Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This will be long and it will be glorious, if you like to watch crazy guitar then read this thread to the end.

I'm fed up of seeing these top players lists composed by armchair watchers and amateurs.

This is my Informed list of the top ten players in the world.
It's based on consistency, technique, performance, melodious composure, mastery of dynamics, theoretical based composure, flair and relative ability to the average underground pro.

Number 10.
Anton Oparin.

Many videos circulate of young players and people bypass any criticism because of their age.
Anton is the real deal and not on my top 10 list because of his age but his sheer cleanliness of playing Paul Gilbert's 'let the computer decide' on a reference a440 tuned guitar.

The string skipping on such a setup requires a lax accuracy that's astoundingly well pronounced with unconscious confidence and truly PERFECT technique.

Watch the last minute from 6.10 to 7.10. This musician is 11 and smokes me when I was 17.

Number 9.
Guthrie Govan.

Guthrie was a dude who was a guitar fanatic working in fast food.
He learned everything that interested him with an almost infinite pool of determination.

He submitted fan tablature of some Shawn Lane Music to an elitist guitar magazine called 'Guitar Techniques' and they took him on.

Guthrie has learned thousands of the greatest guitar songs to an unthinkable level of accuracy absorbing the phrasing of many revered players.
He then wrote some books and made a name for himself in the underground communities.
His playing and phrasing can only be described as 'musical tasty cakes for your greedy ears'

Everything he plays has a sheen of omfg about it.
This.Is.Guthrie

(8 mins of guitargasm)

Numbarrr 8ss
Paul Gilbert

El Pablo Gilberto, do I have to even profess his technical prowess?

He may be known to some of you as the guy who taught buckethead or the pinup from Mr Big.
Maybe you've seen him play guitar with a powerdrill etc.

This is Paul, the most down to earth guy in the scene. Light hearted and incredibly goofy and funny.
Making rogue impromptu songs about keyboards not working and covering the spice girls.

Paul Is known as a player for both his incredibly successful solo career where he teaches better than any other and has a back catalogue as large and colourful as the beatles.

He played in racer x spawning thousands of clones like buckethead because of one thing. We all want to be like him, have these unique frightening chops, wear bright red leather jeans and have guitars with frills on the neck

Paul. The keyboards ain't working but the crowd sure are loving every moment with Pablo.

Paul gets 8 because of his conviction. Guitar Wars 1985.
Guitar Wars 1985

jesus

Number 7.
Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal

Let me say this first, yes he plays in guns and roses....

But this is Bumblefoot, his music transcends any modern construct. Only Conlon Nancarrow can compete for the outside sound that surrounds Ron.

His choice here is not biased because he gave me great relationship advice (tyvm) but because his technique is unique. He has few imatators and the best of them don't even come close. He's off the wall and his playing is that of cool mastery and experimentation.

Ron is renowned for his perfect pitch and can play above the fretboard with a sewing thimble and also is undoubtedly the best fretless player alive (although purists may disagree)

Mr Fretless.

Number 6.
Shawn Lane.

I can't believe I just ranked shawn lane number 6 but yeah.

To the normal person: Shawn was a legendary underground player, friends of all the greats and universally known as the best. Mr wtf himself.
His playing is off the scale with regards to sheer economical technique and his music is walls of ambience layered through subtle and beautiful inflections of his playing.

Skip to 30 seconds in, I promise you will not believe your eyes.
/he scared us all back then, rip Shawn.

Number 5.
Jason Becker

Has been paralyzed since he was 19 but the world still sings his name.
Serrana, yeah weakest thing of his to choose but it completes the shock value of seeing him.

Number 4.
Rusty Cooley

Simply put, he has the best all round technique of a guitarist alive today.
No real contest.

He strives to improve and never becomes complacent transcending what the perceived latent human abilities of playing define.

Number 3
Marshall Harrison

The worlds best economy picker, a picking technique that bests anyone who has ever existed.
Sincerely, he's just taken it to the max.

NUMBER 2
Thor Von Clemson

Oh yeaahh!
Who can play better than a God?

NUMBER 1
THE BEST GUITARIST OF ALL TIME.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you .......Fred Durst

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Videos 6 and 7 are the same.

I half expected you to place Buckethead in the top 3 :p. Great guitarists nonetheless. No idea who any of them are, but just from the above videos, my jaw dropped a little.

·
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Videos 6 and 7 are the same.

I half expected you to place Buckethead in the top 3 :p. Great guitarists nonetheless. No idea who any of them are, but just from the above videos, my jaw dropped a little.
Nah, Buckethead puts a lot of focus on Gilbert's nondecatuplet based ideas.
He really relies on them when he has to rip it up.

If he put more focus on the ambiance layering and riff stuff instead then he might be in the top 20

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Excuse me, but this list has a severe lack of David Gilmour and John Petrucci; the first of whom is an absolute must in lists like this. Also, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani should be at least honorable mentions.

Regardless I give this list a 6/10, because Paul Gilbert is on it and he kicks ass (and really needs to be higher on that list).

·
band
4,912 Posts
I was just going to say...where is Petrucci and Vai ?! :D

I guess its a matter of opinion but I'm happy to see Mako Eyes agrees with me.

·
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Excuse me, but this list has a severe lack of David Gilmour and John Petrucci. The first of which is an absolute must in lists like this. Also, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani should be at least honorable mentions.

Regardless I give this list a 6/10, because Paul Gilbert is on it and he kicks ass (and really needs to be higher on that list).
petrucci? vai? yikes man, i know more deserving players down my local reverb store, seriously

mainstream players who gave up trying to better themselves. in fact they regressed imho
satriani has turned into a wall of cliche since super colossal

no offence to your tastes or anything but i could rhyme off 100 players who should seed them any day

crushing day and the building the church solo were magnificent though

btw anyone says hendrix, van halen or malmsteen and i'll castrate them by using two bricks

I was just going to say...where is Petrucci and Vai ?! :D

I guess its a matter of opinion but I'm happy to see Mako Eyes agrees with me.
if you asked me to list 10 players 5 years ago i would put them in but now i've seen a better level of players who care far more about pushing the boundaries of of playin, people who don't do it for fame or fortune but for the state of flow and the reward of improving

petrucci and vai were magnificient but then they sold out and became complacent

vai's wankery and showmanship is his aim, the music died 3 years ago for him
petrucci became settled and his technique was always cumbersome anyway, there was no unique licks in his repertoire, all dull

Damn it, John. That is freaking hot. ;)
only because you've seen me play cliffs of dover in my underwear

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
petrucci? vai? yikes man, i know more deserving players down my local reverb store, seriously

(more ranting)
*nod* and what about David Gilmour? You can't be any less of a sellout than him. Your "mainstream players who gave up trying to better themselves" argument really doesn't hold true in his regard. However, it is true for Satriani and Vai, which is why I didn't suggest they belong to the main list ;)

It's important to realize that being able to shred at face-melting speeds isn't all that makes a guitarist. It's about the quality and intricateness of their music and how well they present it.

Yes I know, matter of opinion, etc. It's also important to realize that, sometimes, this stuff isn't a matter of opinion. It's not how much you like them that should matter, it's how well they present their playing. I think both Gilmour and Petrucci at least belong in this list for this reason.

Also: If they don't write their own music they don't belong on the list. I don't know if any of those on the list fall under that category, but I'm just saying.

THAT IS THE END OF MY TWO CENTS

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
*nod* and what about David Gilmour? You can't be any less of a sellout than him. Your "mainstream players who gave up trying to better themselves" argument really doesn't hold true in his regard. However, it is true for Satriani and Vai, which is why I didn't suggest they belong to the main list ;)

It's important to realize that being able to shred at face-melting speeds isn't all that makes a guitarist. It's about the quality and intricateness of their music and how well they present it.

Yes I know, matter of opinion, etc. It's also important to realize that, sometimes, this stuff isn't a matter of opinion. It's not how much you like them that should matter, it's how well they present their playing. I think both Gilmour and Petrucci at least belong in this list for this reason.

Also: If they don't write their own music they don't belong on the list. I don't know if any of those on the list fall under that category, but I'm just saying.

Completely agree with your reasoning man.

Errr. where is Yngwie malmesteen
Malmsteen with Boals on vocals: Godlike. Of course due to his shredding nature it usually lacks variety and mostly feeling. It becomes a show rather than the portraying of emotions, that's what I often miss in metal that I could find in older 80's hard rock. Richie Sambora's solos come to mind here.

One guy who I really like for his metal solos is Nils Norberg, unfortunately he quit Nocturnal Rites. He was able to make something special out of every song with his unique style.

·
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Not one person on this list was chosen for speed. Speed doesn't matter. AT ALL

it only appeases lesser players

Technique however is very important in such a list and it just so happens that to an extent speed comes with technique.

Petrucci, his technique is warped, MJR would be better suited than JP,
more grounded and just better developmental writing imo as well

don't get me wrong I'm not preferencing symphony x to downplay Petrucci

I'm a Time Requiem fan actually

I LOVELOVELOVELOVE Gilmour but he just doesn't rank on a players list, his music is iconic, his playing very emotive.
I have his figurines and all the albums, posters of dsotm on my wall and stuff

But sorry he just doesn't have what it takes.

if it's not a matter of opinion then you would have to make this list upon iron-clad rules.
Unless the rules are about who has fans or status then Gilmour wouldn't come close man.

Errr. where is Yngwie malmesteen
His technique is too skewed.
Just watch him play with the wrong fingerings 90% of the time.

His music is technically easy as well, one round of far beyond the sun and you're equipped for his and any other of the generic music he spawned

Malmsteen is about average level of playing from my experiences.
Quite sloppy at times too

instead of Malmsteen as your champion you should have at least said impellittteri and i may have respected that.

Being popular, writing what's perceived to be the best of your genre does not equal being worth a spot in the top 10

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE WHO DOES THE SAME THING AND DOES IT BETTER

Malmsteen with Boals on vocals: Godlike. Of course due to his shredding nature it usually lacks variety and mostly feeling. It becomes a show rather than the portraying of emotions, that's what I often miss in metal that I could find in older 80's hard rock. Richie Sambora's solos come to mind here.

One guy who I really like for his metal solos is Nils Norberg, unfortunately he quit Nocturnal Rites. He was able to make something special out of every song with his unique style.
Yeah, Nils is way better and Sambora is far more deserving than Yngwie

I remember Yngwie well, back then I was naturally jealous to be a gear hound to this fat undeserving man

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Not one person on this list was chosen for speed. Speed doesn't matter. AT ALL

it only appeases lesser players

Technique however is very important in such a list and it just so happens that to an extent speed comes with technique.

Petrucci, his technique is warped, MJR would be better suited than JP,
more grounded and just better developmental writing imo as well

don't get me wrong I'm not preferencing symphony x to downplay Petrucci

I'm a Time Requiem fan actually

I LOVELOVELOVELOVE Gilmour but he just doesn't rank on a players list, his music is iconic, his playing very emotive.
I have his figurines and all the albums, posters of dsotm on my wall and stuff

But sorry he just doesn't have what it takes.

if it's not a matter of opinion then you would have to make this list upon iron-clad rules.
Unless the rules are about who has fans or status then Gilmour wouldn't come close man.
Alright. Your list makes a lot more sense now :)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Yeah, Nils is way better and Sambora is far more deserving than Yngwie

I remember Yngwie well, back then I was naturally jealous to be a gear hound to this fat undeserving man
I wouldn't call it undeserving, he earned his spurs and has given inspiration to many, but when I listen to his music I feel that he took some wrong turns. Listening to the songs on "The Yngwie Malmsteen Collection" album his songwriting is simply off. He plays bloody well, but unfortunately he tries to show it in mediocre heavy metal songs that lack innovation in songwriting.

As for Nils Norberg:
I just love this tune, it was rather odd when my brother was yelling the title while seeing him live with Nocturnal Rites last year. There were about 50 people there, it was like a private concert, especially since I almost knew half of the people personally due to them being either friends I came with or people from my old metal bunker where I used to hang out :p My brother managed to fetch his guitar pick though. Lucky bastard, but at least I got my ticket signed. Great guy, very down to earth, hope he'll make a solo album one day.

When talking about heavy metal guitarists, I want to note Kiko Loureiro too. His music is simply great to listen to if you're in this type of music. He used to play in the Brazilian Angra if I'm not mistaken. My bro is a huge fan of his work, and I haven't heard anything bad from his side.

I truly agree with you Kaizen that you don't need to be a fast player to be a great player. I don't like these solos that are fast for the sake of being fast, solos need to tell something. For that reason I'm just not a big fan of David Shankle's stuff (yes I know I host it on youtube for the man :p), he's a brilliant shredder but the sound on his guitar is off. Also I can't deny his incredible speed and his often great solos, but also too often it seems like it's all about speed. It's like singing, you can cram as many words in a minute as you want, but that certainly won't make it easier or more pleasent to listen to ;)

·
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no joe satriani......and santana ..?? :p
Satriani is crutched now, listen to his recent stuff or live playing.
His licks are pure cliche :(

back in the day he was so innovative playing with his little spanners and out there abience layering

most of us hold something inherent to our writing that joe brought mainstream but the guy is content with himself now and that has really held him back

as for santana, he sounds like he's on the log with his modal styling

truth is - the guy just plays out of key :p

btw, kiko loureiro was number 11, his playing used to keep me up jamming to dream circle :)

God I used to love the guitar scene, until it started becoming so sour and critical

if you haven't noticed this list is satire of the scene, fred durst = a tribute to doug steele, he gets it

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
i heard satriani a while back....and as of santana it depends on personal preference i think..

though i would have put clemson first......but again its a matter a personal preference.....gr8 compilation there btw..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.