Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We haven't done one of this in a while, and i came up with a new set of problems. Here is an easy one

Find the values of the letters for this little word game :) (decimal system)

USA + USSR = PEACE

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Errr... not really. In fact, by doing some deduction you can get some of the numbers without doing a single operation :D
For a hint...
Check the number of digits each operator has

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that is indeed a solution, though in the one i had we didnt assigned that number to the P... aw well, that one was easy :)

Here is another one from the Snark Discussion List

There is a prison with N prisoners, each one allocated in a different cell. One day, the warden tells them the following. All prisoners will be interrogated, one by one, in the interrogation room. Each prisoner will be interrogated arbitrary often. In the interrogation room, there is a switch with the positions 'on' and 'off'; the present position is 'on'. The prisoners are free to observe and turn the switch during each interrogation. The warden will not turn the switch. All prisoners will be released as soon as one of them correctly tells the warden that all prisoners have been interrogated at least once. However, if the claim is incorrect, they will never get free. Beside the
switch, there is no exchange of information possible between the prisoners. They now get one hour to devise a strategy that will guarantee their release.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Solution for the first one:

943 + 9447 = 10390

I'll try the next one later.

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok, since no one posted the answer, I will put it in spoilers. This problem is a good example of lateral thinking :)

The point is telling one single prisioner to be the counter. When a non-counter prisioner enters the interrogation room for the first time, he will turn the switch on. If it's already on, he will leave it at like that, and he will turn it on in his second, third or in the n-esim visit he finds it off. After that he wont touch the switch. When the counter prisioner finds the switch on, he will count it and turn the switch off. When he counts up to X-1 (where X is the number of prisioners), it means all prisioners have been interrogated.

Ok ill post a(much) easier one this time

a=b
a²=b²
a²-b²=b²-ab
(a+b)(a-b)=-b(a-b)
a+b=-b
a=-2b (but a=b)
a=-2a
1=-2
what's wrong here? :p

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
It doesn't look like a cute Kirby?

(>' ')>

:D

·
Registered
774 Posts
Proto said:
Ok ill post a(much) easier one this time

a=b
a^2=b^2
a^2-b^2=b^2-ab
(a+b)(a-b)=-b(a-b)
a+b=-b
a=-2b (but a=b)
a=-2a
1=-2
what's wrong here? :p
You can't cancel out (a-b) on the fifth line. I dunno why exactly, but it's obviously screwing things up.

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, your line of thought is correct, but not complete till you give me the why :D

·
band
4,912 Posts
ill try ...because A-B = 0. in order to cancel them out, you wud need to divide 0 by 0, which is illegal.

EDIT: maybe i shud make myself clear, you linear algebra freak EDIT 2: "linear algebra freak" was pointed at [email protected] u for bringing my school life to these forums.

A=B
A^2-B^2 = B^2 - A^2 = 0
(A+B)(A-B)= B^2-AXB =0
(A+B)(A-B)=B(B-A)=0
(A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B)=0 * since A=B,A-B=B-A=0
the next step, where you "cancel" out, is simply dividing the entire expression by A-B, which is 0. The axioms of the number system define this as being illegal. Hence, everything onwards is screwed.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
D.D. said:
ill try ...because A-B = 0. in order to cancel them out, you wud need to divide 0 by 0, which is illegal.
you can't assume A-B = 0 .....A could be 7 and B could be 5 for all you know

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Could someone fill me in on exactly how the first problem works? :???:

Also, in the second problem, what's the deal with 1 equaling -2? oO

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
(a+b) would still have to have (a-b) as a divisor...err I think.

uh maybe in the move from third line to fourth line there is a problem with the factoring on the left.

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
D.D. is right, except im no linear algebra freak, im a math freak :evil: Now then, when you try to cancel out a-b in the fifth line, you are actually dividing by 0, which leads us to an incongruency.

@Unicron: Its one of the notable products (i dunno if that's the exact translation but

(a+b)(a-b) = a²+ab-ab-b²= a² -b²

@bcrew1375: You can start out by seeing that in a sum of any 2 numbers, the maximum carry you will have will be 1. so you can assume that the P equate to 1. By this, the first R will be summed with just an obligued carry of 1, , so we will make this R equate 9 for making sure there will be a carry.
By further insight, we will know that will we sum this U of 9 with the carry of 1 we will produce a 10, resulting in the E equating zero.

The rest of the operation follows a similar reasoning

About the third problem, it was an incongruency. The point was at finding what went wrong :p

Ok now for

The fourth problem​

Ok this one is about analytical reading :)

A pharmacist had just turned off the lights of the drugstore when a man appeared, and he asked for money. The owner oppened the cash register. Once the money was obtained it was put quickly in the jacket and the young man dissapeared.

You have to answer the following questions with: True, False, or Indetermined

1. A man appeared after the owner turned off the lights
2. The thief was male
3. The man that appeared didn't ask for money
4. The owner oppened the cash register and he left
5. Once the man asked that the money was put in his jacket, he left running
6. Even though the cash register had money, the story doesnt tells how much
7.The thief asked the money to the owner
8. An pharmacist had just turned off the lights when a man appeared
9. It was midday when the man appeared
10 The man that appeared at the drugstore opened the cash register.

Since the context is very delicate, I'll post the problem in the original language (spanish) if someone thinks i made a mistranslation, by all means tell me since its quite important

Un farmacéutico acababa de apagar las luces de la farmacia cuando
apareció un hombre, y pidió dinero. El propietario abrió la caja
registradora. Una vez conseguido el dinero fue colocado apresuradamente
en uno de los bolsillos de la cazadora y el joven desapareció.

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
1. True
2. True
3. False
4. Indetermined
5. Indetermined
6. True
7. Uh, True, I guess... :/
8. True
9. Indetermined
10. False

The context is kind of screwing me up. :/

Here's freetranslation.com's interpretation:

A pharmacist had just put out the lights of the pharmacy when appeared a man, and asked money. The owner opened the cash register. Once it obtained the money was placed hasty in one of the pockets of the hunter and the youth disappeared.

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I corrected some typos... and the answer is... nyaaa..... nope :p

Don't take anything for granted, analyse every single possibility :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts