleed people dry if you charge them seporately for every song they want to hear. Believe me, they'd charge you per listen for a song if they could.

Anyway, for now I say download what you want as long as you are continuing to contribute money to the people responible for creating it, even if you can't afford to pay for everything you get. As long as you do this, the industies supported by copyrighted works will be fine, and eventually this whole mess in the copyright system will be fixed. If however you don't pay for anything, and you can afford to do so, then you can rest assured that you are the type of person who will be responsible for all of us getting screwed over by greedy corporate goons.
</RANT>

Umm... so, if you disagree with my views feel free to debate them, but let's not start a flame war ok :)?

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Well i for one do not want to pay to listen to one damn song,i do not download albums just some songs,we should be allowed to download some songs for free rather than this bs pay for it or your a thief garbage,now back to topic this is good hopefully the riaa will get more kicking in their asses.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts