Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HR.4077, the Piracy Deterrence and Education Act, has been approved by the United States' House Judiciary Committee.

The bill specifies up to five years' jail for anyone making over a thousand copyrighted works available for download. That's if the infringer is profiting from the action: ordinary P2P users would face up to three years simply for making their collections available.

Thwarted by the courts, copyright holders and their lobby groups, notably the Recording Industry Ass. of America (RIAA), have been forced to file "John Doe" suits against infringers. But HR.4077 brings the full power of the state to their aid:

The FBI will be required to serve as propaganda ministry, or in the words of the bill, "develop a program based on providing of information and notice to deter members of the public from committing acts of copyright infringement through the Internet," and enforcer.

The Feds must "facilitate the sharing among law enforcement agencies, Internet service providers, and copyright owners of information concerning acts of copyright infringement described in paragraph".

The committee asks Congress to discourage the P2P networks from deploying the "guns don't kill people" defence.

"Publicly available peer-to-peer file-sharing services can and should adopt reasonable business practices and use technology in the marketplace to address the existing risks posed to consumers by their services and facilitate the legitimate use of peer-to-peer file sharing technology and software."

The bill also makes it illegal to use a video recorder in a cinema to capture a movie.

The chairman of the House Committee which nodded through the measure, Rep James Sensenbrenner (R.-Wis), was paid $18,000 by the Recording Industry Ass. of America to make a trip to Taiwan and Thailand in January 2003, a breach of the House ethics rules, say critics. [WaPo | Reg] Sensenbrenner said it was a "fact-finding mission", even though his schedule was arranged by the State Department.

But the distinction between State and corporate interests are now so close as to be indistinguishable. ®

Source: The Register
to read this article go to www.zeropaid.com
America is starting to sound like book burning ****'s now .

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
I guess that would be one way of putting it.....

·
Crasher of Castles
7,015 Posts
Well not all people are screwed. Just if you share your copyrighted materials :p. But then again, on the p2p front we are screwed.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
This was expected... But apparently only "anyone making over a thousand copyrighted works available for download" should be worried :p

S

·
0 Posts
NL here, but they're constantly making changes to laws in Yurp as well.... and Yurp thinks it's one big country like the US or something.
I guess that means the following for me:
leech as long as it's ' lawfully permitted' ,after that I'll switch back to 56k :p

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Hehehe, do you know the actual laws hear in Holland Samor? It's only confusing me :p

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
>>But apparently only "anyone making over a thousand copyrighted works available for download" should be worried

Thank god I only have 999 :p I love Canada. :D

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Razor Blade said:
Thank god I only have 999 :p I love Canada. :D
If I were an US resident I would have to delete a few of my shared files to stay on the safe side :innocent:

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
this just gives more reason to start more developement for MUTE and AntsP2P....

but sooner or later, P2P will be forced to go underground....

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
It's not the Pirate act you guys should be worry about in America. It's the Induce Act.

Basically the law will ban any technology that is suspected of inflicting copyright violations. Everything from the iPods to the USB Memory sticks would be banned.

The dark days of digital technology is close at hand.

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
I don't like this pirate act but that Induce Act is BS. I know plenty of people who us items that could potentially be used for piracy for completely legit and legal reasons.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Let's put it this way. Technology has flourished so much in the past 5 or so years especially when it comes to digital music, mp3 players, video players, flash memory etc ... That it would be impossible to stop it all. Yes impossible.

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Hmm, products that would encourage copyright infringement. So, let's see... No more CD/DVD burners, VCRs, no more P2P programs. Better get rid of all programming languages, they could be used to make software that encourages copyright infringement! No more PCs, they could be used to store copyrighted material! Heck, why don't we just get rid of every piece of digital technology ever made!? Seriously, don't they realize just how obscure that is?

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
bcrew1375 said:
Hmm, products that would encourage copyright infringement. So, let's see... No more CD/DVD burners, VCRs, no more P2P programs. Better get rid of all programming languages, they could be used to make software that encourages copyright infringement! No more PCs, they could be used to store copyrighted material! Heck, why don't we just get rid of every piece of digital technology ever made!? Seriously, don't they realize just how obscure that is?
Sweet! Why not not going back to the middle ages aswell? :lol: Back to wooden houses and swords and warhammers as weapons and so on... :smash:

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
ah good thing I live in asia... and hope it will only stick there... if ever that is fully implemented...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts