Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for the misleading title, its not a button of doom, but its still red

anyway, it seems a brittish mp has forgotten about the magical off button, and proposed to the european parliament about a red button for parents to use if theres something inapropriate in a game, which im assuming turns the power off.

British MP Wants a Red Button on Consoles - Parental Panic?
March 18, 2009

A British member of the European Parliament is supporting that body's call for adding a "red button" to video game consoles.

The idea, apparently, is that parents can press the button if some objectionable game content appears onscreen while their children are playing.

GP: Wouldn't it be simpler to just turn off the TV or, better still, check the game content descriptors before allowing the kids to play?

The MP, Glenis Willmott, told This Is Derbyshire:

Research shows video games are useful for educational and medical purposes – and they can be good fun. But not all of them have content which parents will be happy with. Online games, which are easy to download on to a PC or mobile phone, make parental control even harder.

As GamePolitics reported last month, the "red button" recommendation is included in a European Parliament report that is generally favorable toward video games.
British MP Wants a Red Button on Consoles - Parental Panic? | GamePolitics

· Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
I remember my friends mom doing this funny sort of hockey goalie dance in front of the TV once. One of those exotic shampoo commercials came on and she kinda freaked :lol: We were 12 at the time.

This red button is just encouraging parents to be more care free about parenting...

· Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or to be more overprotective of their children,

and in all fairness isnt this what age ratings are for?

· Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
They're just guidelines for parents to follow.

It's always up to the discretion of the parents...as it should be.

P.S.
zidine, your name and pic is reminding me of a dude I used to play an online game with :lol: Haven't seen that picture for awhile :p

· God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
well for one, with the titles being things like "grand theft auto" and such what do parents really expect out of them? thats what i want to know, i mean most of the time the names should be a dead giveaway.

· I'm sexy and I know it!
7,193 Posts
I wrote a page long respond to this, but I figured it's no point... I guess we all agree on this issue anyway.

Old people (read: most people over the age of 25) have absolutely NO CLUE WHATSOEVER what video games are all about.
My fosterparents can barely go online to read the news. I'm the one that's gotta help out with any issue regarding network and/or random stuff with their computers.
My fosterfather (one of my brothers) actually tries to learn stuff, like how to fix something himself if anything should go wrong (like losing the internet connection), however my fostermother has made it very clear that she does not want to learn. She claims she's too old (she's 42.. go figure) to learn new stuff.
I try constantly to show her new stuff to do with the computer, but she refuses to take it in. I guess it's the stubborness that controls her.

I think it's been 10 years since we got our first computer (I was like 10 at the time), and ever since, I've always been wanting to know how it all works. I've been fiddling around with OS settings, game settings, hardware, software and networking, basically everything about the computer. I loved it from the moment I started doing it. And I learn something new constantly. Even now, 10 years later :p, and I know for a fact that I barely know anything about computers still. Which is why I'm planning on going to Uni next year and study computer science.

Games was the first thing that got me interested in the computer. Strategy games in particular. The first game I remember enjoying immensly, was Settlers II, I think.

Now there are so many kids here in Norway (especially my age, and older) that barely knows how to speak and write English.
Not to mention that every English show on the television isn't dubbed (we got it all texted, except for kids' cartoons and some movies), people should be able to pick it up quite fast. English speaking movies and music is also very big here in Norway, so I can't quite understand why some don't understand English. Like my girlfriend. She barely understands a word English, and she doesn't seem to want to learn it.
Watching just about any movie is a bit "weird" tbh, because if there's no Norwegian text, she can barely follow what's being said. If I get my way, I don't use text, I prefer to watch the movie and listen to what's being said, the text distracts me.
Me, on the other hand, I love the English language. If I could choose, we'd be using it instead of the dreadful Norwegian language... It's just so much easier to explain oneself in English.

Point is, if I hadn't played the video games (both on my computer, and on my consoles - SNES, N64, Playstation) my English would probably be like theirs. Horrible, in other words. I reckon it's quite good. At least according to Norwegian standards.

Crap, now I have written another page :p
Meh, it's 2:13 am here atm, I'm tired, and need some sleep. Please excuse me if it doesn't make sense atm, I'm typing stuff as it comes out of my head. doesn't make sense atm, I'm typing stuff as it comes out of my head, which most of the time, only makes sense to me. Go figure.
Anyhow, good night.
/Rant over.

· Knowledge is the solution
7,484 Posts
Old people (read: most people over the age of 25) have absolutely NO CLUE WHATSOEVER what video games are all about.
As a someone to become 25 years old in half a year I take offense of that! Heck, the Atari 2600 generation is from the 70's. Yes, there were consoles before the SNES. Creepy, isn't it?

My fosterparents can barely go online to read the news. I'm the one that's gotta help out with any issue regarding network and/or random stuff with their computers.
My fosterfather (one of my brothers) actually tries to learn stuff, like how to fix something himself if anything should go wrong (like losing the internet connection), however my fostermother has made it very clear that she does not want to learn. She claims she's too old (she's 42.. go figure) to learn new stuff.
I try constantly to show her new stuff to do with the computer, but she refuses to take it in. I guess it's the stubborness that controls her.
Well that's a fallacy of hasty generalization. There are tons of different people out there, and there are tons of savvy techies who are well over their 30's. Certainly your parents may not belong to that group, but that doesn't mean that that automatically makes every parent a retrograde who wants to educate their children the 'good ole style' with a whip and wielding absolute authority', all the while making their own butter and prohibiting technology more advanced than a candle.

Me, on the other hand, I love the English language. If I could choose, we'd be using it instead of the dreadful Norwegian language... It's just so much easier to explain oneself in English.

Point is, if I hadn't played the video games (both on my computer, and on my consoles - SNES, N64, Playstation) my English would probably be like theirs. Horrible, in other words. I reckon it's quite good. At least according to Norwegian standards.
Well, there is this arcane activity known as reading that has the same effects.

It is not really a matter of playing video games. It has more to do with self study.

Or possibly/simply not get your 10yo children that copy of Gran Theft Auto IV they wanted.
well for one, with the titles being things like "grand theft auto" and such what do parents really expect out of them? thats what i want to know, i mean most of the time the names should be a dead giveaway.
Those are only extreme and well too obvious cases, which should not actually be taken as an absolute guideline of what to expect from a title (one should not judge a book/game by its cover/title and stuff...) While I am certainly not excusing parental negligence, titles such as Bully are not really giveaways where one should automatically know that one should not let an under-16 kid in the immediate vicinity of the cartridge.

In fact, while it is certainly not a 'functionally' brilliant idea, from my POV it has a very clear underlying message. It is an appeal to parents to be actually more involved with their children entertainment. It is a message telling them, we are giving (In fact you already had it, but oh well) you the power to control the content that will be reaching your kid. Now see this red, shiny button? Now, freaking use it!'

Something on those lines. Red, shiny buttons tend to get the message across, even if you don't want it.

· Tushy :3
7,315 Posts
Seems like a freaking cop out that the new lazy generation of parents need to make their lives just so much simpler. Hey, kids! Guess what? Mommy and Daddy are too busy with their own damn lives and they're too lazy to actually read the labels on the video games. But hey, if the video game is going to make their child stop crying for a week, they'll grab it. Timmy finally gets what he has wanted and begins to shoot zombie nazis on TV. Mommy comes down the stairs and finds little Timmy blowing the **** out of the zombie heads with heaven knows what gun! Mommy, instead of running towards the xbox to ram it underneath her Prada heels, or running and blocking the tv with her entire body, she simply opens up her purse and produces A MASSIVE RED BUTTON!!!!! Now, this button makes all of life easier. I mean, it has pretty diamonds and sparkleys on it. Screw reading the warnings on the back of the video game. That may cost up too much of your so damn precious time. Screw the fact that you just spent fifty dollars or even sixty dollars and that could all have been saved in just thirty seconds before Timmy tore the box apart to get to his game, instead of taking the game back to the store.

THANK YOU GOVERNMENT FOR HELPING US TODAY BY HAVING US OWN THESE- the BIG RED BUTTON!!!!!!

THANK YOU GOVERNMENT FOR MAKING US PAY BIGGER TAXES TO THE MINDLESS AND IMMATURE PARENTS OF THESE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't even imagine what we would have done if it weren't for that button!

:thumb:

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN GOVERNMENT FOR MAKING SUCH A MIRACULOUS TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
lol haha hilarious post bree.

· I m meow desu! ^_^
5,632 Posts
They should place tnt in their dirty brain

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.